Beginner Newbie question...

Name
Heather
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All, I have a lens question.

When my dad passed he left me his camera equipment. They are older models of cameras and lenses. No digital.
He left a Vivitar 77mm telephoto lens that is in great shape. I currently have Canon EOS Rebel T3i camera. Can someone tell me if I can get an adapter for the telephoto lens? I would love to use it.

Thanks!!

Sorry for your loss.

What type of camera did you inherit? Do know which camera the Vivitar lens connects to now?

BTW, are you sure that '77mm' is the focal length of the lens? Wikipedia aand google do not list Vivtar as having made a 77mm lens. And 77mm is an odd focal length for a lenses anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you.

He had canon cameras, the telephoto lens fits on his canon FTb - QL. It an oldie! He also had a 70 - 150 mm vivitar lens on that same camera and fits perfect.

The telephoto lens has 77MM and 400MM printed on it. Vivtar - auto telephoto. I believe the number printed on it is probably the serial number No. 28501789.

I attached a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 9
Thanks. That extra information is helpful. That lens is a 400mm telephoto (a long lens). The 77mm refers to the diameter of the glass at the front of the lens. Here's a web page that talks about this lens - it's focused on its use on Pentax cameras but does discuss your lens (based on the serial number, it would be the 'Komine' version): https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-400mm-f5-6.html. This is quite an old lens, manual focus I think.

The FTb-QL was released in 1971 and used the FD mount. I don't think that this mount would be compatible with Rebel mounts since Canon changed from the FD mount to the EF mount around 1987. From the Wikipedia entry, I don't think that an FD mount lens will mount on a EF mount camera (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EF_lens_mount).

Now that you have pinned down the lens, maybe someone with a deeper knowledge of Canon mounts can chime in.

Back