Newborn Photography HELP!!!

Ihave lightroom and im trying to download bridge now so hopefully this will work!

Im never shooting in raw again lol this has put me off it for life lol
If you have Lightroom, you're going to have to embrace it. It's an important part of your future. From now on, you download in Lightroom, delete in Lightroom, organise in Lightroom, and most of your processing is done in Lightroom too.

I really struggle editing on lightroom lol I'm just more comfortable in photoshop but i suppose i know it well and lightroom i don't know at all! I need to figure out this camera raw thing it's driving me nuts!

I really struggle editing on lightroom lol I'm just more comfortable in photoshop but i suppose i know it well and lightroom i don't know at all! I need to figure out this camera raw thing it's driving me nuts!

Thats becasue lightroom is not for editing. As Phil said, this is the starting poiunt of the workflow. This is the place to organise and cull the images. This is the place to do basic processing. Yes you can do basic edits but lightroom is a very important part of any workflow.

Last edited:
I think i need to do some more reading up on lightroom, I just never understand the point, you can do so much in photoshop I just need to get used to it! Now ive got bridge ill be fine shooting in raw it's working fine now so all is ok lol

[edit].. replied to wrong post... ignore.

Last edited:
I used to do 90% of my editing in photoshop, since learning how to use lightroom I very rarely use photoshop.

Viewing, organising and minor editing is very easy in lightroom and just resize on export.

You can do the same minor editing in bridge I believe but I've never been a fan personally ( I never really stuck with it )

As annoying as he can be, I would wholeheartedly recommend the latest version of the Scott Kelby series of Lightroom books. A great investment to help you get your head around Lightroom which is invaluable in any serious photographers workflow.

I've started to get the hang of lightroom, ive been watching a few videos on it so thanks for the tip mark, i do need to get into the habit of using it i think its just the lay out I don't like, photoshops lay out if super clear and i know where everything is, will just take some getting used to!

thanks Kris,never heard of these so I'll have a look, online might be my best bet of finding them so thanks for that!

Last edited:
I've started to get the hang of lightroom, ive been watching a few videos on it so thanks for the tip mark, i do need to get into the habit of using it i think its just the lay out I don't like, photoshops lay out if super clear and i know where everything is, will just take some getting used to!

thanks Kris,never heard of these so I'll have a look, online might be my best bet of finding them so thanks for that!

The beauty of the Kelby series is that he provides a good workflow and many little tips in chapters you can navigate back to if you forget something, best £20 spent for LR.

aaaaah thanks for the video, need to have a watch of that and then i can try and get an image edited on it!!

and thanks Kris, i will try and get my hands on them!

hey guys, not sure anyone will be awake reading this but I did the photoshoot today I mentioned, two children girl and boy got some really nice photos this one is my favourite thats been edited (so far!) I just love it and i think its sharp...im hoping it's the sharpness you guys were telling me I needed. Really worked hard with everything I learnt recently! Would love some feedback good or bad!:)View attachment 34982 View attachment 34983

This is ten times better than your earlier shots. Well done.

EDIT: Prefer the B&W.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate the editing powers of Lightroom - basic editing??? If that's all you're managing to get out of it, then you're not using it right. I do most of my editing in LR, only moving into PS for textures and canvas extensions. It will never be Photoshop, it's not meant to be... but seriously... like I said.. don't underestimate it.

so lightroom is for editing? Ah im so confused now lol! I've bought an E-book with a full run down on it so I can learn to get to grips and get that hang of it and then ill make sure I start using it. Thanks for letting me know about light room and I think i like the black and white the best!

so lightroom is for editing? Ah im so confused now lol! I've bought an E-book with a full run down on it so I can learn to get to grips and get that hang of it and then ill make sure I start using it. Thanks for letting me know about light room and I think i like the black and white the best!

Lightroom is absolutely for editing. I can't believe anyone offering advice to a noob would say otherwise to be honest.

These videos are excellent for both PS and Lightroom tutorials.

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html

First off just wanted to say good luck!! I have no idea about light room either (newbie to) and prefer photoshop but I plan on changing that soon. Youtube really is a godsent ~ I know you only want to do newborn and I am the same but with children's portraits but don't let that limit your learning. I've been watching all sorts of videos from weddings to couple shoots and of course portraits and just being able to watch photographers in action you will pick up no end of tips on lighting and such.

