New to photography

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and new to photography. All I have done in the past is use compact cameras, mobile phone etc etc

I'm looking at the Nikon D90, is this a good camera to start with, will I be satisfied with it or be looking to upgrade in a few months?

I started with, and still have, a Nikon D40X (basically the D60). It's a great camera whose only downside as far as I'm concerned is that it only takes lenses which have their own internal motor (Nikon AF-S, Sigma HSM, Tamron something or other) which means the opportunities to expand are limited compared to similar level Canons or Sonys, or indeed the D90. If you're looking at getting started though the D60 wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

What attracts you to the D90 -- what sort of photography are you interested in -- have you been into a shop and held it (and the competition)?

I started off with a D40 and loved every minute of it. As my interest in the hobby has grown I decided to get a D90 and haven't regretted it at all. Have a think about what kind of photgraphy you're interested in and do some research on the bodies/lenses too.

The best thing to do in terms of camera bodies is go into a local camera shop and have a play!

I only really started off last year with my DSLR - was a happy snapper with my compact though, I have the D40X and it is an awesome camera. I recommend it as a starting point because you can start with the basics and develop yourself with the camera to the point of using manual settings. I find that the kit lens is pretty good for most types of photography and also recommend you get the research done and get a good thorough book on photography and slr cameras to better understand how it all works.

I'd personally go with the D90 above a D40 or 60 purely for the lens issue that gingerjohn pointed out.

I got a D40 after having to sell up my gear about 18 months earlier and wished quite quickly that i'd saved a bit more and gone for the larger body without the lens limitation (which was a D80 at the time).

I'd also suggest going to a shop and having a hold of both Nikon and Canon etc and go with what you prefer.

I don't think ou can buy a 'bad' dslr as such just a better one!

I started on a D40 too and recently upgraded to a D90. Its a great camera and I don't see me needing to upgrade body at all in the near future.

As mentioned above the D40/X/60 really limits your lens choice needing af-s.

D90 has enabled me to get a nifty fifty and I can't believe how much I love that lens. :)

D90 is a fantastic camera. If I was starting again, it would be with a D90. It's more of a down-graded D700 than an up-graded D70, if you see what I mean, and plenty good enough to hold its place in the market for a good while yet. Not many cameras can claim that IMHO.

My only reservation would be one of budget. If you are stretching it to get this camera and cutting back on the lens to do so, then I would suggest looking at a cheaper body and spending more on the lens.

Which lens to go for? No there's a question :D What is your budget and what do you want to photograph?

Good luck,

Richard.

PS Canon makes damn good cameras as well!

Happy new year and thanks for the reply's.:)

I'm intending to get the D90 with the 18-105VR lens to start off with. I know I will need to end up buying other lenses as I want to do a variety of photography, including close up work, sports stuff, landscape, portrate.

A friend has the D80 which I have had a little play with, he has a few lenses so we will be able to borrow from each other. He also has a flash that I will be able to borrow as well.

No doubt I will be reading lots of posts on here and asking lots of questions.

No doubt I will be reading lots of posts on here and asking lots of questions.

In which case, you've come to the right place. I'm also new to this site, if not to photography, and I have to say it is a very friendly and helpful place, with lots of knowledgeable people willing to share.

D90 with 18-105mm VR lens seems like a very good way to start indeed, and you've obviously got a grasp of what different lenses and stuff can do for you - plus a friend to do swappsies with.

What a fantastic way to start a happy photographic new year :)

Richard.

Back