TPer Emeritus
Name
Matthew Egan
Edit My Images
No
I've just finished off my new webbie.

I've based the site around zenphoto gallery, a free downloadable gallery
which can be downloaded from here.

I've used xhtml and css to style the rest of the page, which was quite easy to pick up, with a bit of help from css zengarden

I've formatted it to fit 1000 pixels width, as i believe most people run at least 1024x768 resolution now.

Upto now I only have two albums live, Red Squirrels and Children.
I will now put some time into getting my images processed and uploaded.

When finished I will have live links to my Alamy image library, and Photobox.
so hopefully it will fund some new equipment, or pay for travelling to new destinations.

Please take a look and report back any problems, it will be appreciated.
Site: mattheweganphotography.com

TFL

Hey Matt ... that is a good looking Gallery you've produced there ... well impressed ! :clap:

If I may make a couple of immediate observations as a user ... :p

1. The text boxes on the left of your intro and gallery pages ... sort of gets mixed up in the overall text of the intro page ... would it help if it was a different colour font or if the text was in a coloured box/panel ... imo of course.

2. Some of the 'people' thumbs have their heads chopped off and this doesn't look so good ... again imo !

3. Might just be me but the last picture in your 'domestication' gallery takes a lot longer to load than the full previous page ... and gallery title is a tad misleading ... ?

These are just my initial thoughts as a user Matt ... hope you don't mind me commenting ... but you did ask ... sort of ... :thinking:

Have bookmarked to keep an eye on population progress ... ;)

very nice matt, the rolling slideshow still dont work well in IE, but at least you resisted the urge to use the rubbish zen one!

I like it, i like Zenphoto, the thumbs cut the images like that Rog, but it seems to work.

Nicely presented gallery.

I'm on 4meg BB with ntl and the images load slower than I would expect. It is a tad annoying the way the page loads with the forms in middle screen and then re-formats as the picture appears with every click on 'next'.

matty said:
the thumbs cut the images like that Rog, but it seems to work.

Ah ... that explains it ... you can't select the crop for the thumbs yourself then ... :shrug:

dont think so no. Im using the same software on my site, the beauty of it is you can build it in to your html and change it around so it looks unique.

The site looks great, as for the 1000 width here is some info from my site's users. It looks like you are probably not alienating too many potential users...

565 51.93% 1024x768
273 25.09% 1280x1024
199 18.29% Unknown
24 2.21% 800x600
20 1.84% 1152x864
7 0.64% 1600x1200

When you click on an image it links to a fullsized image, any chance that could open in a popup? Also, the fullsized are exactly the same size as the preview so maybe disable it in this case?

I know that's probably more work that its worth but just my 2p.

:)

Thanks everyone, all comments are valued and taken on board .

I'll look at ways to fix them. :) (y)

Venomator said:
Hey Matt ... that is a good looking Gallery you've produced there ... well impressed ! :clap:

If I may make a couple of immediate observations as a user ... :p

1. The text boxes on the left of your intro and gallery pages ... sort of gets mixed up in the overall text of the intro page ... would it help if it was a different colour font or if the text was in a coloured box/panel ... imo of course.

I know what you mean, so I've implemented all of the above :D

Venomator said:
2. Some of the 'people' thumbs have their heads chopped off and this doesn't look so good ... again imo !

Changed the crop from 85% to 100%, I think it crops to the narrowest side.

Venomator said:
3. Might just be me but the last picture in your 'domestication' gallery takes a lot longer to load than the full previous page ... and gallery title is a tad misleading ... ?

I've cleared the image cache on the server, and changed the Title.

RobertP said:
Nicely presented gallery.

I'm on 4meg BB with ntl and the images load slower than I would expect.

The speed may be down to my hosting Robert, I'm in the process of looking for a new home for my website.

RobertP said:
It is a tad annoying the way the page loads with the forms in middle screen and then re-formats as the picture appears with every click on 'next'.

Ah, I see what you mean.
I've fixed it for Firefox, so the landscape format text field shouldn't jump, when a portarait format image is shown the text fields move as the image appears.

matty said:
I like it, i like Zenphoto, the thumbs cut the images like that Rog, but it seems to work.

You can change the settings in the zen config matty.
you can have them show in full format thumb (rectangle).

SammyC said:
When you click on an image it links to a fullsized image, any chance that could open in a popup? Also, the fullsized are exactly the same size as the preview so maybe disable it in this case?

I know that's probably more work that its worth but just my 2p.

Disabled (y)

Thanks everyone for your input, its really is appreciated. (y)(y)

That's loads better Matt ... a vast improvement ... and so easily done (y)

Zenphoto is that easy to use and adjust then ... ?

it is quite easy if you know what to look for.

I wrote my pages then put the relavent zenphoto php into my page.

The changes made above have all been done in the css

Doesn't jump about anymore :)

Still slowish loading the pictures though. I have a download speed monitor program always running - on the graph your site does not go above 500k and mostly loads at around 100k. Not slow enough to put me off though if I were a casual visitor.

Back