I am sorry to say that they are not. Number one is very soft

I have to agree that the toy is distracting. Having family toys in the photos is great. Just make sure they work for the shot or get rid of it. As a photographer it is on us to tell parents what will work and wont wont so if you cant make it work then dont use it.

Hate to be the newbie quoting the pro but I don't agree with this. If a customer asks you a request surely it's your job to make it work? At end day isn't the bottom line is the customer is happy? If I took a family heirloom teddy to a photo shoot and the photographer point blank refused to use it no matter how good the photos were I wouldn't go back again.

At end day isn't the bottom line is the customer is happy?

Oh boy... how many times has this been beaten to a pulp?! lol! (nothing directed at you, Cally... it's just I remember a rather HUGE debate about this)...

There certainly is something to be said about the 'customer happy' thing... however, the customer is pretty much ALWAYS going to love just about ANY picture of their own child... regardless of whether (for example) the eyes are in focus or not.

Thankyou Cally, you all might be a little bit shocked but after this whole learning curve, forcing myself to do and try new things and actually leaving the house with my camera i'm very interested in all kinds of photography (not so much landscape or wild life) but I really want to get experiance with it all. Especially fashion and beauty photography. Over the top make up to advertise etc, just because of my interest in both beauty and photography I think i would find it very interesting.

However, i'm just going slow taking each and every opportunity and trying all different things. I know im improving (some might disagree) but my knowledge is higher, I'm familiar with many more terms but still have alot to learn!:)

First off just wanted to say good luck!! I have no idea about light room either (newbie to) and prefer photoshop but I plan on changing that soon. Youtube really is a godsent ~ I know you only want to do newborn and I am the same but with children's portraits but don't let that limit your learning. I've been watching all sorts of videos from weddings to couple shoots and of course portraits and just being able to watch photographers in action you will pick up no end of tips on lighting and such.

Hate to be the newbie quoting the pro but I don't agree with this. If a customer asks you a request surely it's your job to make it work? At end day isn't the bottom line is the customer is happy? If I took a family heirloom teddy to a photo shoot and the photographer point blank refused to use it no matter how good the photos were I wouldn't go back again.

To be fair that would be down to you to ask about before hand. If the photographers happy to do it then great. If not, I'm sure there would be plenty that would be happy to do it.

Last edited:
Let's get some 'perspective'. If a customer wants an image with the heirloom teddy, it's the pro's job to get one. That doesn't remotely come close to plonking the baby and the teddy in the same shot. it means using posing skills that the OP doesn't have. And it might be that even that the photographer suggests a more appropriate age for the images to be taken.

But it never means the pro should just 'do it anyway no matter how badly because the customer is always right'. A pro wouldn't 'point blank refuse' because if they did, it'd be unprofessional - ergo - they're not a pro, they might feasibly not be doing it - but that's not the same as a point blank refusal. A professional people photographer plays people better than that.

Lol that's okay!
I can't beleive how much im grown since you all give me heaps of critique on my first ever shots (correct critique that wasn't a negative!)
and I am so please to say that i'm trying new things and loving it!

Let's get some 'perspective'. If a customer wants an image with the heirloom teddy, it's the pro's job to get one.

But it never means the pro should just 'do it anyway no matter how badly because the customer is always right'. A pro wouldn't 'point blank refuse' because if they did, it'd be unprofessional - ergo - they're not a pro, they might feasibly not be doing it - but that's not the same as a point blank refusal. A professional people photographer plays people better than that.

I just wanted to add that I do agree with this as you've touched the underlining point I was making, A pro photographer would exhaust all methods to make it work because end day you are getting paid by this customer and turning them down for wanting a teddy in a photo seemed a bit harsh to me, if they really couldn't make it work then I guess you would have to turn down the job but hey ho.

It sounds like the customer happy is a touchy subject on this forums so I'll leave it their but hey I run a business so the customer is always right thing is what I live by even if you grit a few teeth down along the way...o_O

It sounds like the customer happy is a touchy subject on this forums so I'll leave it their but hey I run a business so the customer is always right thing is what I live by even if you grit a few teeth down along the way...o_O
I guess we're either 'longer in the tooth' or you've been lucky with the 'bad' customers. But what I can categorically tell you hand on heart is that the customer is definitely not always right. And most businesses understand that bending over for the wrong customer can seriously shaft your business.

