Scotland Newbie from Scotland

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I've always been interested in taking photos, so I've taken the plunge and bought a dslr. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from trawling this forum as well as getting out there with my camera.
At the moment I'm most interested in landscape photography but also have a huge interest in motorsports and I'm sure i'll try loads of different genres out. Hope to post some photos for critique soon.

Thanks.
Ross

Hi there Ross :welcome: to the forum

Hi Ross, And welcome aboard TP, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy".

Hi Ross and welcome to the site.

Hi Ross and as above a warm welcome to TP.
Hope you enjoy yourself here :)

********WELCOME*******

from SW Scotland

where you located..?

Hi guys,

I've always been interested in taking photos, so I've taken the plunge and bought a dslr.

Which DSLR did you buy and what others did you consider. What lens/lenses did you get with it. What sort of cameras have you had in the past.

Sorry for all the questions but I am always interested in understanding peoples thought process as to why they bought their specific kit.

By the way if you have not already bought one get a sling and ditch the neck strap, best change I ever made and only cost me a fiver, new they are £11.99 from Amazon.

Which DSLR did you buy and what others did you consider. What lens/lenses did you get with it. What sort of cameras have you had in the past.

Sorry for all the questions but I am always interested in understanding peoples thought process as to why they bought their specific kit.

By the way if you have not already bought one get a sling and ditch the neck strap, best change I ever made and only cost me a fiver, new they are £11.99 from Amazon.
When buying the DSLR I considered many of the entry level bodies - Canon 100D, 1200D and 700D/Nikon 5300 - and then I had a look at older bodies such as the Nikon D5200 and Canon 600/650D. Eventually after reading/watching many reviews I decided on the 700D. As I don't know what kind of photography I want to focus on I just went for the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens.

As a teenager I've not had many of my own cameras, but I got my own P&S when I was about 14 which was used heavily for scout camps and the sorts but that was really just snapshots, I then started to use the family bridge camera which is now about 8 years old and still in working order but I wanted more control over the settings on the camera and to be able to do more in pp. So that's when I decided that a DSLR was for me.

No need to apologise for the questions, suppose that's what the welcome section is meant for [emoji1]

I've had a look at the sling and ditch strap and it looks extremely convenient, definitely worth the money. Do you have any recommendations for a sturdy tripod that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Last edited:
I wish I did have a recommendation for a sturdy tripod but ever entry level one I have bought the wife has managed to brake the head off with her camcorder. Don't ask me how as her camcorder is lighter than my DSLR but they all just ended up in various pieces when I was not around and apparently it was my fault for not buying a decent one.

I used to live north east of Glasgow, Lenzie.

Back