Beginner New to this

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Test 1.jpg Test 2.jpg Test 4.jpg Hello everyone

I have been on the forum for a while but havent been actively taking photos or accessed this website. But things have changed and now i am looking to take this further maybe

Im after some feedback on some shots i took today.

Im still getting my head around the editing side. Using lightroom but am watching a few you tube video's

All feedback is welcome good or bad :)

Thanks

Hi Richard

Welcome (again, I guess) and keep at it. A quick look at those from someone who isn't too far from being a beginner himself and I think you've done pretty well. Focusing is there or thereabouts (hard to see at small res). Exposure in all cases might be a tiny, tiny bit dark for my liking, but that can be personal preference (I quite like slightly overexposed portraits, personally).

Two things I have noticed and are worth commenting on are lighting and white balance. The first one also affects the second, as well, so let's deal with that first. These are indoor shots, so you have to deal with the lighting you have - although you can add more with flash. The key thing with photography is it's pretty much all about the lighting! 1 and 4 are examples where the indoor lighting, although imperfect, does just about work to create natural-looking shots. 4 is perhaps a touch harsh on the cheeks, but 1 is quite a nicely lit shot for indoors (assuming no flash). On 2 you'll see quite big shadows under the eyes and towards the left (as we look) on the subjects - this is because the light is coming quite directionally from the opposite point (above and right). If you'd manage to find a location which provided softer light and which was slightly more omnidirectional, you might have been able to avoid or reduce these shadows. A similar but opposite thing happens with highlights when the light it too bright and harsh from one particular direction.

White balance issues are because the camera doesn't know what colour things *should* be. If you have a yellow bulb lighting the scene, it'll look different from a daylight/bluer bulb. A plain grey card will look non-grey under each lighting scenario. So we have white balance to shift the colour from yellow over to blue and vice-versa. Likewise we have tint for greens and reds. In your pictures, you have a reasonably strong yellow cast for me, which is probably because the hall lights were yellow "bulbs" rather than daylight or whatever.

Sorry that's a bit of a whistlestop tour but I think your photos are great starting points - think about lighting, colour and you can start to see how they affect how an image looks.

Enjoy!

As above they look pretty decent to me, but echo the comments about white balance, the first and third particularly look very yellow. If you shoot RAW you can easily fix WB in lightroom (although you should try to get everything right in camera), if shooting jpeg it's not as easy. Focus seems to be a touch off on the 2nd but hard to tell with images of that size. Also, just be wary of what's in the background and try to get things less distracting if possible (I appreciate in the shots above it probably wasn't) but also check that you're camera is level. On the second shot you can see by the background that the frame is 'wonky'.

Overall though, good effort :)

Thanks for the feedback. Now you say about the white balance your right its my next thing im working on is my processing in Lightroom. Yes i shoot Raw now so i will have to work out how to adjust the white balance.

Looking at the 2nd shot your correct its wonky lol. I think my general camera work is ok but my lightroom needs some improving. Luckily i can have a play and see what happenings

The best videos for Lightroom editing are those from : Antonie Morganty and Serge Rameli .
Find them in you tube ,and you will be surprised how fast you will become master in this.

Back