Beginner New to SLR cameras opinions please

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone

I'm completely new here and to the photography world. I would like some opinions / constructive criticism on my first few photos taken with an SLR.

Just wanting to be able to take better than average pictures when I move over to Australia so for now just a hobbyist but who knows this may be something I follow up more seriously in the near future.

Please be honest, I don't like anything sugar coated

The sunset picture is edited and is a blend of 2 images, I can post both original images if anybody wishes to see them.

image by jessica forster, on Flickr

Ok, I'll have a go..

#1 - really needed a tripod for this one, there's been camera movement during the exposure and the resulting blur detracts from an otherwise very nice composition. Possibly the nicest composition of the shots presented, which is a shame.
#2 - nice leading lines, a little softness but I can't tell if it's technique based or due to compression for the web. This type of night shot really benefits from being crisper.
#3 - lovely colours and a good choice of overall exposure. The curved flare on the right is a little distracting - looking at that flare and the area around the sun I'm wondering if your lens/filter needs a clean? The colour of the clouds is excellent.
#4 - not the same strength of composition as #1 but less motion blur. Looks quite soft, but again this could be compression for the web.

Ok, I'll have a go..

#1 - really needed a tripod for this one, there's been camera movement during the exposure and the resulting blur detracts from an otherwise very nice composition. Possibly the nicest composition of the shots presented, which is a shame.
#2 - nice leading lines, a little softness but I can't tell if it's technique based or due to compression for the web. This type of night shot really benefits from being crisper.
#3 - lovely colours and a good choice of overall exposure. The curved flare on the right is a little distracting - looking at that flare and the area around the sun I'm wondering if your lens/filter needs a clean? The colour of the clouds is excellent.
#4 - not the same strength of composition as #1 but less motion blur. Looks quite soft, but again this could be compression for the web.

Brilliant thank you Alastair, gives me thing to focus on, I now have a tripod so hopefully get more with no motion blur.
2 how do I go forward on getting a crisper shot, I love doing trail lights so this is an area I really want to progress on, this image was taken on a cannon powershot at 15 sec shutter speed and f/8 appature and ISO 100
3 -that you can see on the right is because it was taken through my car window when I was messing about finding the right settings and happened to be one of the only shots I liked however my lens may also need a clean.
4 was on a Nikon D50 at 200iso, appature 22, cannot remember shutter speed, what do you mean in terms of composition?

Thank you for your feedback

Brilliant thank you Alastair, gives me thing to focus on, I now have a tripod so hopefully get more with no motion blur.
2 how do I go forward on getting a crisper shot, I love doing trail lights so this is an area I really want to progress on, this image was taken on a cannon powershot at 15 sec shutter speed and f/8 appature and ISO 100
3 -that you can see on the right is because it was taken through my car window when I was messing about finding the right settings and happened to be one of the only shots I liked however my lens may also need a clean.
4 was on a Nikon D50 at 200iso, appature 22, cannot remember shutter speed, what do you mean in terms of composition?

Thank you for your feedback
The lack of crispness could be several things - it could be a bit of blur is you weren't using a tripod, it could be a compression for the web issue, it could be aperture related. I suspect this is probably a tripod (or lack of) issue. Remember, when you are using your new tripod if your lens has a anti-shake motor (might be called IS for Image Stabilisation or VR for Vibration Reduction) make sure this is turned OFF when using the tripod.

You mention shooting at f/22 - really try and avoid closing the aperture beyond f/16, closing it up too far causes problems that soften the image. If you want a longer exposure stick to f/11 and use a neutral density (ND) filter instead.

Composition - how the elements of the image are arranged within the frame. For example how the image is balanced, how symmetry is used or avoided, straight lines and curves, lines that lead the eye to specific points in the frame, shapes that suggest meaning, etc. It's a huge topic for a short reply, and it's about 80% of what makes a photograph work (or not).

The lack of crispness could be several things - it could be a bit of blur is you weren't using a tripod, it could be a compression for the web issue, it could be aperture related. I suspect this is probably a tripod (or lack of) issue. Remember, when you are using your new tripod if your lens has a anti-shake motor (might be called IS for Image Stabilisation or VR for Vibration Reduction) make sure this is turned OFF when using the tripod.

You mention shooting at f/22 - really try and avoid closing the aperture beyond f/16, closing it up too far causes problems that soften the image. If you want a longer exposure stick to f/11 and use a neutral density (ND) filter instead.

Composition - how the elements of the image are arranged within the frame. For example how the image is balanced, how symmetry is used or avoided, straight lines and curves, lines that lead the eye to specific points in the frame, shapes that suggest meaning, etc. It's a huge topic for a short reply, and it's about 80% of what makes a photograph work (or not).

Thank you very much! I will take that on board and I will read up on composition!

Here goes - I'm ignoring the motion blur etc.

