Beginner Newbie with an RX100 VI

Name
Richard Leishman
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

Since I started flying paramotor a few years ago I have been very keen to take photos of my experiences for sharing and memories. Shortly after completing training, I spent some time researching the best camera to use while flying and came to the conclusion that the Sony RX100 VI was the perfect fit for me.

In the two years owning the camera with very little knowledge of photography, I have taken over 2500 photos. I would love to learn more about how I can get the most out of the camera while also keeping it simple (I am supposed to be focussing on flying). Shooting in raw, at first I had the camera set to auto with burst mode enabled. After I would pick the least blurry photo out of the bunch inside lightroom and then touch up. Recently I have switched to aperture mode and make minor adjustments.

The number one issue I am facing currently is keeping the entirety of my shot in focus. My farther explained that what I may be having an issue with is bokeh.

I'll attach a few examples of the photos I have been taking.

DSC04973.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

DSC02585.jpg

Thanks for reading and any support :)

If your shots aren't in focus, either you are not using a small enough aperture (try f/8 or more), or you are suffering from camera shake. If you could post the exit data of one of your images, it would help. Bokeh is just a posh word for usually deliberately blurred areas of a photo.

Thank you, does this help? This is the EXIF for the first picture. The camera does shake, hence why I use burst. It is very hard to keep it stable.

unknown.png

Ok, you are getting a shutter speed of 1/250 which is fine for hand held photography, but not for moving targets, so if the camera is swinging around rapidly, I'd try and aim for 1/1000 or more. Your iso is low, so you could try bumping it up which will help with the shutter speed. I don't know how well your camera performs at higher iso. If your images are too noisy, you've overdone it, but you should be ok up to 1600. Finally, try setting the aperture at f/8 if possible for a greater depth of field. You will also get the best results in good bright light.

Agree on bumping up the shutter speed (and consequently the ISO). Is there any way of setting the shutter speed and aperture manually, but enabling auto ISO? That way the ISO will increase as required for the light levels, but no more than that. Alternatively stick it in shutter priority mode at 1/1000. I wouldn't worry too much about aperture, the depth of field is pretty big on 1" sensors.

Agree on bumping up the shutter speed (and consequently the ISO). Is there any way of setting the shutter speed and aperture manually, but enabling auto ISO? That way the ISO will increase as required for the light levels, but no more than that. Alternatively stick it in shutter priority mode at 1/1000. I wouldn't worry too much about aperture, the depth of field is pretty big on 1" sensors.
Thank you, Just playing with the camera now. I believe I can set the camera into shutter mode, which seems to choose the best iso it can based on the shutter speed I have manually set. I will try it in the air next :)

For reference, The RX100 has full manual mode (and everything else in between).

You can also set minimum/maximum ISO if you wish to.

Hope that helps.

Back