New York - One Lens

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Off to the big apple in November and packing the 5D3.. But in a quandary about which lens to take (I only want to take one).

I have 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L.

Also have a 15mm fish eye that I could squeeze in as its so tiny.

Looking to shoot both documentary and touristy.

I'd prefer the 70-200 but not been before so don't know how enclosed things will be, or whether it will scream 'tourist mug me' too much.

Anyone that's been care to share your experiences?

I wouldn't want to go to a place like NYC with just one lens however if so then it's got to be wide so I would say 17-40L.

Last edited:
To me, a trip to NY would be an opportunity for some cityscape and street photography. With that in mind I'd take either your 17-40 or 24-70. Personally I'd go for the 24-70 as it would be a great all rounder for the trip.

17-40, you'll definitely want to be wider than 24mm quite often, the sheer scale of the place demands it.

Having just got a 17-40 myself I think it'd be a great lens to take if you can only take one. You should get some great cityscape photos with it.

Personally, I would take the 17-40L and 24-70L and leave a pair of socks at home to make room for the second lens! (Pretty sure you'll be able to find a shop that sells socks...) Personally (again!) I wouldn't bother with the fisheye if I was taking the 17-40 - it's not that much wider and if you particularly want the extra distortions the fisheye would add, there's always PP! (Were it an 8mm that gives a full 180° circular image, it would be a different matter.)

I would get hold of a small LowePro (or similar) lens case that will take either lens so the "spare" can go in a coat pocket (NY in Nov is chilly I think?) - that and a top loader type body/lens case should hold the body and all 3 lenses with room for spare batteries (although if it's cold, an inside pocket might be best), cards and a basic cleaning kit.

Whatever you take, have a great trip!

17-40 will get all the cityscapes you'll want, but 24-70 sounds good for street shots ? so depends on what you want to shoot.

I'm tempted to say if you want to shoot a mix of stuff take the 24-70 and be prepared to stitch shots together for the panoramas.

I wouldn't want to go to a place like NYC with just one lens however if so then it's got to be wide so I would say 17-40L.

Depends what you're looking to photograph. I used to always go with just a 35mm. Last trip I went with an iphone 5 and took some of my favourite shots of all my trips there.

Personally, I would take the 17-40L and 24-70L and leave a pair of socks at home to make room for the second lens! (Pretty sure you'll be able to find a shop that sells socks...) Personally (again!) I wouldn't bother with the fisheye if I was taking the 17-40 - it's not that much wider and if you particularly want the extra distortions the fisheye would add, there's always PP! (Were it an 8mm that gives a full 180° circular image, it would be a different matter.)

I would get hold of a small LowePro (or similar) lens case that will take either lens so the "spare" can go in a coat pocket (NY in Nov is chilly I think?) - that and a top loader type body/lens case should hold the body and all 3 lenses with room for spare batteries (although if it's cold, an inside pocket might be best), cards and a basic cleaning kit.

Whatever you take, have a great trip!

Cheers, I can't wait to be honest, big surprise for the wife too she thinks I've booked Italy lol (she's always wanted to go to NY so it'll blow her away).

We've got ample baggage allowance so there's no sock worries, I just don't think it's fair to be lugging kit around on a 10th anniversary trip, even though my wife wouldn't be too fussed, she'll be expecting me to be taking a lot of pics, I just don't want to turn it into a photo break.

I guess I don't really want to stand out like a camera laden tourist too much either, although i'm sure every man and his dog has got an SLR in NY these days.

I don't want to take more than a Lowepro Classified 140, so don't want to regret making a wrong choice when it's too late.

Go 17-40. I have gone to NYC with a 17-40 and a 24-70. I found myself using the 17-40 70% of the time. 24-70 was good too when I wandered around the streets. But for the bulk of the sites you will visit, go for the 17-40.

Cheers for the input everyone aswell, all food for thought. I want to shoot a bit of everything, the touristy stuff, sights etc, and also street/docu stuff, characters, bit of NY life etc.

What I recently did when I was in tokyo was to take a standard zoom and an ultrawide and only take one with me during the day depending on what the plan was. hotels have safes so it wasnt a problem leaving one of the two begind

Definately as wide as possible but I would settle for the 24-70 in your case also agree about taking a decent camera phone, last time I went I used my galaxy s2 quite a bit. I would definately try and take more glass though if you want documentary and tourist stuff.

