New Zoom Lens

Name
Russell Hill
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I am trying to decide on my next lens at the moment and I think it is between two. I want to replace my Tamron 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di II LD Macro which came with my 400D. It’s a nice little lens and for the money it’s great but I am looking for more zoom and quality.

So the bad boys I am looking at:-

100-400L - I know its getting old now but still want one :)

Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM - This seems to have a great range with the wider 50 rather than the 100 and more zoom at 500 rather than the 400 so on paper its great. Has anyone used this lens or played with one?

Now I am getting into my motor sport photography now so really this will be the main use of the lens but also wildlife too. I know you guys love sharing your know-how of these things so any advice would be great and if you think there is a different lens that would be better then say so :) Also I don’t really want to go much below 400 zoom as the main reason for me replacing my Tamron is to get much more reach.

See if you can go into a shop and try them. I did that last year when I was thinking of buying a lens for a wildlife (polar bears!) holiday. I tried the Canon 100-400L against the Sigma 50-500 and 170-500, and I thought the Canon was head and shoulders better than the other two in terms of image quality, build quality, functionality and ergonomics. (But it was also more expensive, and I couldn't justify £1000 on a lens I might not use very often.)

Back