Beginner Newbie intro

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

Just a quick post to say hi! I'm new to DSLR photography and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Canon 760D this afternoon!

Looking forward to learning & getting stuck in!

I have a 18-55 kit lens and am going to buy a 50mm today also. My interests are landscape, portrait and travel photography. Any lens recommendations to save for would be great!

Thanks Martin

Would be worth looking at a wider lens like 21/24 mm for landscape.

But play with what you have first and see what you really like. My love is Macro but that's not how I started and you never know another genre might grab your interest.

But welcome to the greatest forum in the world and look forward to seeing your efforts.

Hi Guys,

Just a quick post to say hi! I'm new to DSLR photography and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Canon 760D this afternoon!

Looking forward to learning & getting stuck in!

I have a 18-55 kit lens and am going to buy a 50mm today also. My interests are landscape, portrait and travel photography. Any lens recommendations to save for would be great!

Thanks Martin

Welcome!

Don't start saving for any new lenses yet - they won't make you a better photographer. Instead, learn how to use your new camera (aka new toy!) and its existing lens. It will cover a lot of types of shooting that you mention - at the long end it's fine for portraits* and at the short end it's a fairly wide angle for landscapes. Don't feel too confined to stick to those "conventions" though and see what impact using wide angles on people is (big noses!) and longer focal lengths on landscapes (bigger sun).

The best way to improve your photography is to get out and take as many shots as you can. Look at them and start to learn how they can be improved and where they don't need to be. Look at as many shots by other (good) photographers as you can and read up as much as you can.

Most of all, though - enjoy it.

* one note - you may see portraits with very shallow "depth of field" which means sharp eyes/eyelashes and then the rest of the face goes quickly out of focus. This is only possible with a faster lens than you have or a much longer telephoto (focal length) than your lens is capable of. But don't stress it - have a play with what you've got and don't feel you're missing out at this stage just because you can't shoot at f/1.8...

Edited at add - I missed that you've bought a 50mm which will likely be a fast enough lens to allow you to do a bit of the above anyway, so you're sorted for now (y)

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm in no hurry to expand my collection. Like you said pjm1 I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy and learning how to drive it! :)

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm in no hurry to expand my collection. Like you said pjm1 I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy and learning how to drive it! :)

Can really go off people fast... I said the same thing just a lot shorter.

Hehee :runaway:

Hi everyone, I am an amateur photographer and I enjoy taking pictures of hotrods, customs and classic cars and photographing wildlife. I have been doing this for 5 years now and I still consider myself a newbie to the photography game. I am hoping that I can, in due course hopefully sell a few of my photographs.

He is a bad horse! Chewing all that painted wood is doing him no good at all.

In the first one, the tree in the right top corner is intrusive. My only comment. I have always found horses difficult as they will never stand still in a suitable place.

Back