New Website

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Just had my site redesigned and I'd like some feedback especially regarding image quality as I'm worried it looks a little poor. It is about to undergo another development phase so I am looking for some input as to how else I can improve it.

The site is http://www.slcphotography.co.uk

Thanks in advance (y)

Some constructive criticism.....

Proof read your copy for spelling, but also for grammar. At the moment there seem to some very long sentences that would scan better if broken up a bit.

The images are good but the layout seems very "blocky" and not especially nice to look at. A few tweeks here and there and it could look much better I reckon.

Good luck with it though. (y):D

Its too wide... thers a lot of blank space which isnt a problem... but proves you dont need to be wider than my browser window

The graduated borders remind me of windows 95/98 which honestly looks dated.

I like the title how it connects with the menu bar though, its simple but effective.

It has the beginning of a good site!
few points though

Its hard to tell what you do... you mention you can do a phtoshoot no job to big or small (to that effect). I have it in bold on your landing page what you do, where you are based etc....

Any reason you state you are a digital photographer, although.... sounds like you are making excuses for being a digital photographer, why?

Agreed with the blocky design, not very current and a lot of space that could be utalised as well.

Some constructive criticism.....

Proof read your copy for spelling, but also for grammar. At the moment there seem to some very long sentences that would scan better if broken up a bit.

The images are good but the layout seems very "blocky" and not especially nice to look at. A few tweeks here and there and it could look much better I reckon.

Good luck with it though. (y):D

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with the point about images so I'll look at changing that

Its too wide... thers a lot of blank space which isnt a problem... but proves you dont need to be wider than my browser window

Fair enough, I have thought that aswell but not sure how to fill the space, any suggestions?

Thanks!

The graduated borders remind me of windows 95/98 which honestly looks dated.

I like the title how it connects with the menu bar though, its simple but effective.

The borders were a mistake when processing in lightroom so I'll definitely take them off!

It has the beginning of a good site!
few points though

Its hard to tell what you do... you mention you can do a phtoshoot no job to big or small (to that effect). I have it in bold on your landing page what you do, where you are based etc....

Any reason you state you are a digital photographer, although.... sounds like you are making excuses for being a digital photographer, why?

Agreed with the blocky design, not very current and a lot of space that could be utalised as well.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely work these points into the site

First where in the world are you?
Don’t like the background colour also on my 20in wide screen text is small
Law requires your details like address email address (forms not compile) and phone number.
I think some of the photos would be better not on there sorry to say but the dogs look like a photo anyone might have taken in the back garden and only one landscape?
Photos need to be top notch to sell yourself.

First where in the world are you?
Don’t like the background colour also on my 20in wide screen text is small
Law requires your details like address email address (forms not compile) and phone number.
I think some of the photos would be better not on there sorry to say but the dogs look like a photo anyone might have taken in the back garden and only one landscape?
Photos need to be top notch to sell yourself.

Fair comment, I am only just starting out and it's probably obvious my preference is motorsport but I wanted to have a gallery for all. As I get better pictures I will definitely replace the worse ones! Still haven't quite decided how to market myself as I'm not 100% convinced I want to go down the self employed route so I'm trying to decide how to set the website and what I talk about!

Thank you for your feedback :)

I would always recommend looking at some of the jquery scripting and lightbox plugins for your gallery pages. They make things look very professional and add something to the site for no cost.

On the whole I would say its functional, but basic in its appearance. You should look at wordpress or similar CMS systems that are free that can be skinned easily and will give your site/business the wow factor you are after.

I personally hate watermarks on pics. As they are slap bang in the middle, I can't be bothered to look at them. I also feel they are very 'grey'. You probably need to work on them to get a bit more detail into the shadows and sharpen a bit.

The layout is very basic and looks a bit home made. Probably just about acceptable for a personal blog, but not for a professional business site.

Sorry for being a bit harsh, but it's just an opinion.

Graham

It's not compatible with IE6 - unfortunately like it or not that is still your main user base.

Firefox, looks ok but the Privacy Policy and Car above are not aligned (home page).

Like the logo/font. :)

I agree with Dimension - check out jquery script. I'd never used it before but it's actually very easy. I implemented it on a site I did for my mate and was a big improvement on the static hlink version. http://www.nickboazracing.co.uk/gallery.html

If you need any advise let me know.

Rich

Back