Newbie to Video

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

I'm pretty confident with a camera for stills, but I've started playing recently with videos. I have a 5D3 and a 7D2 for bodies, and a 24-70 f2.8 mkII, 70-200 f2.8 mkI and 50mm f1.4 lenses (I also have a 300mm f2.8 and 2x converter for wildlife). I've been struggling with the focussing on moving subjects (Not fast moving things, just people walking towards the camera, etc) and wondered if I was doing things wrong (I'm assuming at this point that using Manual focussing is correct as I've found the autofocus to be quite rubbish in video mode on my cameras). I've looked at buying an EF mount Blackmagic Cinema Camera, but would this be any better at tracking moving subjects while filming?

I'm basically after a bit of advice/pointing in the right direction to get me started.

Also, is there any good guides to filmmaking using DSLR's or iphones/small camera's for that matter

Thanks,

Tim

Focusing is one of the issues with a DSLR, using the camera focusing isn't really practical as the exposure will alter whilst the camera focuses ( max aperture I guess) I tend to confine myself to a fairly wide angle lens setting usually about 24mm which gives a fair bit of DOF, focus on a middish point and it looks OK. With a telephoto it is going to be difficult trying to follow birds in flight for example and keep focus is impossible. There are various bits of kit you can get that attach to the camera to give you a follow focus.

Try and shoot footage until focus becomes an issue, the refocus on a new point, then repeat, have some 'B roll' footage that you can intersperse when editing the movie. It's surprising what you can do even with a single camera setup. This one was shot a various times during the day but edited to give the impression of a single event, I hope it proves helpful

This footage of myself and a friend playing guitar shows what happens when someone zooms in and doesn't refocus, I had initially set the focus for the first shots (Shot on my camera by a friend who didn't realise what zooming would do to the focus, but it will give you an idea.

Shout if you want any more help.

I would suggest getting a camcorder and then no focus issues.
I have a Panasonic HC-X900m which has served me well, No longer in production.
I found it so much easier than messing about trying to do a video with a DSLR..
Will even fit into a trouser pocket , well worth having a look at them anyway

taken hand held

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQI23VmWeCc

Last edited:
Manual focussing is the way to go, it's what is used in all professional video cameras. (they have 3 rings for iris, zoom and focus that are adjusted manually)

The issue with DSLR lenses that are designed for autofocus is that the focusing ring is tiny and fiddly. You can buy add-ons called follow-focus that make it easier. Or look at an old lens with a bigger focusing ring. Or go old school and put tape on the ring marked in feet.

The BBC Academy have a lot of videos about shooting video such that it edits together well and making sure you have good sound.

The other thing to try is installing Magic Lantern on an SD card. This will give you a proper focus peaking display.

Manual Focus is the way to achieve accurate focusing but you really need Focus Peaking. I use a Black Magic Video Assist to give me focus peaking and and HDMI recording, but a cheaper solution is just a monitor to provide peaking.

If you are used to working with DSLR cameras Focus Peaking is a bit of a revelation as it shows you the actual depth of field of the stopped down image allowing you to manage your depth of field much more creatively.

Back