Non UK New York locations away from Manhattan.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Just booked our accommodation for our two week stay in New York in August and I am starting to put together a nice varied itinerary so we get to see (and photograph of course) lots of nice places and whilst we will be spending quite a lot of time in Manhattan doing the main places (ESB, Statue of Liberty, Central Park etc) we are staying in Brooklyn so intend to travel about a bit and see other areas within something like a good hours travel time.

I'm thinking perhaps Long Island and definitely Coney Island for starters but open to more suggestions.

Going to be a family holiday so I can't be putting photography first al the time but with a little forward planning on my part who knows where we might end up as the sun is setting lol.

We went for new year

red rooster - 310 Malcolm X Blvd - best soul food ever.
164803848.jpg

The roads opposite Maddison Square Gardens is full of Korean restaurants - amazing, plates of meat brough to your table and cooked on burners on the table. Great theatre and cheap food.
As well as trying to walk the bridges, you can walk along the river front, FDR drive for a great view of the bridges. Take a wide angle
St patricks cathedral up on 51st street - 10 min walk from grand central, worth a visit. Then walk across to third ave for food, some of the irish bars there have great food, one has an oyster and fresh fish bar.
Grand Central market
Obviously Trump Tower on 5th, just to chat to the protestors outside.
Ignore bloomingdales, or any of the other big department stores. Waste of time.

Most importantly
Just around from Ground Zero, walk past the museum, past the firefighter relief and go into the irish bar, O'Haras, 137 Greenwich street. Ask to see the book. You can guess what's in it as its the bar the firefighters drank at. Amazing record
164803825.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/byker28i/new_york&page=all

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I was there last August and managed to get my photography early morning whilst my wife was still in bed! We also stayed in Brooklyn (DUMBO) which helped get to locations in good time. The two stand out locations that I wanted before hand were Washington St and Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Many thanks for the info and great pictures. I think a few early mornings will be called for and at least being in Brooklyn will give me chance to get some decent Manhattan skyline shots. Yes to bridges too in particular the Brooklyn Bridge. Very iconic New York location.

Just been reading about DUMBO. Very interesting and will make sure we visit.

Definitely going to take in a baseball game. Did a night game in Chicago years ago but would like to do a summers day game.

Try Roosevelt Island as another view to look back across to Manhattan and if you buy subway cards you can use the aerial tram as a trip for the family, Coney Island is good and Brighton Beach if you want some street shots, but the family may not be so happy as its a long walk on the boardwalk to Coney Island and often you can get vouchers on the Nathans hot dogs site
Highline is a good walk and lots of photo opportunities
If you like Italian and want good value try Toni's de Napol on 43rd just off times sq, great atmosphere but reserve a table on open table so you don't end up waiting
The is also the markets on a weekend and Staten Island using the free ferry gives some great shots of lower Manhattan, the is so much to do if you stray off the tourist trails we have been loads and never get bored and lost count of the number of photos I have you will have a great time just a shame about the exchange rate rate

I was over there not so long ago.
Gantry Plaza State Park on Long Island is great sunset or sunrise for views of ESB/chrysler, and further WT1 too. Lots of good spots all along the boardwalk there and a nice place for a good walk. I didn't find it unsafe even at early morn or late night.
Roosevelt island is also very chill. Nice place to go across via the cable car. I wasn't as big a fan of the view but a nice place to relax, and quieter than other areas for sure.
Shots from the parks around Weehawken (New Jersey) are great for panos of the skyline itself. Same for Newport and around Hoboken. fantastic views from the NJ side. Well worth it. You haven't seen NYC until you've seen it from New Jersey. Can walk all along from Newport up through Hoboken towards weehawken way. Bit of a trek but lots of places to stop along the way!
Down by Brooklyn bridge park is also great too, you'll see a lot of photographers around there, some cool spots.

World trade one as sun is just setting. First of a sequence. #worldtradeone #nyc #newyork #newyorkcity #sunset #wtc #nikon #d810a #sunsetphotography #downtownny #goldenhour #awesome by K2spb, on Flickr
NYC skyline view. #wtc #wtone #longisland #gantryplaza #longexposure #nightshots #nyc #sunset #worldtradecenter #nikon #nightphotography #d810a by K2spb, on Flickr

Definitely DUMBO and would suggest Brooklyn Bridge Park for a great view back over to Manhattan as they are quite close together.

Subway down to Coney Island also

can't recommend the subway highly enough, really cheap and very efficient way to travel once you get your head around the system. I don't actually think you can go too far wrong in that city with a camera myself no matter where you go. Our wedding photographer recommended the Brooklyn Heights for great views across to Manhattan but we did that side of the river on our first night and were shattered so stuck to the Brooklyn Park area only. Also worth a look is the central library and the cathedrals, stunning buildings, the main part of the library was closed when we went due to renovation but that may now be complete and if it is then i am jealous if you get to see it.

