new v to look old video

I must admit I always struggle with things like this. Yes, you can apply a patina to a video that makes it look old, but the sharpness and detail of digital is still there. It never looks quite right to me. I just don't think you can replicate film in a digital medium.

I must admit I always struggle with things like this. Yes, you can apply a patina to a video that makes it look old, but the sharpness and detail of digital is still there. It never looks quite right to me. I just don't think you can replicate film in a digital medium.

Film of a vintage to be flickery and hand-cranked as the effect suggests would be shot with the camera on a static tripod, not hand held and moving about.

It was only in the 1920s that tecnhnology to mechanically crank the film had advanced far enough to make it practical to shoot hand held, but the film stocks had got better. Even then, though, mechanical cranks were quite noisy. However, that didn't matter as movies still didn't have sound, for which removing the soundtrack also neatly solves the OP's technical problem :)

Last edited:

I think the main difference is in old films the black was black, a digital conversion just makes everything shades of grey as in the film above, nothing is black and some of it should be.

I think the main difference is in old films the black was black, a digital conversion just makes everything shades of grey as in the film above, nothing is black and some of it should be.

Yes, I think that's right. What we've got are gradations of grey representing the original colours.

But why? It doesn't work at all. And the flickering is liable to induce fits. Embrace digital.

Neville
these are already in digital format. Just converted copies to see what they would look like oin old time movies.
Here is the original

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcx3VFsG2Xc

if you go to my youtube channel you will see ones I made for myself and for others to watch if interested.

Last edited:
Back