NEWBIE ALERT! Is Aperture enough?

Name
David Purvis
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I'm brand new, both to D-SLR photography and to this site, although I've enjoyed photography on a point and shoot basis for a long time.

Having just bought myself an EOS 450d and already having a Macbook with Aperture, my pictures are already looking loads better. However, I notice a lot of you are using Photoshop and although i know basically what it does, I'm slightly confused as to whether it will be something I will find beneficial or not.

Until finances allow i'll be using just Aperture, but would somebody with more knowledge than me (i.e. all of you:)) explain the differences i will find between Aperture and Photoshop?

Thanks,
Dave.

Thanks Hypnotic. I have to say - this is a very friendly forum.

I also ride mountain bikes and use their forums, and you almost have to wear virtual armour or become immune to sneering when posting a question.

Welcome to the forum, I do have both aperture and photoshop loaded, Aperture is more a library system, which allow a limited level of adjustments to shots, where as Photoshop is a full blown editing suite.

I normally only use aperture for my ajustments, I have only used PS a coulple of time this year in total.

It therefore depends how much editing / post processing you wish to do as to whether you need to add PS.

Thanks Graham.

I've found Aperture pretty easy to use so far and it seems more than adequate for the things I do, but it's good to know your experiences with Photoshop.

I may well go for it in the future as I get a bit more experience.

Dave.

I use aperture as my main software and love it does alot and nearly everything i want it to do... But there are things in PS such as CS3 that I like to be able to do but I just cant afford and justify to pay £600 for a software when I could expand my kit

I use Lightroom rather than Aperture, but it does essentially the same thing - organising you files and developing RAW files, for my photography I can't see the advantage of photoshop as I can do all the editing I want in Lightroom.

Have you looked at the plug ins for Aperture? These will expand the amount of "tweaking" you can do...

Hmm Plugins hmmm wonder where the best place to find them

Apple website ;)

Aperture is good, but it's no substitute for PS when you need to edit a shot other than basic adjustments.

I also ride mountain bikes and use their forums, and you almost have to wear virtual armour or become immune to sneering when posting a question.

Hello fellow mountain biker. :)

Back