Newbie wanting to know about lenses :)

Name
Sophie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone!
I was just wondering about lenses as I feel I'm extremely nooby, especially when I try searching on-line as it's all gobbldygooch!
Basically, I have done Photography GCSE and I'm in my second year at A-Level, and I'm getting a bit panicky as I'm wanting to continue to university doing Photographic Journalism, yet my teacher hasn't told me much about any camera's we're using.
Usually in school we use Canon 350-450D's and I'm investing soon in a Canon 550D camera.
Friends have all said a good thing to do is invest in a good 70-300mm lens, as it's good for zooming etc.
The photography I'm wanting to do is mainly things such as gigs, events, protests, anything documentary, but I also like wildlife photography and street so I'm just wondering if you guys could give me any ideas of good lenses to invest in and what they do.
:) Thank you

Last edited:
Id highly reccomend either the Canon 70-200 f/4L USM or if you have a big enough budget, go for the IS version.

Ive had some of the best glass Nikon offered with a price to match, but those two lenses pretty much blow them away for value for money.

You may find a 70-200 a bit too long though in some instances, so a good prime lens like the 50mm 1.8 or 35 f/2 would be a good choice.

You've probably been using the standard lens (called kit lens) that comes with the cameras. Which is an 18-55mm lens. The smaller the number the wider the view and the bigger the number the narrower the view (called field of view) and the closer the subject you are looking at.

Before you invest any money in a longer lens, take a read through some of the basics of telephoto lenses, see link below, then go to a camera shop and ask to try out a lens. Take a look for yourself the effect that the different focal lengths have so you can then make the right choice for you.

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/photography-101-lenses-light-and-magnification

Well my favourite lens - the one I use for about 80% of shots is the 28-135mm IS USM lens.

This is an excellent all round lens with a good zoom ratio and is very sharp.

This is one lens I have never regretted buying.

Also a very good prime lens is the "nifty fifty" the 50mm f1.8 - which can be had on here for as little as £50-£60.00 S/H.

Very good for low light and available light shots.

Why not try the Canon 55-250, it's got a great reputation, it's not expensive & will complement your kit 18-55 lens well, shooting gigs can be tricky, you'll need an f/2.8 lens to get decent shots probably, which gets pricy, unless you get the nifty fifty f/1.8!

As above really, budget will probably dictate what you can get / look at, For zooms, the 55-250IS is a cracker of a lens, esp for the price, complementing the 18-55IS kit lens. If you can stretch, the 70-300IS is very good. And then there is the 70-200 L range.

Good luck on your course (y)

Going from
gigs, events, protests, anything documentary
to
wildlife photography
is a game changer as far as photography is concerned.

Long zoom > 200m are pretty much only useful for the latter (although I know there will be plenty of people who'll take offence at such a sweeping statement ;) ) and for everything else, you'd be better suited with a wide angle - from personal experience I heartily recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. It's got an excellent focal length, will lend itself well to a lot of street/photo journalistic event type photography, is very fast (at 2.8), recognised as being wonderfully sharp, and great value for money at £250ish. Of all the lenses I've had over the years it is one of the most versatile and best value - I was quite peeved when I switched to full frame and realised I couldn't use it any more.

If you're seriously thinking about the photojournalistic style (events & the like), then you should spend some time looking at some of the books on the subject - while they rarely display the lens used, you'll quickly put together an idea of the type of lens used - zoom or wide angle. Pick the type you like and then get a lens to compliment it.

good luck

Thank you all incredibly for your opinions, it's so nice to finally get onto a friendly forum where I get some answers!!

The package I was looking at is a package consisting of a Canon 550D which is the camera I definitely want, it also comes with a 'starter' pack which consists of things like straps and a mini tripod. I get an 18GB SD card, a normal 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens, and all together it costs £802, which is one of the best deals I've seen especially with the extra lens.

I think I'm going to have to do my research and have a browse as I've had so many different reactions and not enough pennies :(

The package I was looking at is a package consisting of a Canon 550D which is the camera I definitely want, it also comes with a 'starter' pack which consists of things like straps and a mini tripod. I get an 18GB SD card, a normal 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens, and all together it costs £802

Where is this deal?

regards...

Thank you all incredibly for your opinions, it's so nice to finally get onto a friendly forum where I get some answers!!

The package I was looking at is a package consisting of a Canon 550D which is the camera I definitely want, it also comes with a 'starter' pack which consists of things like straps and a mini tripod. I get an 18GB SD card, a normal 18-55mm lens and a 75-300mm lens, and all together it costs £802, which is one of the best deals I've seen especially with the extra lens.

