New TV - LED/LCD - 3D or not?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
With the advent of the new age, decided to splash out on a new fangled TV - a good size, 40" (at least I thought a good size) and nice and flat. Went to Comet and Currys and left shortly after.

I have no idea if I want LED or LCD and just to make it worse, not sure if I want 3D or not. I don't understand why Samsung (alone) need so many different models that seem pretty much exactly the same as the next. I am so inadequate!

I guess I'll have to make my own mind up, but has anyone else entered this minefield recently? Whilst Google is my friend the marketing does not make for an easy decision. I asked if we could put two TVs together so that they could show me why one was almost £500 more than the other - but no.

Play/Amazon don't seem too have any BluRay 3D disks that I need to watch so that makes that bit easier at least.

Chris

I had the same problem few years ago when I upgraded my tv. I am afraid it's even more difficult to make a decision these days with the amount of different options.

AVforums was very helpful learning about different models (y)

If I were to upgrade now, I don't think I would bother with 3D... it's still a very new format and there isn't much content for it - and a bit of hassle with the glasses

I did this last christmas and ended up with a Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma full 1080p.

By far the best picture although LED was still in short supply then.

As for 3d I have to ask why, how much TV is transmitted in 3d, or is it generated from a 2d picture.

The reason I went Plasma is purely time lag on LCD which is still noticable on fast sports.

People say about the time lag, but my Sony Bravia LCD is 4 years old and I dont notice any issues and I watch a lot of football.

LEDs look great, both picture and TV size (or lack of). 3d I am unsure about. Will much be filmed in that, and will people want to wear the glasses? I would say that only now, some 5 years (I guess) after HD came out, are we getting the value... C4, ITV and all the Sky Movie Channels. I cant see 3d really taking off for a while and prices will come down in that time.

LED is an advancement of LCD - so you get higher contrast in a nutshell...

really you need to be telling us what you want to use your TV for...? As that will affect what choice of TV you should go for.

Gaming?

Movies?

Broadcast?

PC Monitor?

Gaming is dictated to some degree by lag i.e. the difference between displaying the picture from the instructions given by the console - LCD-LED is preferred due to 'burn in' on plasmas (yes it still happens even on the new ones)

Movies are geared more towards contrast, efficient 3:2 pull down algorithm, 100+ mhz interpolation

Standard broadcasts (inc HD) are probably the easiest out of the things for a tv to accomplish to a decent level but based on your preference for the above should narrow down the search for a decent jobbie.

the tv will still be lcd , its just the backlighting which is led :)

I really can't imagine myself ever sitting down watching an evenings TV with 3D glasses on.

I had the same problem few years ago when I upgraded my tv. I am afraid it's even more difficult to make a decision these days with the amount of different options.

AVforums was very helpful learning about different models (y)

If I were to upgrade now, I don't think I would bother with 3D... it's still a very new format and there isn't much content for it - and a bit of hassle with the glasses

ha ha you dont use 3D glasses the picture is alreay 3D and does not come out of the screen go to comet and you will see what i mean they have them on display

ha ha you dont use 3D glasses the picture is alreay 3D and does not come out of the screen go to comet and you will see what i mean they have them on display

You need to wear the glasses to view in 3D :thinking:

Yes, go to Comet or Currys and they are on display with the glasses.

What I don't understand is that Channel 4 was showing a load of 3D movies not so long ago and you could get free cheap glasses from one of the newspapers. Now, no special TV's were required then. So, I am pretty sure this whole 3D thing is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend £2,500 on a TV instead of £600.

I enter back into the arena today and shortly after left. Think I'll have a look around on line just to avoid the instore experts that appear to know less than I do - I left a couple of idiots arguing over LED/LCD in Comets. We can survive for a few more months!

What a strange comment?

One did go to Comet and admired the "stylish" specs one needs to wear!

There are a number of screens that display in 3d without the need for glasses due for release but the field of view is narrow (as it was yesteryear when LCD first hit the scene). To be honest gaming is the only sector that might push the 3d tv take up - if you're not interested in blowing up some America 13 year old kids character on xbox live then you'd be better off choosing a decent 2d tv

What I don't understand is that Channel 4 was showing a load of 3D movies not so long ago and you could get free cheap glasses from one of the newspapers. Now, no special TV's were required then. So, I am pretty sure this whole 3D thing is just a marketing ploy to get you to spend £2,500 on a TV instead of £600.

the one's near us were not and they were 3d you could see a massive diffrence between the 2d and 3d

Tony Blackburn rates his 3D TV very much with skys 3D service.

read my post again and read the quote above the person is on about wearing glasses and how much of a pain it would be to wear them for 3D

the one's near us were not and they were 3d you could see a massive diffrence between the 2d and 3d

3D TV's need glasses if you want to view in 3D

If you view a 3D image without glasses it will look " different"

basic info

3D is a gimmick and will be short lived, don't waste your money on it. LED would be worth buying if the price has come down far enough, otherwise go for a decent full HD lcd or a plasma set, bearing in mind that in 5 years or so you'll be wanting to buy another set anyway.

42" Panasonic plasma for TV / DVD / Blu ray. Mine works well as a 1920x1080 monitor as well for the media PC.

No idea if you are into gaming, since I'm not.

Thought that i'd update this thread with the final solution. I ended up buying a Samsung UE40C8000 LED 3D 40" tv, replacement Samsung 3D BluRay player and a Samsung sound bar.

I Currys/Comets you get to see a demo and it looks good. I decided early on that I was not interested in 'upscaling' normal tv to 3d but may enjoy films in 3d. 3d films are pretty rare right now but they seem to be on pre order and should really start coming up over the next month or two.

I have Monsters v Aliens in 3d and I am absolutely blown away with the quality and sense of perspective. Even Sharon sat silent. 'upscaling' works but was right, I do not want to watch tv in 3d glasses.

Not sure it was really worth the difference between LCD and LED but pleased with 3d.

Anyone else taken the leap yet?

I have a 42" plasma and. The picture is great!
Do bare in mind though. It's not just the tv that makes for a good.viewing experience . to get the most you need blue ray or another Jr source . Also if you have loads of dvds the picture on a full hd tv will be fairly pixulated. Unless played through an upscaler . I chose a 720p to get the best of both worlds and a ps3 to do everything else and a av receiver to sort the sound out and I'm really pleased with my set up.

Different types of 3D different technology, I have several 3D BluRay films that come with glasses to watch on a standard TV but it's not as good as the 3D you see in the cinema at the moment and the 3D which the TV's will display.

The programs channel 4 played were recorded in 3D (old 3D) and some converted into the same 3D technology, again the old technology which is pretty poor and a lot of people can not see that type of 3D due to coloured lenses required to watch it.

Back