[Newbie] Advice on equipment

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I am planning a trip to New York, in the next few months. I am a complete novice in photography, but I am looking to add to my equipment. I Currently have Nikon D3100, 17-55mm and 50-200mm kit lenses.
Just looking for some suggestions as to what to get before I go. I understand that full tripods arnt allowed in NYC, so I'm looking at the Joby GP2B Gorillapod Hybrid Tripod, also looking to buy Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G Lens. Do these seems reasonable purchases?

Also does anyone have any advice on which wireless shutter release I should buy?

Thanks Al

I go every other year, fantastic

I now only take the 35mm 1.8 dx and a spare battery.

I'm going too in August, so I was recently in the same position you are in and I was asking the same questions!

I had a D40 with the same kit lenses you had but I purchased the 35mm f/1.8 a few weeks ago and haven't looked back since. It's a fantastic lens and I can't wait to try it out when I get there, I highly recommend it. I have recently upgraded my camera this week to a D5100 and I am noticing an even bigger improvement in my image quality.

I also bought a 3rd party shutter release control from Amazon last week for £2 which works great.

Thanks guys!
Im really looking forward to it!
Feel free to share some tips with me as to where to go and when? :)

And lawrence what item was that? So wired > wireless release?

Thanks guys!
Im really looking forward to it!
Feel free to share some tips with me as to where to go and when? :)

And lawrence what item was that? So wired > wireless release?

I've got the wireless controller which works fine.

Have you booked the holiday yet? I normally go to New York in August because I like the heat.

some recommendation people left for me when i went
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=274501

and some advise that was given regarding equipment
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=272965

Thanks alot mate much appreciated!

Went for this list in the end...Look forward to them arriving!

STO-FEN 400 STO-FEN 400

Nikon Speedlight SB-400 External Flash Nikon Speedlight SB-400 External Flash

Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G Lens Nikon AF-S DX 35mm f1.8G Lens

Zeikos ZE-FLK52 52mm Professional MULTI-COATED Glass Filter Kit UV Polarizer Flourescent Zeikos ZE-FLK52 52mm Professional MULTI-COATED Glass Filter Kit UV Polarizer Flourescent

Joby Gorillapod for - SLR Zoom

Pro 100M Wireless Shutter Remote

A quick bit of research say that tripods actually aren't banned, as long as you aren't a professional film crew and don't cause an obstruction.

A quick bit of research say that tripods actually aren't banned, as long as you aren't a professional film crew and don't cause an obstruction.

With the 35mm 1.8 you will not need a tripod

i took the 35m f/1.8G to New York last month and it was great :) never came off my D200, all my other lenses stayed in my bag for the whole trip :)

Back