Non UK New York - which gear?

Edit My Images
No
My 19 year old daughter is going for her first trip to New York in March and doesn't want to transport, or walk around with, much gear. The options are compact and/or DSLR + lens/es e.g.

Fuji X10 for convenience and being inconspicuous.

Sony A57 with Sigma 17-70mm and/or Sigma 10-20mm.

I feel that if she takes the DSLR she can get away with the 10-20mm for the cityscape/wide shots. In which case the X10 can handle the other stuff as it is is effectively the same focal length as the 17-70mm. She would not want to take the DSLR and both lenses.

If she can only manage the X10, would that cover most shots in New York?

Thanks for any advice, as I've never been the NY myself.

For me NY was a bit of a conundrum, I desperately wanted to take everything I own camera gear wise so as to not miss a shot, but in the end I settled on just taking an RX1R (a 35 mm fixed, FF compact)

I found a few occasions where i wanted wider, and even some where i wanted zoom, but i think going 35mm fixed was the right choice overall for me. It forced me to look at NY and make a picture out of it, rather than just snapping away all through the zoom range as can be so tempting (for me at least)

I don't know too much about the spec of the X10, but on a simple SLR vs "more compact option" I'd only ever pick the SLR if I was going back specifically to take photos, otherwise there is so much to see/do/experience that the simpler the camera I had with me the more i would enjoy the trip.

Worst case scenario, if she takes the X10 and wants an SLR there are camera shops on almost every block, and B+H is on 35th :)

Not photography related BUT make sure she is very prepared to walk for miles with very good trainers or similar.

It's like a film set you recognise on every street corner.

The subway is brilliant but there is so much to see that you just want to walk and absorb the atmosphere.

I have been to a lot of big cities but New York is just the daddy of them all.

I'm there in 19 days... Can't wait...

Not photography related BUT make sure she is very prepared to walk for miles with very good trainers or similar.

It's like a film set you recognise on every street corner.

The subway is brilliant but there is so much to see that you just want to walk and absorb the atmosphere.

I have been to a lot of big cities but New York is just the daddy of them all.

I like the way there is very little "wasted" space in NYC as so much of the building is up it means the main part city is very compact and walkable compared with say London which seems quite spread out by comparison.

Been there 3 times now, last time was August 2015 for 2 weeks....still didn't see it all! most used lens was the 17-40, buildings are high and streets are not that wide, especially Greenwich Village etc.... So a wide angle is a must.

Used the 24-105 on occasion for street shots or mid zoom.

Enjoy, we love it there.

Last edited:
I'll be going in May and have decided to only take the one camera with an 80mm prime lens (which is about 50mm or so equivalent on full frame). Looking through my lightroom catalogue of other city trips, I've noticed that I've taken far too many wide angle photos and nowhere near enough close up detail photos (which are the elements of a city that I think make each city special). I did this in Paris last year and I got some great photos which I wouldn't have thought to take if I'd taken a zoom lens for every focal range. Plus one camera and one lens means I'm not bogged down walking around with a bag full of gear

If you are not carrying a wide enough lens, do a panorama + stitch the shots. As long as the subject is fairly static it more or less equates to a wide angle lens.

I'd take a m43 system, as a body and 3 lenses is amazingly compact. And light.

I've now decided what kit I'll be taking
Nikon D750
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikon 24-120mm f/4 or Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 but thinking the 24-120mm as it has the extra 50mm at the long end, plus I did buy it as a kit with the D750 with my trip in mind.
Fuji X100T
3 Legged Thing - Brian

Depends on how you see the image.
I saw it through a wide angle prime like a widescreen film, so thats all I took.
I did miss a 70-200 for capturing the details however.
But travelling light for all the walking and enjoying the moment has a lot to be said.
Its a personal choice.

Depends on what you like to do shoot - but I'd hate to be there without a proper wide-angle lens if you want to get buildings in - they really are concrete canyons.

Whatever you do, go up Top of the Rock at sunset on a decent day - absolutely worth the money!

For my trip to nyc I took a dslr, sigma 10-20 and sigma 70-200. A tripod was taken too but hardly used

Interested to know how you fared without the 20-50 range.

Did the 70-200 get much use?

I used the 70-200 a fair amount. The rockerfella tree, the empire state from ground level etc etc

Take nothing and hire what you need at B&H.

An absolute must see amongst all the NYC sights.

(If only for the conveyor belts and the kid in a toyshop feeling).

New York is one of those destinations that you could very well use every bit of your kit: there's great vistas and views from across the river with a wide angle, there are street shots galore and architectural shots:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcmThv

I can't imagine walking around with one lens and not bringing a tripod. I MUST bring everything I can carry or I'd probably end up buying more gear at B&H or Adorama.

New York is one of those destinations that you could very well use every bit of your kit: there's great vistas and views from across the river with a wide angle, there are street shots galore and architectural shots:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvcmThv

I can't imagine walking around with one lens and not bringing a tripod. I MUST bring everything I can carry or I'd probably end up buying more gear at B&H or Adorama.
Great album this and certainly helped me with my lens choices, thanks for keeping the exif data!

Cheers

wide angle is a must, i used my 24-70 most of the time i was there and only once use the zoom lens i took with me on the river cruise getting some shots of the statue of liberty. Tripod is handy at night but just remember you can't use it everywhere (especially at the top of the rock/empire state observatory), if you come across a carbon fibre velbon monopod in a cab at any stage do me a favour and grab it for me :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Going in 3 weeks time and taking the 6D 16-35F4-24-105- 430EX and zomei travel tripod. Cannot wait to go

Back