Beginner Newbie says hi

Name
John Douglas
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening all.

Just a quick one to say hello to you all. I have been looking to move into a better photographic performance category. (i.e. give up the point and shoot for a better model)

As a complete new boy to the whole thing and looking at all the different types and models etc its really a case of where do I start?

I was looking to go for a typical Bridge Camera, but was advised by a friend who also suggested this forum to me, to go straight for a DSLR. Given that I supposed the primary use for the photography is for personal use whilst at motor racing events. what should I be looking for? I should also add I guess that I also will use it for some genera landscape and possible portrait shots but mainly want to try for the Motor racing aspect as I help out with a local Kart Club as well as travel around the country to watch various events.

sorry for the long introduction and hello to all. :)

I suppose I should include what I consider one of my best pictures so here goes. View attachment 8490

Thanks for any input. :)

Last edited:
Hello mate, welcome to the forum. :)

As for cameras... wow. So much for you to take in, the field is endless but, in all honesty, a basic dslr and zoom will be good enough for you to get some good shots but it depends how much your budget is. If you have a bigger budget than an entry dslr price then you could look at a second hand (or new!) nikon d7000/7100 or canon 7d or maybe a Sony a77 if you feel like being different. For a nice motorsport lens then you'll want something with a quick aperture like a 70-200 f2.8 which will throw fences better, but again, cost is higher. The cheaper, longer 70-300 mid range lenses such as the tamron sp vc or the nikon vr or the canon equivalent (or sony 70-300g)would be a nice compromise of quality and cost and will give you a little more length but it will be a slower lens starting at around f4-5.6.

That said, they're just some of the options which are all crop sensors. You may want to consider full frame, 4/3rds, mirrorless etc...

It all depends on what your style and budget is.

I like your photo too, nice leading line.

As a beginner myself, I can't really help you much other than to say that I opted for a Canon 1100d and i'm really happy with it. The best piece of advice I was given was to get out to the shops, pick up different models and see how they feel. As David says above though, your budget is going to be a major factor.
As for the image, I like it. Looks like you've got a good eye for a great shot.

Last edited:
welcome John, to the wonderful yet expensive hobby that is Photography , I personally use only SONY gear, with a bag full of lenses and flashguns - but others are available & all do the job, get down to a Photographic outlet and get some hands on experience see what feels right in your hands is my advice, for motor sport you'll need a telephoto lens like 70-200mm - 300mm, 400 mm etc, get you closer to the action

I use a 500mm for Wildlife and Birds- feel free to check out my web site :D

good effort on the photo you provided-I feel a lower view point and a closer crop would work, plus the image is a tad dark (Under exposed) I had a play to give you a feel for what I mean

above all ENJOY photography, any help just drop me a PM and I'll do what I can to answer any questions you may have ( as will most members within this forum, we're a friendly bunch) well mostly we are

Les :welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replys. Some great advice there to start me off. Many thanks guys. I think I'll pop into the local photo shop and have a look at the cameras they have. Be the best way for me to actually see the difference between the different type models etc.

Welcome John. As stated it really comes down to your budget. I wanted to add, keep in mind when you buy your first camera you are buying a system not just the body and lens combo. You will add to this system as you go. So buy as much as you can afford and buy what you consider to be the best system. I hope that helps.

:canon:but don't let me sway you into Canon :exit:

Again thanks for the great advice guys.

I'm looking at a budget of £500 really as I have done a bit of research now with the information given. Given that I may be able to stretch out by a small amount (£600 max) but ideally I'd like to stay within the £500 budget. Have been looking at canon7d and Nikon d5100. The former being a bit out of range for me but the later being about right in terms of budget. Does anyone have and experience with the Nikon D5100? Or is there another makes I should be looking at?

After doing a bit of research I have found a Nikon D5200 in the price bracket with two lenses. (18-55vr and 55-300vr) does anyone have any experience with this and what is the difference between the D5100 and the D5200? Sorry for all the questions guys but just trying to get a feel for it all.

The 5200 is a nice camera and the package will get you some length. The 5200 has a better sensor and processor along with a far superior focus and metering system iirc.

Thanks. I'm going to pop out to have a look at some cameras now then including the d5200. :)

So having had a look at various types of DSLR. and having actually gone into a shop to play with (Albeit shop models) some actual hardware there are a couple of things i have learned.

1. For my budget of £500 there is a lot to think about. However the price does limit in some respects (Obviously)
2. For me having looked at a couple of different models and types. my personal choice is the Nikon D5200. Hopefully it will do everything I ask of it. But I must say I am glad i went into a shop to go and play as they really do have an awful lot of differences in terms of feel/weight etc.
3. I have read a lot into all the different types/models. reviews are out there and I personally started to take an average out of all the different reviews from different sites/forums/friends etc. this is another reason why the D5200 seems the best choice for me.

all this being said I have now ordered one from Digtalrev and so far so good. order got dispatched today so by the time I get home at the end of the week I'll have a nice shiny new camera to play with. I am looking to try it out on the WEC down at Silverstone later in the month and some more shots of the Kart track I help out as well I will post some pictures to get some criticisms on my technique/ability. :)

Guys thanks for the help in me achieving this purchase. all your advice was great. Many thanks. :clap::D

As above welcome and enjoy your new camera when it arrives - oh and prepare to be broke from now on :D.

Shame you went to the dark side though, never mind, we all make mistakes occasionally :D :D :D

Last edited:
Back