I took (on crop) an 18-55 and a 50mm prime. I managed virtually every shot I wanted (don't like UWA in cities, as it distorts everything!), so with that in mind, I think the 24-70 will be the best all round lens. If only you had a 24-105!

i'd go 24-105 as above, but as you don't have it, 24-70 :)

and as Jacob mentions, why not leave one in the room/hotel safe when not in use? best of both then. or are you worried that if you take both, you'll have to cart both out everyday 'because' sort of thing?

When we went to NY back in 2005 I used a 17-40 most of the time but also made some use of a 28-135IS. This was a while back, with a 300D, if I was going back now with a full frame DSLR and only allowed one lens then I'd be taking my 24-70. Very similar focal lengths to the 17-40 on the crop camera. I have to say though, my favourite photo from the trip was taken with the 28-135 @ 1/10sec and I wouldn't have been able to capture it as well without IS.

I'm heading over for new year and planning for wide 16-35 and 24-70 but considering 70-200 as well

hi,

not sure if you've thought about this but ive been to NYC many times and there are lots of places you can conveniently hire lenses like adorama? This might be an option if you want to use a specific lens for only a few days!

Glad i checked back now i thought this had run it's course. Thanks again for all the additional input.

The people that stand out are the people without DSLR's! :LOL:
The DSLR's are everywhere, literally.

I imagine they are.. still a bit dubious about walking around with 3k plus of kit though i guess.

i'd go 24-105 as above, but as you don't have it, 24-70 :)

and as Jacob mentions, why not leave one in the room/hotel safe when not in use? best of both then. or are you worried that if you take both, you'll have to cart both out everyday 'because' sort of thing?

Yes absolutely.. if it goes with me it will be going everywhere with me.

Take a breath and take both 24-70 (the mainstay) and pack 17-40 for those few extra wide shots. 17-40 is tiny

I think i'm going to have to to be honest.

I'm heading over for new year and planning for wide 16-35 and 24-70 but considering 70-200 as well

See that's what started my whole dilemma.. i love my 70-200 fo people shots and pulling out details etc.

I going over there next week (via the West coast) I'll be taking a 5D3 and 24-70. I only ever take the 24-70 when travelling, chuck the camera over your shoulder and don't worry about it. Having a bag to carry everywhere with extra lenses, etc would **** me off.

I doubt i'd be able to relax doing that.. i'd be constantly waiting for that very expensive 'tug'. Though i do see the appeal.. i could even slot the 17-40 in the wife's bag.

I was in NYC last December. I used nothing but the 24-70 really. Though I had an 85 and 70-200 with me too. I barely used them. What I wished I had was a wider lens. Like a 16-35 or 14mm prime. I almost bought one in B&H. Because the city is so tight, and you'll want to get all those tall buildings in frame, a 17-40 is your best bet. Honestly, you will barely touch a zoom lens over there unless you do the boat trip out to the statue. Even then the wide will work better to get some cityscape in behind. If I were you I'd take that one, and try squeeze the 24-70 in too. Or get an 85mm prime.

Was at NYC a 2 months ago, bought a 12-24 and 24-70 with me. As it was so hot and sporting a foot injury I found that I managed to get by with only the 12-24. By all means if you have no problems carrying the equipment around, 24-70 and 70-200 could be of use depending on your shooting style. If I was to go again, it would be a wide zoom and a small prime like a 50mm.

Definitely visit the B&H store it's like candy land for photographers.

B&H is great. I was all set to buy a used 14mm prime only to discover I'd lost my passport! [you need ID when purchasing using a credit card most places] - luckily I found the passport later on, and the GAS had passed :D

I have loved using the 16-35 so much the last 2 months that I am considering not taking the 24-70 and go with the 16-35 and 70-200 as I like to get close and if I cant with the 16-35 the 70-200 will let me.

and If I need somthing else then off to Adorama for a hire but I think I should be ok with those 2.

I doubt i'd be able to relax doing that.. i'd be constantly waiting for that very expensive 'tug'. Though i do see the appeal.. i could even slot the 17-40 in the wife's bag.

Depends on the purpose of your trip. But I can't think of much worse than lugging a camera bag everywhere.

