New Tripod

P-E said:
Is that a built in spirit level in the corner? if so doesn't the camera body cover it up when fitted?

Yes it's a spirit level. Whether you mount the camera directly on the head or using a lens mount you can always orientate the head so that you can see the spirit level. :)

I'm just trying to get a couple of spare plates for this head from Warehouse Express. They're listed there but there's no 'Basket' icon so it may be out of stock. I'm just trying to get 'em on the blower, so if spare plates is an issue for you, I'd hang on till I have the SP.

CT said:
Yes it's a spirit level. Whether you mount the camera directly on the head or using a lens mount you can always orientate the head so that you can see the spirit level. :)

I'm just trying to get a couple of spare plates for this head from Warehouse Express. They're listed there but there's no 'Basket' icon so it may be out of stock. I'm just trying to get 'em on the blower, so if spare plates is an issue for you, I'd hang on till I have the SP.

Thanks for the info...........you spending again!

LOL. Well it makes sense to keep a plate attached permanently to lenses with a tripod mount and one for attaching directly to the body. Saves a lot of messing about.

Spare plates are in stock - no probs! :thumb:

CT sorry to drag this thread back up but just wondered how things are going with the tripod and head?

I am still scratching my head as to which tripod to purchase:thinking:

No probs! :D

There's no such thing as the perfect tripod for all eventualities, but this one is pretty close. It's a joy to use being amazingly adaptable, and it's very light compared to anything I've used before. As ball heads go the one I got is light and pretty positive in use. I don't regret either purchase and would buy both again if I had the same choice to make. The only thing I'd say is don't buy the tripod bag - 50 quid and it's never used apart from storage. It's easier to carry around just folded up and out of it's bag. A sling might be a better idea.

I find this tripod just the right combination of lightness and rigidity to not worry about it wavering about.

Appreciate the update.

I have so many pieces of paper on my desk with different model no's weights lengths etc:shrug:

I keep looking at the Basalt range G1298, with a max load of 5.5kg and weighs in at 1.52kg.....seems a nice balance.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them to be honest - build quality is superb. :)

CT said:
I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them to be honest - build quality is superb. :)

Might give Warehouse Express a call later in the week and see what they have in stock;)

Steady now... you don't want to go rushing into anything. ;):D

CT said:
Steady now... you don't want to go rushing into anything. ;):D

LOL.

O/T......do you use the 17-40L on your 1DMKII body CT?.........if so how do you find it.

I love it. The gain in field of view with the 1.3X sensor shouldn't be under-estimated it's very significant - and with the 50mm too. The 17-40 is a cracking lens which I haven't really used as much as I'd like yet. It produces superb colour rendition, and it's virtually silent in AF operation. It focus down very close as well to moderate 'macro' distances so it's a very handy lens.

It's also weather proof which not all L lenses are - damned if I know why not for the sort of money they cost? :thinking:

I have heard differing comments about the 17-40 on a 1DMKII body.

At the moment my fav lens is the 24-70L but sometimes I would just like to go that bit wider.

Anyway I will get a tripod sorted first then ponder over a new lens later;)

Thanks for your thoughts CT(y)

when I can afford it, I'm planning on getting a Dynatran on ebay - probably an aluminium one, I could get one for £50 (hopefully). I've seen some pretty good reviews, including one from a fellow brit (you get import duty though :()

Leo

Just called Warehouse Express.......

No stock of the G1298 or G1178M head.

They have the G1198 but thats only a max weight of 4KG so not sure if this will be sturdy enough:thinking:

New Tripod just turned up......

Gitzo G1297 & 1278M Ball Head.

Seems a nice piece of kit.:)

:clap: :D

Well done - I don't think you can really go wrong.

Back