I think I'm going to have to do my research and have a browse as I've had so many different reactions and not enough pennies :(

That sounds awfully like one of those "Ebay" deals, where everything with exception of the camera and kit lens is overpriced junk, you'd be better off just buying the basic camera/kit lens and picking up the "extras" as and when you need them, it'll work out a lot cheaper....

That sounds awfully like one of those "Ebay" deals, where everything with exception of the camera and kit lens is overpriced junk, you'd be better off just buying the basic camera/kit lens and picking up the "extras" as and when you need them, it'll work out a lot cheaper....

Could well be. If that's all Canon gear, it's a good price. If it's not, it's not.

What exactly is in that package? Link?

On http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1214.html a 550D with 15-55 IS and 55-250 IS - probably the best 550D-based package for the OP - is around £820. You'd be hard pressed to beat that.

:cautious::cautious::eek::cautious::eek: Nooooooooo !!

E-bay is bad for an outright buy use this opace to find a decent deal I know of one guy here who will do you right I have yet to buy but from what I have heard of him and the responses I have had he is Canon lead and well up to date but also fair woth prices the "deal" you have stated is in fact a HUGE rip off as most of that gear is worthless and you pay double what you would buying it on there asopposed to a shop in fact the moeny they are asking is similar to just the lenses and camera from a shop BUT the shop you have some ability to go back to if not happy etc AND peace of mind

The Canon 550 is an excellent camera, and there's nothing wrong with the 18-55mm as a starter lens, but the 75-300mm is a dog. You probably don't need expensive L glass right now, but don't handicap yourself with such a poor lens. The 70-300mm f4.5 - 5.6 is reasonably affordable and a far better bet, even if you have to wait and save a bit more for it. I would check with Ian Kerr (Kerso) who offers very competitive prices for Canon gear if you want to buy new. You can also buy used on the For Sale forum here, and that might be a good option.

Forget about the rest of the "starter pack". These are a waste of money. All cameras come with "straps" and you don't need a "mini tripod". There are no 18 GB cards, it will be a 16GB. That's fine, if you want a big card, but get a good brand - not a no-name, and watch out for cheap knock offs on EBay. 7 Dayshop are usually good for memory cards. Enjoy yourself!

I've got to agree with Graham here.
When I got my 550D, which was my first DSLR, I went into a shop, said that I'd ordered the 550D with a mem card and carry case off the net for this and that price (which was the truth). I told them that if they could match that price, I'd buy it off of them there and then. It took them 5 minutes to come with an offer. I ended up with a deal I couldn't refuse. The pack I'd ordered off the net included 3rd party carry case and a mem card brand I'd never heard of. In the shop I got a Sandisk Ultra fast something memcard @ 8gb and a Canon camera bag and a bunch of other stuff, all for £680. This was a few months ago, when the 550D was literally impossible to find anywhere, and they could easily have turned me down and sold the camera to the guy behind me, as he wanted one as well, but I got the last one.

I've since gotten the 55-250 IS and the 50mm 1.8, and now I feel the only way I can improve my setup, is to start collecting L glass, but at the moment, I'm very fond of my current collection of cheap glass.
Next on my list is a battery grip with an extra battery, and a redsnapper tripod.

Have to agree with the above, buy the 550 with the kit lens. Buy a decent memory card and look at the telephoto lens you would like. The 55-250IS is a cracker for the price, the 70-300IS is very good, but more expensive. Buy what you need now and save for what you would like :)

Hello everyone :) Thanks for all your replies on the matter, It is helping me :)

Here is the link to the deal: http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-...aveller-bag-and-1year-mack-warranty-7832.html

And don't worry, it's not on e-bay, I've had a bad experience with e-bay and I rarely buy cheapo things off there, never-mind a camera.
I'm saving up anyway so nothing is a set deal, but I know I definitely want the 550D, not too sure about lenses yet, just gotta do some more research.

If I was looking for a telephoto lens at a budget, out of the choice of 55-250 and the 75-300, I would choose the 55-250 as it's much sharper and also it compliments your 18-55 perfectly as the focal length carries on nicely from 55mm instead of having 20mm void. If you dont mind getting a 3rd party lens then Sigma lens are usually are very good value for money.

DigitalRev is a HongKong based company, selling imports that are subject to duty and VAT on top, and without UK warranty.

Suggest 550D plus 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS for £820-ish from here http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod1214.html

Thank you guys for your replies (y)

I'm glad I posted the link on here before buying. I am still saving up and at the moment I am sporting around £350, however I have just got a new job so I'm hoping for more money into the savings pot soon.
The only issue I can find with the more expensive lenses is, it's not the issue of price as much as the issue of time.
As I have less than a year until I (hopefully:D) go to university, I'm wanting to try and get the 550D as soon as possible, hopefully with a camera bag and SD card, so I can start getting used to the camera. However, I'm also wanting lenses as well, which I'd like to get early as I'm starting to build up a portfolio. I obviously know I don't need lenses to get good photographs (although it helps) however, I'd rather get them before University so I'm used to the equipment I have when I get there if that makes any sense?
That's the main issue, I'd want to get the camera as soon as, so I can get good enough pictures for a portfolio. Which definately makes it harder when scouting for deals- especially when I don't understand all the abbreviations and terms :bonk:

Once again, thank you all for your comments, individually they have all helped.

