New to macro...

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Sorry, no images to share just yet, I mainly do portraits and landscapes but will be recieving my macro lens tomorrow so gonna have a go!

Just a couple of things:

1.) Can anyone recommend a good macro book to get me started?
2.) I ordered a used Tamron 90mm macro from London Camera Exchange this afternoon, there was no pic on their site and the description was simply "Tamron 90mm Macro Canon fit". I thought there was only one but it turns out there is a Di and a non Di version, oh no!! I paid £229 for it, do you think it will be the right one for my 40D?

Any help greatly appreciated (y)

Hi Jambo, why would you need a macro book?

get clicking all the everyday objects in reach and figure it out from there :)

Best advice is to dust first :D

no idea about the lens but i'm sure they will take it back if it's not right.

Hi Jambo, why would you need a macro book?

get clicking all the everyday objects in reach and figure it out from there :)

Best advice is to dust first :D

no idea about the lens but i'm sure they will take it back if it's not right.

Haha that's a fair point, kind of what I do now, shoot & learn as I go along! :D

Yeh they're a reputable company and the guy who I dealt with there was really helpful so I'm sure there won't be a problem if it's not the lens I thought it was.

switch everything to manual -

Set the lens to manual focus and wind the focus to its minimum focusing distance - this will give maximum magnification. Set the camera to manual with a aperture of between f11-f16 to start with, a shutter speed of 1/160 and if you have a flash stick that on with ttl if not set the iso to give the correct exposure reading on your meter, fiind something to shoot and get stuck in.

Cheers Dogfish, I shall do just that! I have a flashgun that I can use off camera with radio triggers, would this be useful or is a ringflash required?

Back