New to portrait photography - Any good?

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
Portrait photography is something I haven't done before but I need to get some practice in as a new grandchild is due soon.

Bootcamp Module 5-1 by hillwalkinggirl, on Flickr

I wasn't very keen on the background but could only get out into the garden due to operation when my friend called to model for me.

Helpful critique would be welcome please.

Probably would have been better shooting from slightly above your model, bit more flattering perspective .... slightly stretches the neck as opposed to compressing it ...... (trying to be careful here... ) also the white top would not be the nearest thing to the flash which would allow a bit more light on the face ........ if that makes sense ......
Dont really mind the B/G maybe slightly move away from the 3 converging dark areas at the back of her head.

If this is something you havnt done before ............ :clap:

The above is just my opinion and may be ignored as I know very little.

Dave ....

(y)Not to bad a start . I much prefer the 2nd version to the 1st. The crop works better for myself . I would however just tweak the levels. The midtones just lifted alittle would make it alot nicer IMHO

Regards MD(y)

(y)Not to bad a start . I much prefer the 2nd version to the 1st. The crop works better for myself . I would however just tweak the levels. The midtones just lifted alittle would make it alot nicer IMHO

Regards MD(y)

Thanks Dave. I'm not sure the best way to go about doing this. I'm using CS3 and using a curves adjustment layer. Which bit would I need to tweek. I don't want to change the skin tone too much as my friend is Asian.

You could try a reflector (large piece of white paper/card/sheet) for a catchlight so you don't have to use flash.

A wider aperture is good for mushing out the background a bit more.

The without flash picture seems slightly dark. The white blouse is a tiny bit too dark but not far off. Probably wouldn't take much of a lift. There is a pair of catchlights in her eyes even without the flash. It also doesn't have the distracting flash reflection on her teeth as the first one does.

You can diffuse the flash using a bit of tissue paper or thin fabric over it. Also experiment with flash compensation to turn it down a bit as I always find it's always too much.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. I'm not sure the best way to go about doing this. I'm using CS3 and using a curves adjustment layer. Which bit would I need to tweek. I don't want to change the skin tone too much as my friend is Asian.

Just a few tweaks in levels .." Thought I had better reply as it would look bad if I never.." ;)

You could try a reflector (large piece of white paper/card/sheet) for a catchlight so you don't have to use flash.

A wider aperture is good for mushing out the background a bit more.

The without flash picture seems slightly dark. The white blouse is a tiny bit too dark but not far off. Probably wouldn't take much of a lift. There is a pair of catchlights in her eyes even without the flash. It also doesn't have the distracting flash reflection on her teeth as the first one does.

You can diffuse the flash using a bit of tissue paper or thin fabric over it. Also experiment with flash compensation to turn it down a bit as I always find it's always too much.

Thanks Suz. It's always good when other people look at your photos, I never noticed the flash reflection on the teeth of the first one. I was using a white reflector on the second one but my models husband was doing the lighting for me as I couldn't hold it and the camera together. I think a white card would have been better as I would have been able to control this myself.

Back