New Vs Used

Name
Pat MacInnes
Edit My Images
Yes
Want a 70/80 – 200mm f/2.8 for my D200 but am unsure of whether to buy a used (but mint condition) Nikon or Sigma model for about £350 or shell out £600 – £650 for a brand new one. Bear in mind, I’ve just spent nigh on 12K on a new car, already owe £1200 for my D200 (and bits) so the used option is looking the better one, plus it means I have less to pay out in total when I buy a 10.5mm fisheye.

Have looked at Camtech, Ace, Mifsuds for used kit but does anyone know of any other good used lens shops that are reliable?

Advice please…

Byker28i, that was one i forgot to say I'd checked out. Cheers though matey. They have one lens but it's a bit scruffy.

Just as a point, on the Nikon 80-200mm what are people's opinions on the 'one-touch' ED and the later AF model/s?

Jessops had this lens BN for 450 before the weekend...not sure if it still it...

*edit* here *edit*

My personal advice though would be to sort out all your debts before you go buying new or old stuff..

Another place to check out is

www.ffordes.co.uk

They usually have pictures of the stuff on sale and are really nice people to deal with

superstat, that's a right bargain!! Was looking on Jessops around Xmas when I got my D200 and that lens was £529 and then it went back up to £7800. Will order that through my work tomorrow and get the company discount :)

Right, now for a 10.5mm.... :)

£529 and then it went back up to £7800

:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

£780?

Doh!!!!! £700.....

Jessops seemingly has a 10% discount on all lenses (apart from three Canon ones) when you type in LENS10 at the checkout (or it applies it automatically when you log on through here

be aware you have to collect in store.....

for that discount I'm happy to travel the 14 or so miles to the local store (in Cov). Shame they don't have them in the Rugby branch thoigh, as that's only five mins walk from my house...

Byker28i, that was one i forgot to say I'd checked out. Cheers though matey. They have one lens but it's a bit scruffy.

Just as a point, on the Nikon 80-200mm what are people's opinions on the 'one-touch' ED and the later AF model/s?

The one touch slide zoom ? is a great lens, its sharp and beau at all lengths, fab at f/2.8, which is about the only f/stop I ever used it at, built like a tank, and you can zoom and focus with one hand manually.
The af is slow, it shoots a mean portrait, but the afd ed & af-s models are much better for moderate to fast moving objects.
I've seen a few with dust in them, something to do with the mechanics of push pull...suck in blow out...zoom style, never saw dust in the images though, its an f/2.8er, so not really an issue.

joxby, cheers for that. Seen a few but wasn't sure about the autofocussing speed.
Think I'm gonna go for a new HSM Sigma one from Jessops though seeing as they're £400 with the 10% discount.

There's always HK for another 100 quid......:LOL:

How I look at it is, if I'm gonna spend £400, its gonna be on or put towards a Nikon lens.
If I want cheap, its gonna be 2nd hand anymake.

I don't think I could be within £100 of Nikon glass, and then go buy Sigma, not to do down Sigma, its worth every penny and a complete bargain at £400.

*chucks in spanner*

*runs off*

I do see your point but £100 is £100 and when you haven't got that extra £100 it's a big difference. Plus, I need to lens quick (for a photoshoot I have on Friday) and I'm hoping that my work will chip in half seeing as I'm now using my own gear and not the shonky Canon gear we have had since the dark ages...

...Plus, everything I read says the Sigma is as good an alternative optically as the Nikon...

...And yes, that was a bloody big spanner... :)

£100 is £100 and when you haven't got that extra £100 it's a big difference. Plus, I need to lens quick (for a photoshoot I have on Friday)

Sigma's yerr man then.....
You don't read any disappointments with that lens (y)

Need to get in 'brown nose' mode for my boss tomorrow just in case he offers to pay...

... or I could just whack it on the company credit card and suffer his less than severe wrath!! :)

I would recommend buying a used Sigma 70-200 2.8 preferably the macro version, i had the previous model and got many fantastic shots with it, the macro version focuses as close as a meter which is about as close as you can go with any lens in this focal range.

I have seen quite a few available on ebay almost new, i think some people have a problem with the size of it some reason but its still smaller than the fast nikons in the same range you should be able to pick up a mint Sigma for 300 quid or less.

It's the f/2.8 HSM EX DG Macro version that Jessops is doing cheap. Think it's now been replaced by a Mk2 version...

Specialman you can also use quidco to get an extra 3% back ;)

Sigma f/2.8 70-200 HSM EX DG Macro ordered and will be nestling in my rucksack tomorrow morning*–*nice!! :)

Back