Newbie with pics from Sheprith Wildlife Park

Edit My Images
No
Hello,

My first post in these forums! I have been shooting on an SLR since September last year and would appreciate people's critical feedback on these that were taken Monday.

Thanks,

James.

DSC_0913-1.jpg

DSC_0927-1.jpg

DSC_0870-1.jpg

DSC_0739-1.jpg

DSC_0764-1.jpg

Last edited:
1 & 2 these two shots are quite similar. there are two problems with the images the main subject is underexposed and the bokeh in the background looks really strange, I would have been tempted to do spot or centre weighted metering to get correct exsposure on the animal and let the background be overexsposed as its not adding anything to the photo.

3 Its quite nice, I think the image could be sharper, again the light isn't great

4 I think this photo is the best of the bunch, Again you are being plagued with that weird bokeh anf there is a strange artifact in the bottom right hand side of the image which I presume is an out of focus fence?

5 This would be a brillant photograph if there wasn't an ugly tyre in the sence! What where they thinking puting in in the cage?

Hope that helps

Stuart

Hi (and welcome)
Congrats on your first post here.

They are a nice set of zoo shots. I can appreciate the difficulty of low light and trying to shoot through wire mesh.

I prefer the expression in the second of the deer, although it is very tightly cropped for my liking. The DOF is very good, and the back lighting around the ear is lovely. Not a lot you can do in these situations for light, but maybe the top of the face could be lightened slightly with PP if you have the facility.

The macaws are full of character & colour but again, a cropped a bit tight for me.

The yawning tiger is my favourite. All of the emphasis is on the teeth and you've managed to subdue the mesh great. Definitely right place, right time.

The last is a nice shot, bur the tyre draws the attention away from the tiger too much.

Hope this helps.
Look forward to seeing more.:)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the great feedback and sorry I haven’t replied sooner I have been away.

Stu – the reason that bokeh looks poor in nearly all the shots is the cage. I tried to take as many as possible from a hill at 200mm but the top of the wire can still be seen and hence the weird effects. I am currently reading D90 for Dummies but can you explain what spot or centred weighted metering is? Is there anything I can do in post processing to improve the exposure on the dear?

Loopy – I agree with comments about the tight cropping. I normally like a bit more of the frame but I was trying to cut out the cage and remove the pook bokeh as much as possible. What is a PP facility?

Agree with both of you that its so annoying to have the tyre there!

Cheers,

James.

Hi James

By default your camera will be set to matrix metering and this is best for 90% of the photos you will take, the Camera looks at the whole seen and calculates the optium exsposure.

If you imagine taking a photogarph of somebody underneath one street lamp and they are srounded in darkness. in matrix metering the camera will try to over exspose the person in an attempt to pull some information out of the darkness. (if there is any)

For this situation you want to use either Centre weight in which the camera just looks and the centre 35% of the image, or spot with it look at a tiny bit of the screen,

Hope that helps

Stuart

Back