Newbie question

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I have also put this in the basics section but thought it maybe better in here If this is not correct and I have gone against forum rules Mods please remove.

Hi All
Just joined yesterday. In the next couple of weeks I will be purchasing my first dslr :) Looking at the Nikon d3100. I am going to the Isle of Man T.T. at the end of May for 10 days (50th Birthday :eek: present) so will be taking loads of pictures.(mainly bikes but also people and scenery) Could one of you experts please tell me what would be a good lens to buy other than the kit lens the camera comes with or should I just stick with the kit lens to start with. Also if you have any other help or advice that would be great.

Thanks very much.
Gary

TT- you'll need a long fast lens in my humble opinion ;)

I doubt if the kit lens will be up to taking the kind of shots you're after- unless its stationary Bikes and riders, then it will be fine

70-300mm or similar, would be my choice for moving bikes

Scenery 18-55mm or the lens I use 10-20mm

Les :D

The first two pics were taken at Quarter Bridge with a film camera and 50mm lens in 1980's which is broadly what you can expect to get with the Nikon you plan to buy - though the crop factor of the Nikon will get you significantly closer to the action. The third picture was taken at the Gooseneck, again with a 50mm lens. I could almost touch the rider, he was so close - that's the beauty of the TT!

By choosing your vantage point carefully, you should be able to get some atmospheric pictures with the standard zoom, and be able to crop into the really good images a little more once uploaded to a computer. The standard lens is also perfect for static bike shots, landscape's, and to perfect the art of panning fast-moving bikes.

Long lenses, especially wide-aperture ones, cost money and will get you right up close, and on a 10-day excursion to THE island at TT time, one would be very useful, but certainly not a necessity.

th0003-4.jpg

th0001-5.jpg

th0002-5.jpg

Thank you very much for the help and advice. Really like your pictures Dave thank you for sharing those with me.

Gary

Back