New York

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I am going to New York at the end of November. I'm a total newbie but really like black and white urban/city photography. Anyone have any pointers on filters or just general tips on shooting black and white in cities? (Using a Nikon d7000 with 18-105mm lens)

Phil

Shoot in colour and worry about B&W PP when you get back home.

Get some different shots - please, it will make your photographs really stand out, get shots of the subway if possible, steam coming from the drains, some alleyways - things that we dont normally see (still take skyline shots and bridge shots etc.. all the usual stuff) - but try and capture something about New York that says "this is the real New York". You'll be ever so glad you did.

Welcome btw. Most people visit that thread first before posting requests.

Go google "real new york" images and see what you can do. The 18-105 will get you some good wide-shots at 18mm of buildings, get different angles, low down shots. I hope you post your efforts on here when you get back! (y)

Last edited:
Hi Carl

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it. Great shout on the "real New York", I will defiantly look into that, people have seen enough of the Statue of Liberty and Brooklyn bridge. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the alleys etc plus doing some research before hand.

Thanks again

Phil

The place is amazing, you will feel like a kid in a candy shop. Take a extra sd card and battery and just shoot everything.

Oh yeah take some thermal underwear this time of year can be crazy cold!

I was there 2 years ago, wonderful city. Dying to go back some day, as we had only 5 days, and it was during the pre-Christmas shopping period. WOuld love to go at a quieter time and take more of it in.

Wide is definitely the way to go. I had the 24-70 with me at the time and almost bought a 14mm prime in B&H [a place you must visit while there! amazing camera store] so I could take in more of the architecture. For street, just hit time square at night, you'll find shoot-worthy things going on every few steps!

Last edited:
I've never been to New York, but my daughter goes there now and again. She loves it, and was blown away by B & H. Worth a visit if you have time, just bear in mind that the store closes on Jewish holidays, including the Sabbath (Friday afternoon until Sunday morning). Good place to buy extra memory cards etc too.

I agree with the suggestions to look for more unusual shots, but take the usual 'tourist' stuff too. It's all been photographed millions of times before, but not by you, and I'm sure you'll want the reminders of your trip.

Back