New Zealand Backcountry

Ted

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a short visit back to NZ recently and managed to get off the beaten track a bit and visit some places I hadn't seen before. I dont even know what this region is called (somewhere near Molesworth Station) but the only way to get there is on pretty rough gravel roads..

more to come

20090522214248_nz5.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I'm sure it'll go down well on here. The clouds are working well, and you have some nice modeling on the mountains.

I find the foreground a bit overpowering though, my eyes get stuck on that rock towards the right hand side. Maybe if there were more similar rocks, that one wouldn't be quite so dominant in the frame. :shrug:

[Is that a hair on your sensor? About an inch above the large rock]

Like it. Lovely composition and tones.

I find the foreground a bit overpowering though, my eyes get stuck on that rock towards the right hand side. Maybe if there were more similar rocks, that one wouldn't be quite so dominant in the frame. :shrug:

[Is that a hair on your sensor? About an inch above the large rock]

I think you might be right about the hair! good spotting.

I know what you are saying about the rock and thought the same thing while I was there. I actually removed it for some of the shots but it left that area a bit empty and there was too much left to right action going on.

...I know what you are saying about the rock and thought the same thing while I was there. I actually removed it for some of the shots but it left that area a bit empty and there was too much left to right action going on.

Yea, it definitely needs something there to fill the space. Maybe dodging it a bit could lessen its weight.. probably over-analysing now though. :D

I had a short visit back to NZ recently and managed to get off the beaten track a bit and visit some places I hadn't seen before. I dont even know what this region is called (somewhere near Molesworth Station) but the only way to get there is on pretty rough gravel roads..

Hi Ted, Molesworth Station is in the South Marlborough region, which for others is in the South Island.

Love the photo, I'm a North Islander (from Auckland) but you simply can't beat the beauty of the South Island

Was his a trip home Ted? or a holiday to our beautiful shores? Hope you had a good trip and hope you'll be back soon

I'm going off my first reaction when I saw the shot. I like it a lot. I first saw the fence which then led me into the mountain.

The only minor crit would be to maybe burn the rocks to the left a tad as they are a bit too bright and take your attention. Otherwise....it's a cracker.

Spot on for me ,great situ ,composition,just the way it is (y)

Hi Ted, Molesworth Station is in the South Marlborough region, which for others is in the South Island.

Love the photo, I'm a North Islander (from Auckland) but you simply can't beat the beauty of the South Island

Was his a trip home Ted? or a holiday to our beautiful shores? Hope you had a good trip and hope you'll be back soon

Hey Swampy. Nice to see i'm not the only NZer round here! I was back for a short visit to friends and family in Christchurch

I really like these type of shots. What lens?

I really like these type of shots. What lens?

Sigma 10-20mm @ 10mm on a d90

In good light, at f8, on a good tripod (and with some selective sharpening in pp) it can produce pretty decent results :)

Back