Newbie: Help with Lens Filters Anyone heard of Mercury Optics?

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I just bought my first SLR and would like to buy some filters for my lens. I came across this on amazon:

52mm Merkury Optics 3-Piece High Resolution Filter Set

http://www.amazon.com/Merkury-Optic...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1186268042&sr=1-7

41cp2BvEBSL._SS400_.jpg

It's only $16!:woot:

Well, just wondering if anyone has used these filters before and if so, any general comments?

Will poor quality filters do any harm to the lens? I know some things it's worth spending a lot more because you get a lot more in return, however, are filters really that much different?

Any advice would be appreciated!:) thanks in advance.

Waiting for a reply.

Short version.. :)

Quality filters are made from similar quality glass to high end optics and often have expensive coatings similar to that on said lenses. For that reason they tend to be very expensive!

The argument against cheap filters is that they're likely to degrade the quality of that lens you paid all that wonga for.

I'm not a filter fan myself and can't see much use for them these days outside of a polariser and grads, and perhaps the old UV filter for protection in hostile environments.

I don't know this brand at all, but they're certainly cheap. Most people would advocate something in the mid price range. :)

And welcome! :wave:

If you don't use a uv filter for your lens, have you seen any deterioration to the lens yet? Most people insist me to buy at least a uv lens.

I don't use one on any of my lenses. I do however always use a lens hood which protects the lens front element from accidental knocks. I've never damaged a lens yet.

In hostile conditions though, very dusty, very wet etc, it's probably advisable to use one.

I don't use one on any of my lenses. I do however always use a lens hood which protects the lens front element from accidental knocks. I've never damaged a lens yet.

In hostile conditions though, very dusty, very wet etc, it's probably advisable to use one.

:) thanks a lot for your help. Greatly appreciated!

Back