New Zealand

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Myself and the Mrs are going for 3 weeks travelling around new zealand in a Camper in a couple of weeks. Weve drawn up a basic route we plan to take. Starting at Christchurch, travelling down to Milford Sound then up through the lakes (Taupo and Pukaki) before up to Abel Tasman. Then take a ferry accross to the North Island and work our way towards Aukland and fly back.

Does anyone who has been before have any tips of cool places to see en route? Any hidden gems they dont mind sharing?

I'll upload any keepers in the landscape section when we get back.

Thanks
Ben

On the north island, the volcanoes (Ruapehu/Ngaurhoe) and the thermal regions (around Rotorua but not just the closest to it) are so different from UK landscapes that they are really worth seeing.

Scratching again at an ageing memory - the thermal area at Orakei Korako, about 40 km s of Rotorua, is less visited and really good; if your route from the southern lakes is up the West Coast, Punakaiki is good (blowhole, amazing rocks) and some of the inland tracks there (Inland Pack Track??) go to beautiful rivers. Some of the honeypots - Milford, Abel Tasman, Waiotapu, etc are very busy; if you have time to walk on less popular tracks eg Wilkin, Matukituki, you get to amazing places but it does take time and effort..... Nelson Lakes, towards the n of the South Island, is underestimated - not framatic compared to some areas but good. And the ferry across to Wellington from Picton is stunning. Have a great trip!

Thanks John. We have pencilled in a trip to the redwoods forests around Rorotua, but Ive heard the geothermal pools are overprices and a bit tacky now. Will definately have a look at the area a bit further south as you recommended.

The route you have planned through the South Island will take you through some great and very photogenic scenery. Other places to check out if time permits are Wanaka, Cardrona, Treble Cone, Mount Aspiring National Park and the west coast (check the roads have re-opened, they were closed by huge landslides a while back). Wellington has a good city, cafe scene if you want a couple of days to relax on the journey north. It's a small country and relatively easy to get around, but speed limit is only 100kph in most places and enforced, so you don't be in a rush. I'd spend most of the time in the south island. Can you get a flexible booking for the ferry?

Back