Newbie with a Panasonic HC-X920 computing queries

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I use the above to video my friends gigging in pubs and clubs with their band. So far I have been quite pleased with the quality and sound which has improved on my cameras video functions no end.

Have been trying several software programs, and am currently evaluating Resolve.

One issue I have noticed regardless of which program I use, is that 27 minutes (or 4 Gb) into a recording a new file seems to be created by the camera. When playing this entire Gig back with all files combined, this sees a slight glitch in both the sound and the video, presumably when it changes over. Is there anyway to get around this, either in camera or in software ?

The other thing I am considering is getting an external audio recorder with a view to connecting it direct to the bands mixing desk outputs. Alternatively I might try connecting the camera, but would then lose a lot of walk about options when recording. What sort of equipment / cables would I need for either scenario

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Sounds to me you are recording to an sd card which is formatted using FAT32 which imposes the 4gb file limit. If you use a SDXC card these are formatted using exFAT and don't have the 4gb file size limit. You could also try to format your existing SD card using exFAT and this will overcome the 4gb file limit.

Last edited:
Thanks for that just had a look and it says SDHC. I used the incamera formatting though will that format to exFat with an XC card ?
That's what you should do.
What's the nature of the glitch - does it actually show a split second twice?
That could probably be fixed.
In practice you might be worrying more than need be as doubtful anyone else would notice.

Apparently the incamera formatting is only FAT32 - I tried a format on my PC to exFat, but the camera didnt recognise the card.

I tried online chat with Panasonic to see if theis could be revised, which was a waste of time as they said there was nothing they could do with regard the firmware or anything as it was supposedly a European compliance thing - not convinced on this answer as PC manufacturers / programmers overcame this a few years back.

Its like when listening to a CD and the track hops slightly - well when watching a music video back you do tend to notice the screen freeze for a second and the sound almost halt, then pick up again a few words further into the song

The EU compliance thing relates to import duty on still cameras vs. video recorders, and shouldn't affect your kit as it is a video recorder and Pana should know that!!!

AFAIK import duty is more on video recorders, less on cameras, so the EU require manufacturers of still cameras to restrict their recording capability so they can't perform like video cameras and thus 'avoid' the extra import duty.

Pleased the EU are on the side of consumers!

No-one mention Brexit!!! ;)

Last edited:
But the wiki link suggests it's a hard limit caused by indexing capacity.
Fat32 dates from a time when 1080p was novel and desktop computers shipped with 10GB total storage.

It seems to me that the OP is attempting to record the whole gig in one take hence the problem being experienced with the 4GB limit. It may be better to shoot each song individually and then take some shots of the audience in between these to intersperse in the edit. Alternatively perhaps consider a recorder that can be connected to the camera using the HDMI output which may then allow continuous shooting.

It seems to me that the OP is attempting to record the whole gig in one take hence the problem being experienced with the 4GB limit. It may be better to shoot each song individually and then take some shots of the audience in between these to intersperse in the edit. Alternatively perhaps consider a recorder that can be connected to the camera using the HDMI output which may then allow continuous shooting.

Thats a good idea - I was thinking of using an external sound recorder to try and help improve quality of audio, so that could be continuous and as you said shots interspersed of the audience or even stills could be a solution - thanks for that

Back