Newb lens question.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Basically today I got my first of three lenses for my first DSLR (canon 550d) and on it it has written "macro 1.1m/3.6ft". What exactly does that mean? Is that the best distance to get macro shots or have I gone and bought the wrong lens. I bought it as my telephoto lens. It's a Canon 55-250mm mkII lens that I was told on here that it was a better option than the the 70-300mm Canon lens I was asking about in a previous topic.

I'm still currently waiting on a Tamron 17-50mm and a 35mm prime. Also took advice on here with buying them(y)

Hi i'll attempt to explain this the best way I can. . .

The 'Macro' refers to the closest focusing distance for that lens, which happens to be 1.1m or 3.6ft ie the closest distance you can get the camera to the object that the camera will be able achieve focus.

This will give you the largest magnification of the object,

manufactures put 'macro' as a designation on some lens as sorta a selling tool. :rules:

It sounds better than a non-macro right?
Unfortunately it doesn't mean its a 'true marco' lens, which would be one which achieves a 1:1 magnification ratio of the object on your camera's sensor.

Doesn't mean it won't take good close up or detail shots etc just won't be as-macro as it is possible to get if that makes sense? :bonk:

In the real world, I wouldn't so much worry about it if your taking a close up shot just bare it in mind as the closest distance you can achieve focus from. . .:D

Try moving a book towards your face. You'll find that once it gets about 6 inches from the tip of yor nose, your eyes can no longer focus on the print.

Just like your eyes, each lens has a 'minimum' focusing distance - the distance between the target and the film / sensor inside the camera.

Some lenses are able to focus very close and some can't. Generally speaking the longer the focal length (in mm) the longer the minimum focusing distance will be.

A lot of lenses will indicate a 'macro' point because it's the point whereby ta given lens manages it's maximum 'close up' setting however the term 'macro' can be slightly misleading.

'Macro' has become somewhat of a loose term for 'close up' but 'true' macro is where a lens (through a combination of it's min focusing distance and focal length) enables you to capture a subject at life size (1:1) on a frame of negative film or in digital photography, the camera's sensor.

PS

Whilst not 'macro' your 55-250mm mkII lens is a good choice.

Last edited:
Back