New year. New start....

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I have decided that in order to help you guys will any c+c with any of my portraits this year I will try and give you some background info.. What I was after. How I thought it went...:shrug:

So here we go. I am trying to get away from the white b/g studio work I have been doing for a while now." I will still do these as its what most parents want"

But I have been trying out some flooring as I may put it into the studio.. This shot was taken in my hall " very small space " I tried to frame the shot so that all walls and doors / junk was out of the shot.

I do have some with him looking at the camera but I liked this one.

C+C Most welcome..

Charlie_floor.jpg

Kind regards.

" I personally feel if everyone did this members would find it easier to give good feedback......:shrug:"

MD:wave:

Last edited:
good lighting fading out to a non tell tale background
either a clone to that floor fault or a slight bottom crop to the hands for me
the looking away is always more insight to a childs character and avoids the colgate smile...its the eyes which are really compelling here
cheers
geof

I really like the flooring, far more modern than the white backgrounds imho. Good lighting and a nice depth of field, not too shallow but nice separation. My only criticism would be that I'd prefer more space on the right of the shot, so he's looking more into the photo instead of out. I think eye contact would also work well in this pose, but I like the little cheeky look he's giving. If possible I'd try to get the "cracks" of the floorboards in less prominent positions, the change of colour on the lower left hand side is a bit distracting.

All quite minor things! Overall, I like it :)

I agree with you. I hate White backgrounds but market forces push me into using one.

Ditto which is a shame, however my grey BG arrived today for me to play with :)

Anyway, i love this shot, love how the light falls off just perfectly, the only thing that stands out to me is the floorboard join to the bottom left of the image.

I like the shot, lighting is good, though I think it could do with a touch more on his hair to give better separation.

Nit picking (knot-picking??) I know, but I think I would lose the big knot at the bottom and clone the imperfection in the flooring just below his hands.

But I still like it a lot.

Nice shot. It's good to see a change from the usual studio style shot. I like the light fallout but wonder if a backlight might improve it even further? Just something is looking a little dark but can't put my finger on it...

Good lord man, before we know it, you will be out in the garden and calling yourself a 'lifestyle' photographer :LOL: :p ;)

Seriously, I like it. Got to admit the bright coloured backgrounds are not my thing, but this more natural 'background' is very much my thing. As already mentioned, would have gone for him slightly off centre to left as we lookt, but I also know how limited the space is there so aware in this instance, probably not possble. Overall, great effort and loving the new direction. :clap:

Thanks for the feedback guys.;)

I think I will buy some flooring for the studio so I will have some more room..:D

At least in the studio I will have room for a hair light ... Good call Cris;)

Liam was also about lol
1_of_1_-22.jpg

MD(y)

You always nail the lighting Dave and these are no exception. Loving them as usual

You always nail the lighting Dave and these are no exception. Loving them as usual

(y) Thank you very much for your kind words,

Regards MD:wave:

Thanks for the feedback guys.;)

I think I will buy some flooring for the studio so I will have some more room..:D

At least in the studio I will have room for a hair light ... Good call Cris;)

Liam was also about lol
1_of_1_-22.jpg

MD(y)

red sock...:shake:

Burn the orage, pink and purple backgrounds ;-)

Lovely shot. Looks natural! Nice work ..MD..

Only weeeeeeeeeeeny C&C. The joint in the flooring is a weeeeeeeeeeny bit too visible.

these are really nice, and pin sharp! very impressive!

whats more impressive is the fact that you can gey your kids to stay in front of the camera, i cannot get my 2yo to post, and then when i do take a shot, he insist's on seeing it... lol

red sock...:shake:

Thanks Geoff I was just using these as examles When doing them properly I have there feet sock free..

Burn the orage, pink and purple backgrounds ;-)

Lovely shot. Looks natural! Nice work ..MD..

Only weeeeeeeeeeeny C&C. The joint in the flooring is a weeeeeeeeeeny bit too visible.

Cheers Dav;) I will still use the other colour's Variety is the spice f life and all that...:D

Dave(y)

these are really nice, and pin sharp! very impressive!

whats more impressive is the fact that you can gey your kids to stay in front of the camera, i cannot get my 2yo to post, and then when i do take a shot, he insist's on seeing it... lol

Sorry Alan . Missed replying to you. I am lucky with the kids posing trust me its hard work most the time.;)

Regards MD(y)

Back