Sophie, if you want to get going with the 550D, get that with the 18-55 IS kit lens. That's plenty to be getting on with and you can add another lens any time.

If money's tight, the 450D is extremely similar and you'll be very hard pressed to tell the difference in the results, unless there's a particular feature on the 550D that you really want. It's about £200 cheaper.

unless there's a particular feature on the 550D that you really want. It's about £200 cheaper.

I'm also wanting the HD Video as I do Film Studies and I also extremely enjoy film-making, and I think with the extra filming the camera will keep me going for a long while :)

I think I might just buy the camera new with the 18-55mm lens, and then maybe ask for a lens for Christmas after doing some more research, or shop around maybe on this forum or even in local shops.

:)

Go for the 500D, Jessops are doing it for £519 with the 18-55mm IS lens and it's got HD video as well. I think it's a lot better value than the 550D

I would go second hand and also pick up a cheap 50mm. Should keep you busy for a while and give you time to find exactly what you like to shoot.

I've got the 550d and I definitely recommend it. I'd suggest, like most have, to get the 550d with the kit lens and play about with that. You'll eventually find out if you do not have enough range or cannot go wide enough. Once you know roughly what range you need, then you can find out which lenses fit the bill, excuse the pun!, and what you can afford. I've got the kit lens, the 50mm 1.8, and the 70-200 F4 L. The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for the price, everyone should have one. You may want to look into a flash to go with the 550d kit, instead of another lens. *I haven't done photo journalism so you might not need the flash, but it's something to keep in mind.

Thank you all. I'm sticking with the 550D and getting the 18-55mm so I can get used to it, however, when I come to thinking about lenses I shall check upon this forum :)

As I don't think it's been said, have you considered 2nd hand?

There's MPB, aperture photographic, misfuds.. and some others, there's a list of used retailers somewhere. Most give I think a 3 or 6 month guarantee.

There's also the forum classifieds too, may be worth a look?

MPB currently have a couple of 450Ds at a little over £300, and something like the 100-300mm at £130. Not sure what either are like, I'm on the Nikon side :D But you could potentially get a lot more for your money, as a thought?

Thank you all. I'm sticking with the 550D and getting the 18-55mm so I can get used to it, however, when I come to thinking about lenses I shall check upon this forum :)

I think you have gone for the best option. Buy the camera that YOU want.

Lenses can be picked up over time and when the need arises.

I'm slowly building my lens collection, often wondered if its better to have a cheaper but larger range of lenses or the best lens of that focal length regardless of the cost.

I'm choosing the latter option, buying the best lens and slowly building them up. You'll always have them to a degree whereas the camera bodies will ultimately become more disposable.

I've found this forum to be unsurpassed in advice given, so when you want your lens be sure to ask on here before you buy(y)

Andy

Just thought I would do a quick update to this forum.
My cousin in America has bought a new camera and GIVEN me his 450D.
I'm extremely grateful, but I'm still saving up for my 550D.
I've decided as he's only giving me the body, I'm going to buy a 55-250mm lens to pair with it. So my kit for a few months will be a Canon 450D and a 55-250mm lens. When I can afford my 550D, I shall then maybe sell the 450D, or even keep it, and I then should have the 550D, 18-55mm kit lens, and the 55-250mm lens. Money in future can then buy me more lenses.
Thanks for all your help! :D

If you can afford to wait until March 2011 and you can get the the NEC Birmingham then my advice would be to do nothing until you have been. Its the largest camera/equipment/accessory show in Europe where you can ask the manufactures and try out whatever you want.

Link

http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/home.htm

Last edited:
Just thought I would do a quick update to this forum.
My cousin in America has bought a new camera and GIVEN me his 450D.
I'm extremely grateful, but I'm still saving up for my 550D.
I've decided as he's only giving me the body, I'm going to buy a 55-250mm lens to pair with it. So my kit for a few months will be a Canon 450D and a 55-250mm lens. When I can afford my 550D, I shall then maybe sell the 450D, or even keep it, and I then should have the 550D, 18-55mm kit lens, and the 55-250mm lens. Money in future can then buy me more lenses.
Thanks for all your help! :D

personally unless you're a video user I'd keep the 450d as its fairly capable and drop the money on nicer lenses, try a tamron 17-50 f2.8 second hand maybe I loved mine on my 450d and 50d

Back