New York is generally pretty 'safe' nowadays, it's just like any other city, and jam packed with tourists (and locals) with cameras. The New York of the 80s and early 90s has long since been gentrified and sterilised to a degree.

Depends on the purpose of your trip. But I can't think of much worse than lugging a camera bag everywhere.

New York is generally pretty 'safe' nowadays, it's just like any other city, and jam packed with tourists (and locals) with cameras. The New York of the 80s and early 90s has long since been gentrified and sterilised to a degree.

I've just been there. Yep, its pretty safe anywhere in Manhattan, and to be honest I found every lens I took very useful, except 50mm. 14mm was particular fun, but overall 24-70 took the most shots

Metro was the only slightly "scary" place due to the number of people passing by (somebody could grab and run), but nothing such happened.

Im heading out there in December. For me I will take the 5dii, 17-40 and the 24-70. Will stick it in the Retrospective 5 bag (I cant recommend this enough btw). At night will just take the point and shoot.

Try not to over think it, I'm not going their to take photos, Im going their to enjoy the city. Any nice photos are a bonus.

Oh. and Enjoy, I look forward to seeing the pics.

I wrestled this problem a few times. I tried taking multiple cameras and lenses, one camera and lens, sometimes even no camera to make sure I was enjoying myself. Now I am trying a Nikon 1 with a wide lens for compactness and weight and one DSLR with a mid zoom.

If I was to lug around your larger DSLR I would take the mid zoom because it is more versatile, plus I have found the larger the camera the more people mind when you get closer to catch that wider shot.

on the last trip we did to DC & NYC in August I left the kit in the hotel most of the time, except for those times we went out to shoot and use my iphone5 and enjoyed the break more because I was not carrying kit around and it was refreshing and we got all the touristy stuff on the phone, including video.
If you are buying kit check Adorama as well as B&H.
Enjoy its a great place and if she likes shopping a short bus ride to Jersey Gardens gets you to the outlet centre, or century 21 next to ground zero.

I wrestled this problem a few times. I tried taking multiple cameras and lenses, one camera and lens, sometimes even no camera to make sure I was enjoying myself. Now I am trying a Nikon 1 with a wide lens for compactness and weight and one DSLR with a mid zoom.

If I was to lug around your larger DSLR I would take the mid zoom because it is more versatile, plus I have found the larger the camera the more people mind when you get closer to catch that wider shot.

I must admit a friend has just bought a Fuji XPro1 and having had a little play with it I was tempted to get one of those and a 35 prime.. Then take my Panasonic TZ8.

But I just know I'll miss a DSLR if I don't take it.

24-70 With out a doubt !!

New York is amazing and thats the perfect lens for the perfect city.

Had the same dilemma, off on a med cruise in the next few hours and deciding on what camera and lens has been a headache.

Eventually decided on my newish Nikon D800 to give it a tryout properly with a 50mm f1.4 lens for night shots mainly and my 24-120mm f3.5-5.6 which worked out well on my D300. Ok little less range with the D800 but a little cropping if necessary should compensate. Not forgetting the video side of things ,apart from the Video on the D800 I have decided to take my Panasonic HC-X900M camcorder which also can take 16 MP of stills as well not only in the built in 32GB of memory but with the SD card as well although the SD card would be for the video side of things.
I was debating to take the 70-300mm lens but bag weight came into the equation so something had to give.

Seriously think the new 80-400mm nikon lens is next on the cards So anyone with this lens can give their thoughts about it most welcome and thanks in advance

Last edited:
HI,

I just got back today....

I took my 17-40 , my 24-105 and my 70-200 (with my 5D3)

90% of my shots were with the 17-40.

You will need the width, 24 is just not wide enough in town so the 24-105 just stayed in the safe the whole trip.

I used the 70-200 in Central Park to get birds and people.

Check out:-

• The high line (14th st)
  • Staten Island Ferry if you want to see the statue of Liberty without going up
  • Brooklyn bridge or shoot manhatten and the BB from the Manhatten bridge
  • Go up the Rockafella for sunset and get pictures with the Empire State in it
  • Go up the empire state as well of course (102 floor is through glass/plastic so not good for photography, but observatory deck has big gaps to shoot through)
  • Central Park
  • Carnegie Deli Rueben
  • Cheesecake.....
  • Cheesecake......

Enjoy your trip.

Back