Newark Priory, not anywhere near Newark

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
This place was built in 1189 and disestablished in 1538. Granted, it could do with a coat of paint and a bit of rendering. It's just near Ripley in Surrey, and the River Wey is the water you see in the foreground. Often there are cows wandering around but thankfully not on the morning I shot this a few days back. Lovely early morning mist, subtle colours in the sky, and some nice pink flowers. It's a tricky place to get a good shot of as it's hard to find an ideal composition. It looks like it should be easy, but much tramping about is required.

Leica M10, 24 Summilux, f/11 ish. No filters needed.

37152923372_7fc3d25132_b.jpg

Nicely done and you did find a good spot to photograph it from you even missed the power lines. It is a good spot for a bit of mist.

I go past here quite a bit and it is the only place where I have taken a picture and where when I got home I noticed a figure in the photo but there was no one near when I took the photo,

The mist, the colours and the ruin are lovely. I can do without the flowers and the vegatation around them, but then you'd have to alter the crop quite a bit. I know exactly what it's like when you can't get that perfect composition you know is there............... if you could only hover over the middle of the river....;)

The mist, the colours and the ruin are lovely. I can do without the flowers and the vegatation around them, but then you'd have to alter the crop quite a bit. I know exactly what it's like when you can't get that perfect composition you know is there............... if you could only hover over the middle of the river....;)

Yep. I'd, in my usual style, gone after the simple 50:50 reflection. But that's me, it's the type of image I simply like the most.

Lovely tones in this, looks like a good fixer-upper ;)

btw looks like there is a dust bunny top right

btw looks like there is a dust bunny top right

Well spotted!! I missed that one somehow. Doh.

Regarding composition, I kind of liked the foreground flowers & their colour, the near bank leading up to the trees (particularly the straggly one), which joins the foreground and the distance where the Abbey is. Or that's how I justified it to myself anyway. Thanks for the feedback!

A lick of paint and I'd live there ;) I rather like the foreground flowers, forms a satisfying kind of triangle between the main focial points of the image to me (maybe just me seeing that!?) Plus I'm a sucker for misty shots, this looks like an atmospheric place for it. Very nice.

5 minutes from my house - and I agree with it being a tricky place to find the right composition. That and the cows...

Excellent photo, a real photographer's shot if that makes any sense.

Back