1) Good potential here - consider coming up a touch with the exposure or perhaps "dodging" some of the rock fall area. They are pretty much in shadow which I think is a shame. It lacks a little "omph" - so I would be tempted to bring some of the colours out in post processing.
2) This is the best image here - good composition and nicely exposed. As above, aim around f11 to f13, f16 tops to keep the images as sharp as possible with plenty of DoF.
3) Good potential - shame about the flare, but I can see what you were trying to do. Agree with the above the lens looks like it might have a gready coating of something as the flare isnt "clean". Hint: If the flare is overpowering when you check the image, but want to retain some of it, a subtle change of angle of the camera can help and / or placing your hand strategically out of view can also help (hard here as your going straight at the sun)
4) Following on from 1) this is what I mean about the rocks. It would be good to see this detail of the rocks in image 1.

Out of interest, did you shoot Raw or JPEG?

Here goes - I'm ignoring the motion blur etc.

1) Good potential here - consider coming up a touch with the exposure or perhaps "dodging" some of the rock fall area. They are pretty much in shadow which I think is a shame. It lacks a little "omph" - so I would be tempted to bring some of the colours out in post processing.
2) This is the best image here - good composition and nicely exposed. As above, aim around f11 to f13, f16 tops to keep the images as sharp as possible with plenty of DoF.
3) Good potential - shame about the flare, but I can see what you were trying to do. Agree with the above the lens looks like it might have a gready coating of something as the flare isnt "clean". Hint: If the flare is overpowering when you check the image, but want to retain some of it, a subtle change of angle of the camera can help and / or placing your hand strategically out of view can also help (hard here as your going straight at the sun)
4) Following on from 1) this is what I mean about the rocks. It would be good to see this detail of the rocks in image 1.

Out of interest, did you shoot Raw or JPEG?

Very informative and simply put thank you for your feedback, it's very appreciated

All shot in JPEG Fine, not really experience with raw yet, that's all new to me

Your welcome.

I'd you can, shoot in raw. Its a bit more forgiving in the sense that you have the 'raw' sensor data, so you have a bit more power in post to pull up shadows, drop highlights etc.

JPEG will give you an instant image which usually has some great spied to it, so usually more useable straight out of camera.

Usually SLRs allow you to store both - then you have the 'raw' to fine tune any that need a tweak. (Assuming you'd rather be travelling then editing for hours!)

Your welcome.

I'd you can, shoot in raw. Its a bit more forgiving in the sense that you have the 'raw' sensor data, so you have a bit more power in post to pull up shadows, drop highlights etc.

JPEG will give you an instant image which usually has some great spied to it, so usually more useable straight out of camera.

Usually SLRs allow you to store both - then you have the 'raw' to fine tune any that need a tweak. (Assuming you'd rather be travelling then editing for hours!)

I read something about raw files not compatable with something, can't remember what, may have been an editing software, that is why I had not ventured to raw until I understood it more
How do you store both is it the JPEG+RAW option I keep seeing?

I read something about raw files not compatable with something, can't remember what, may have been an editing software, that is why I had not ventured to raw until I understood it more

Yes, it is the JPEG + RAW option - the picture will be stored twice on the memory card in your camera, once in each format.

RAW editing isn't difficult, and modern operating systems now usually have the applications needed to at least view RAW files, even if you can't change them. When it comes to editing images, there's lots of software available, some of it free and some of it quite expensive. Most of the camera makers also provide very basic editing software that will allow you to adjust images without great difficulty. When working with RAW files, it is important not to change the original file so that it is possible to go back and make more adjustments later if desired.

Yes.
You should have a program disc with your camera (Which is?) which will enable you to turn the RAW files into either JPG or TIFF files.

If you want to try RAW I would recommend turning them into 16bit TIFF files and then edit them from there as TIFF files are "lossless" and you can edit them several times without degrading them unlike JPEGs which may be degrade with too much editing.

Also be sure to make copies of your files and store the originals safely so that they are always the original (unedited) files.

That way if you make a mistake you always have the original files to go back to.

It's a shame about number one, but if it had been intentional you can actually create artistic pictures by deliberately shaking the camera while you're taking the shot - have a look at this bloke's website: http://andrewsgray.photography - just shows that photography doesn't need to be maximum sharpness and massive depth of field if you don't want it to be.

Number two is a fairly dull scene quite honestly, you might want to try being on a bridge with a view over a roundabout for more exciting trails and scenery, towns and cities will work best for this in the 'blue hour' after sunset - this looks to be taken late in the evening when the blue of the sky isn't so attractive.

