Beginner Newbie

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. Just got my first "proper" camera, a second hand Nikon D5600 with 18 to 55mm lens. . Always wanted to try my hand at photography but for some reason felt daft, confidence issues .
Take photos in my phone and had a few comments on how I manage to be in the right place at the right time. Love landscapes as keen hillwalker so hopefully you can all help me master the art of taking a stunning landscape photo.

Welcome to the forum Tony, have fun and let’s see some pics :)

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum!

I've been taking photos for nearly 50 years, and I still feel self-conscious when there are people around. I hardly ever take pictures of people (except when my son was young). I often find that when I'm out taking landscapes and someone appears, I'll feel tempted to pack up and move on.

But if I persist, often they are lovely and have a bit of a chat. I can't recall one person ever saying anything unpleasant.

Perhaps if you just just make an effort to go somewhere you think will be quiet with your camera and make yourself use it - you may find it's not so bad.

Then the bad news... most of the stunning landscape shots (so, not mine!) are taken after getting up at silly o'clock, walking in the dark with a headtorch, carrying a tripod and several kilos of equipment.

Finally, there's nothing actually bad about taking photos with your phone, so if that's what you need to do, go for it. But there are some things a phone can't do, so if you like the shallow depth of field of a wide aperture lens, or slow shutter speed movement, make the effort with the camera.

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum!

I've been taking photos for nearly 50 years, and I still feel self-conscious when there are people around. I hardly ever take pictures of people (except when my son was young). I often find that when I'm out taking landscapes and someone appears, I'll feel tempted to pack up and move on.

But if I persist, often they are lovely and have a bit of a chat. I can't recall one person ever saying anything unpleasant.

Perhaps if you just just make an effort to go somewhere you think will be quiet with your camera and make yourself use it - you may find it's not so bad.

Then the bad news... most of the stunning landscape shots (so, not mine!) are taken after getting up at silly o'clock, walking in the dark with a headtorch, carrying a tripod and several kilos of equipment.

Finally, there's nothing actually bad about taking photos with your phone, so if that's what you need to do, go for it. But there are some things a phone can't do, so if you like the shallow depth of field of a wide aperture lens, or slow shutter speed movement, make the effort with the camera.
Thanks mate . Yeah in my head as I was in Budapest and noticed some guys waiting for sunset to get photos of the parliament building across the river and I thought, I think that's soooo cool so I've decided to try and not think about it.

Yes no fear of a very early morning and hike up a hill. Done it for years and wish I had a decent camera at times as the phone images never seem to capture what I see.

Any tips on where to start for a decent landscape photo appriciated

Back