Outside the city i wanted to visit the brooklyn machine works shop (probably no interest to you as its a mountain biker thing really) and the orange county chopper hq which is about an hour or so out of town i think. Didn't get to do either as we were only there for 3 nights so time was against us. When we go back however i may scratch those itches...

Quick edit, the 911 museum is one hell of a sobering experience too, not really a camera thing but well worth a visit. I expected it to be stereotypical american in terms of being over the top or very anti islam in sentiment but it was neither, it was actually quite introspective and definitely moving.

Last edited:
Coney Island! Not sure what the family situation is but it's great for kids as well, nice aquarium.

Coney Island Piste by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Plenty of slightly less touristy things to do in Manhattan as well though.

The High Line is an obvious one, nice and quiet in the morning, and finding all the 'Life Underground' bronze statues in in the subway station at 14th Street and 8th Ave is fun too (even for adults!)...

NYC 2013: Life Underground by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Thanks for all the info and going to visit pretty much all of it.

Getting closer now so planning to do things in "areas" and keep the travelling about to a minimum and just really enjoy one place at a time.

Fortunately with two weeks we should be able to avoid the rushing about all over I did ten years ago when we wanted to cram all the major hot spots in to four days. It was amazing but shattering and probably missed plenty too.

It is very easy to rack up a large amount of miles walking around new york so if you can do it in areas you will save your feet. Our issue was that our hotel was on the border of the financial district and china town so to get to the times square area etc was about half an hour on the tube and likewise for a few other places we went to, next time i think we will base ourselves nearer to times square just to make it easy to pop back to the hotel during the day if we need to (carry less gear that way too)

It is very easy to rack up a large amount of miles walking around new york so if you can do it in areas you will save your feet. Our issue was that our hotel was on the border of the financial district and china town so to get to the times square area etc was about half an hour on the tube and likewise for a few other places we went to, next time i think we will base ourselves nearer to times square just to make it easy to pop back to the hotel during the day if we need to (carry less gear that way too)

We did 20 miles in 1 day!!! Should have used the subway more than we did or uber!

Head to Chelsea Market - Los Tacos is one of the top 10 places to eat in NY!

Having a few hours planning, reading, checking flickr and websites etc as its getting very close and to be honest I am buzzing and really excited about this holiday

Just purchased a Gorillapod slr zoom and going to get another ND ( 4 stop ) to go with my my 10 and I think it will be camera and 2 lenses (10-18 and 17-55) and leave it at that BUT just a little tempted to bring the 70-200 along too but restrict the days out I take it with me.

Going to get a smaller bag too and just use the remote app on my phone to trigger LE shots

Last edited:
Staten Island Yankees are worth a visit, great backdrop and fireworks after some games.

Just been looking at this as one of the things I have wanted to do is travel on the Staten Island ferry and you are right, the back drop is somewhat stunning :)

Sat in the departure lounge now.

Decided on the 10-18, 17-55 and 70-200 but left the Sigma 150-600 at home

Weather forecast looks a little mixed but some thunder storms predicted plus an eclipse I believe on the 21st

Hope the shots come nicely.

We're heading across on the 21st for our honeymoon so will be keeping an eye on how you get on over there :)

We're heading across on the 21st for our honeymoon so will be keeping an eye on how you get on over there :)

Conscious you are heading this way soon so mini update (I will put a proper update on later when home and rested and had chance to sort and edit my pictures - done a few on my iPad in Lightroom but only on the jpegs and not spent much time on them)

Flickr link here https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonykeogh/albums/72157687368434376

It's very very hot and humid. High 20's but it's the mugginess that tires you out

It's expensive. Occasional bargain to be had but you need to search and when you got to eat (or rather when when the wife and kids got to eat) it's needs must.

Subway is superb and highly recommended. Take your time and don't rush to the platforms. Make sure it's the best train. Can be a bit of a bun fight but you get used to it. Platforms are stifling but the trains have air con.

Wifi is all over the place for free. Cafes, restaurants, shops, parks etc

Plan for things like photography sessions to take longer. Everywhere is very busy and lots of places are full of people with phones and cameras etc and who can blame them. if your new wife is very patient you will do better but my wife and kids have got bored quickly so have kept moving on.

We have done a lot but lots more still on the list to do and still a few days left

Good luck with the wedding and honeymoon.

PS Radio City tour was excellent and Top of the Rock good too with $15 surcharge to visit at night as well as day. Try get there early as sun will be straight at you if you leave it later (ESB shot) sunset was not really possible and would suggest you go later when people are leaving (9ish onwards) packed at sunset on the top decks waiting for ESB to light up.

Back