New ( to me ) Nikon 80-200 lens on its way

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
Just bought the above, the AF-S version. I will be looking for a teleconverter soon. Teleconverters are totally new to me, so what would be the best one to use with this lens for wildlife on my D300?
I want to use A/F and dont want to lose too much of that f2.8ness!

Allan

Hi Alan,

Best thing to understand is that you are going to lose some of that f2.8ness I'm afraid. A x2 TC will drop you 2 whole stops whilst the x1.4 I believe (I've only got x2s) is only 1stop. The x1.4 is the only one rated to retain your AF ability but I have heard some some lens combinations keeping AF using a x2 (Personally, I can only use MF). Really depends on what focal length you are after.

I suppose I would have liked to get between 350 -400mm, the 1.4 will give me almost the lower end of that. I already have the 70-300VR, just a bit more reach with a brighter image would be fine. But 400mm sounds nice....:love:

Allan

A 2x TC will turn your lens into a 160-400mm f/5.6 lens.
A 1.7x TC will turn your lens into a 135-340mm f/4.7ish lens.
A 1.4x TC will turn your lens into a 110-280mm f/4 lens.

All will autofocus on any Nikon DSLR, so long as you use an AF-S teleconverter.

Having just sold the Kenko 1.4 and bought the Nikon one, I'd recommend spending the extra - the fit alone makes it worth the extra money, my 80-200 always felt as if it was just about to fall off the kenko, but the 70-200 feels rock solid on the Nikon one

Another thing to keep in mind, the bigger TCs render softer images .. the 1.4 TC will give almost a same IQ as without a TC. The 1.7 gets a bit soft, just a tiny bit. The 2 TC gives you really soft images (basically, ignore this TC if you can).

Most of the reviews say to avoid the 2x ( too soft) and recommend the 1.7. That will also give me a useable 300 to 340 mm range ( thanks StewartR ), but that will be in a few weeks when funds allow.
And the info on getting the Nikon version is useful Flash, thanks.
Allan

I have used both 1.4 and 2.0 converters with my 80-200 f2.8, and both allow full function and full AF. I agree that there may be some deterioration in IQ with the 2.0, but you would be hard pushed to notice. As far as 'softness' in images is concerned, it is just that - softness. It doesn't make the images less sharp, so this is easily sorted out in PP.

If using a 2X is the only way you can afford the reach you need, then for gawds sake do it - nothing ventured, nothing gained!!

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a lot of difference in IQ between Kenko and Nikon converters either, and I've used both. Given the price difference, Kenko is the pragmatic choice if you can't afford the Nikon.

Why do you think that Kenko make them in 'Canon white' as well?? Because all the Canon 'L' owners wanted them. They can't be that bad then:LOL::LOL:

Back