New tripod time - for studio

Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a lovely SLIK Carbon Fibre tripod which weighs less than a gnats wing and is perfect for hiking and weddings etc.

However, I've just completed my studio and had my first shoot last night and my tripod was struggling for height a little.

For this tripod weight is irrelevant :D

It will be used for portraits and also VERY detailed & close up macro photography (aiming to get the MP-E 65 which is 1-5x mag) so stability and sturdiness are paramount in this tripod.

Additionally, it needs to be able to go over 6ft if possible.

What makes should I be looking at? Previously my main concern has been weight and folded size, but neither of these are an issue for this so I'm a little lost.

There is no real limit for budget, I just want something that does the job and does it well.

:naughty: I will swop you for a manfrotto 055 prob that weighs a tonne! :LOL:

Seriously though, if weight/cost isn't an issue, then any of the top end brands should do the trick, Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc and many will incorporate extra features like removable centre columns and so on, its the old adage of you get what you pay for I feel. TBH I would be quite happy to use my 055 in a studio enviroment, its sturdy as hell and will extend to over 6ft.

I used to have an 055B but sold it when looking for a lighter one. It would be fine in the studio for normal shots but I think it would probably not be quite high enough for some stuff, and also not sturdy enough for the macro stuff (we're talking precision focussing rail and fractions of mm for DoF).

At the moment I'm looking at this one although I'm sure there would be similar ones for less price.

I'd say the Benbo 2 is your best and possibly cheapest option for the sort of tripod you're looking for - built like a tank and capable of getting anywhere. I have an old battered one I wouldn't part with, it will support anything.

Fleabay might be worth a look - that's where I got mine.

:LOL: I have to ask, have you kitted out the studio with ladders? Go on, please, tell this studio novice why you would use such a high tripod? You are right touhg, that is a LOT of pennies, but if its worth its weight in dollars as it were....?

The Benbo 2 will do over 8 feet without using the centre column.

I don't quite need 8 feet! But given the dimensions of the studio I know I'll need to shoot down sometimes to avoid the ceiling and also for group family stuff shooting down sometimes works and I don't want to be limited by my tripod.

I'm also a firm believer in the saying "Buy cheap, buy twice" and I'd prefer to get it right first time.

I'll check out the Benbo 2 CT, it's not one I was considering so far :)

Well you say you don't need 8 feet, and you probably wont that often, but take a 6 foot bloke photographing the moon. He sets his tripod to max height, then tilts his long lens up at the moon which drops the camera height by over a foot. He's now stooping with bent knees and trying to manually focus on the moon while dithering like a jelly. With the Benbo at max height you can stand comfortably looking up into viewfinder. Great for birds in flight etc too.

I think it weighs about 9lbs mind you. :D

I have the manfrotto art075 - I brought from ebay with three way head for around £80 - strong solid, tall (at least 7 foot) and heavy, i cant see me ever upgrading for studio use...

Back