Beginner Newbie advice

Yea I did figure as much, I am tying myself in knots to be honest and I think I will settle on the D5200, it's the most recent and for what I will pay for it, it will more or less sell for the same-ish

Andy, I'd like to add a word of caution: the D200 is 19 years old and the Finepix S1 Pro 24 years old. Superb cameras in their day, but they might not work for much longer.
I agree. While the d200 was a decent camera in it's day, it wasnt the best in low light.

Don't pay for an online course yet. Look at a couple of youtube videos about the relationship between aperture/ISO/speed - and a couple about depth of field. That's the technical basics. Composition you either have instinctively already - or you can develop over time.

Then just get out and play. Then start looking at what you've taken, seeing what worked and what didn't - and only then start thinking about any more formal courses.

Right so I think I've settled on a Nikon D3200. Comes with a tripod, 3 batteries, camera bag, 2 lenses (18-55mm, 70-300mm) Jessop 360 shoe flash, an attachable flash ring and a few other bits and bobs mainly for lighting.

It was also meant to include a Fujifilm S5700 bridge camera but the lady has misplaced this along with the charger for the Nikon... but I've just got one of those. This was a set up that was her late brothers who did a few weddings but she genuinely knows nothing about any of it, hence it's sale.

I also have a Nikon B500 that I am currently playing with and can use as a bridge camera I guess along with the D3200.

The D3200 feels good in hand, I've no idea on the shutter count at the minute

Don't pay for an online course yet. Look at a couple of youtube videos about the relationship between aperture/ISO/speed - and a couple about depth of field. That's the technical basics. Composition you either have instinctively already - or you can develop over time.

Then just get out and play. Then start looking at what you've taken, seeing what worked and what didn't - and only then start thinking about any more formal courses.
Yes I will be getting some basics down via YouTube as advised further up the thread to start with and see how I get on . Then I will still more then likely look at a formal course that I have seen

If you want to read text as well as watch YouTube try this

Right so I think I've settled on a Nikon D3200. Comes with a tripod, 3 batteries, camera bag, 2 lenses (18-55mm, 70-300mm) Jessop 360 shoe flash, an attachable flash ring and a few other bits and bobs mainly for lighting.

It was also meant to include a Fujifilm S5700 bridge camera but the lady has misplaced this along with the charger for the Nikon... but I've just got one of those. This was a set up that was her late brothers who did a few weddings but she genuinely knows nothing about any of it, hence it's sale.

I also have a Nikon B500 that I am currently playing with and can use as a bridge camera I guess along with the D3200.

I wish you lots of fun with your camera. You can find its shutter count here:

I wish you lots of fun with your camera. You can find its shutter count here:

Thank you. I will be collected it in the next few days. I've got the B500 which we have had a for a while to play around with in the meantime. Thanks for the shutter count link.

If you want to read text as well as watch YouTube try this

Thanks so much for this reference. This is really helpful

I learned on a Nikon 3200. Really loved it!

I did also sign up for a diploma course with the institute of photography. Granted advice given was not to bother and just play about/watch YouTube videos, but I have learnt quite a fair mass amount from what I've done so far and learnt a heck of a lot about my D3200 too.

Back