Try using the light from a setting sun instead of pointing the camera straight at it, having the sun in the frame usually means problems with your exposure and your pictures will be either too bright or too dark. The light and shadows across a scene is usually the interesting thing about a low sun. This photographer is on this forum and uses light effectively: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stumeech/

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh and helps a little :)

It's a shame about number one, but if it had been intentional you can actually create artistic pictures by deliberately shaking the camera while you're taking the shot - have a look at this bloke's website: http://andrewsgray.photography - just shows that photography doesn't need to be maximum sharpness and massive depth of field if you don't want it to be.

Number two is a fairly dull scene quite honestly, you might want to try being on a bridge with a view over a roundabout for more exciting trails and scenery, towns and cities will work best for this in the 'blue hour' after sunset - this looks to be taken late in the evening when the blue of the sky isn't so attractive.

Try using the light from a setting sun instead of pointing the camera straight at it, having the sun in the frame usually means problems with your exposure and your pictures will be either too bright or too dark. The light and shadows across a scene is usually the interesting thing about a low sun. This photographer is on this forum and uses light effectively: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stumeech/

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh and helps a little :)

Thank you

I am currently trying to find more exciting places for night trails but forever hitting dead ends

Thank you

I am currently trying to find more exciting places for night trails but forever hitting dead ends
If I'm being blunt (nowt new)...

Why?

The best you can do is recreate an image that's been shot a million times. If you really want to improve your photography, stop looking at amateur photographer 'tricks' and study some art.

What do you want to say about the world, what do you see yourself shooting professionally? Shoot what you love, if you get sucked into shooting what all the mediocre photographers shoot, what will you become? The best you can hope for is to be a very good mediocre photographer.

Why?

The best you can do is recreate an image that's been shot a million times. If you really want to improve your photography, stop looking at amateur photographer 'tricks' and study some art.

What do you want to say about the world, what do you see yourself shooting professionally? Shoot what you love, if you get sucked into shooting what all the mediocre photographers shoot, what will you become? The best you can hope for is to be a very good mediocre photographer.

You do really have some wise words.

I love shooting night photography. I Have quite a few places in mind however it gets dark and I chicken out to going alone.
I haven't really found what else I love shooting yet but being an armature I can't see where night photography would take me professionally.
I think I would love to do events/ weddings but as I haven't shot any yet I wouldn't know if I enjoy that.

Also on the topic of cameras I have found a Nikon D5200 on gumtree for my price range and would leave me with a little left over to possibly get a new lens. Does anyone have an opinion on this camera, looks good to me to start off with but does anyone notice anything with specs that I wouldn't as yet?

Why?

I love shooting night photography. I Have quite a few places in mind however it gets dark and I chicken out to going alone.
I haven't really found what else I love shooting yet but being an armature I can't see where night photography would take me professionally.
I think I would love to do events/ weddings but as I haven't shot any yet I wouldn't know if I enjoy that.

Also on the topic of cameras I have found a Nikon D5200 on gumtree for my price range and would leave me with a little left over to possibly get a new lens. Does anyone have an opinion on this camera, looks good to me to start off with but does anyone notice anything with specs that I wouldn't as yet?
He does indeed speak wise words and say it like it is.
Most people on here are very helpful, they have the experience and knowledge. So if you have the desire and an eye for photography, learning the techniques and camera technicalities should be easy. Anyone can push a shutter button but not everyone can take a great photo. Engaging the viewer is what counts.

He does indeed speak wise words and say it like it is.
Most people on here are very helpful, they have the experience and knowledge. So if you have the desire and an eye for photography, learning the techniques and camera technicalities should be easy. Anyone can push a shutter button but not everyone can take a great photo. Engaging the viewer is what counts.

I always welcome constructive criticism and help. I like to think I have a good eye for photography, I have been told many times over the years that I do anyway and always catch myself thinking 'that would make a good picture', to think that I took my first picture off auto mode only. 3 weeks ago and already fully understand aperture, shutter speed, iOS I like to think I a. Picking it up quite quickly

Another good reason to find a local group to venture out with. Safety in numbers so to speak.

Depending on where your venturing, it's usually comments sense.

There are places i wouldn't bat an eyelid to wander around at night and there are places i feel semi conscious of carrying a camera (clearly expensive) in daylight and really probably wouldn't go at night on my Tod.

Day of the week influences some if this decision. I avoid Fridays and Saturday nights as I can't be bothered with the drinkun agro potential in London.

Common sense prevails.

I used one for my first 3 years with the kit lens and took what I consider to be some of my best photos with it, so I certainly wouldn't put you off it.

I always welcome constructive criticism and help. I like to think I have a good eye for photography, I have been told many times over the years that I do anyway and always catch myself thinking 'that would make a good picture', to think that I took my first picture off auto mode only. 3 weeks ago and already fully understand aperture, shutter speed, iOS I like to think I a. Picking it up quite quickly

Once you understand these things it all becomes easier,then it's trial and error!I have done the same as you teaching myself and find the more i go out and shoot the better I progress your always learning even if you have a bad day.

Back