I didnt say point blank refuse. However as the profesional it is the photographers job to advise what will work and what will not. Simply plonking a baby next to a teddy becasue "the customer asked for it" is just stupid. Also saying make it work is great however some things just dont work. Was this one of them? posssibly not as i have seen very similar teddys being used in a way that works great however that is not always the case. I have been asked for many requests from customers i new wouldnt work, i dont out right refuse, i offer alternatives. I had a client only a couple of weeks ago ask me to put a newborn in a blender because he is a chef, The request in my opinion was a terrible one (not to mention some safty issues). I offered some alternative set ideas untill we found something that would not only work but that the client would be happy with. That advice is part of the service they are paying for.

At the stage the OP is at she will not be capable of making everything work. And again if you cant make it work now is the stage to simply say "this is not going to work". By all means take a couple of shots but those are not the shots to submit for review from peers.

The reailty is the customer is not always right. If that was true why would they be hiring a profesional. That does not mean you are saying NO to them. I dont like ever saying No to a customer. offering an alternative is very different and will result in a better product and service.

For those who have jumped on my comment about that lightroom is not for editing. Maybe fully read what i have said befroe jumping on a tiny part of my comment for the sake of a pointleess petty argument. Seriously you lot love to disagree for hell of it without even fully understanding what you are reading, or just outright refusing to take in anythign iother that the parts you want to.

I said it is not an editing programme becasue it is not. Lightroom is primarily a data base, and software for prosessing large volumes of RAW files. It is an image management tool. The great thing about this is it is for many (as i clealry said before) a full workflow sollution, this workflow does including image processing and basic ( yes BASIC) editing however that does not make it an editing package. Image managment and workflow includes many aspects . The obvious benifit to lightroom from an editing perspective is it is nondestructive

The sort of edits it is capable of are infact pretty basic, however the sort of edits most of us use in day to day are basic anyone be it in photoshop or lightroom. Lightroom in my opinion is more than capable of dealing with 90% of edits however it is still limited and more advance image editing should at this stage (again in my opinion) be done in photoshop which is an image editor rather than an image managment tool.

Andy and Bethy, perhaps you need to discuss this privately and agree to disagree with each other on whatever it is. Thanks guys,

I am not even sure we are disagreeing which is why i am a little confused when being called a t***. I dont mind if poeple dont like me but only a coward talks behind someones back.

I am not even sure we are disagreeing which is why i am a little confused when being called a t***. I dont mind if poeple dont like me but only a coward talks behind someones back.

don't worry mate , we'll always call you a twit (or similar) to your face ;) :hug:

by the way I think the disagreement is more of a misunderstanding - what you call basic processing, others are calling editing , I remember when Andy Rouse was on the original design team for LR - before adobe bought it (and it wasnt called LR at the time) the concept was definitely as you describe a browser and converter with basic processing ability.

That was my point before people starting to insult me (and talk about me), I don't even think we are disagreeing yes some have jumped on it (mainly for a chance to disagree with me for the hell of it as it is the usual suspects)

I have been called much worse, and that is just from my wife.

When you call me worse I tend to say thank you. As I known it is said with love ha

I think it's the matter-of-fact way you put it Andy....."I said it is not an editing programme becasue it is not"

I don't know anyone, of the hundreds of photographers I know and work with, who would agree with that statement. You go on (and if I'm honest, on a bit more) about how Lightroom is this and that, and it is for this but not for that.... To be honest mate it just sounds like you're on a bit of a pointless rant.

Totally get that you'd be hacked off reading what you have done though. I would be too.

Again @UaeExile it seems you have not actually read nor understood what i have said. It also seems you are not actually disagreeing with me yet you are writing as if you are. I don't really see how I have gone on and on especially when I have not even logged on for about 2 weeks. I am not saying Lightroom can't be used for anything. But it is not for editing, not exclusively anyway. I have simply said Lightroom is for full workflow, file management and processing. This does not make it an editing tool, in fact it makes it much more than an editing tool as it was designed to be. While it is ( for a fact) limited in its editing capabilities when compared to photoshops advanced editing capabilities I have never said you can not edit on Lightroom and I myself do 90% of my processing in Lightroom for weddings when I have a large number of files. I am not on any pointless rant, what is pointless is people disagreeing with me for the point of disagreeing when in fact I have not said anything controversial, It seems I have not actually said anything anyone disagrees with however it is being turned into something it is not.

Like I said I am not hacked off by what I read. I am hacked off that Beth is to much of a coward to say it to me and even more of a a coward to follow it through once caught out. I can not respect that. And the simple fact that she disagrees with me ( even though I am not sure she does) makes we a t***. Beth has had a problem with me for a while and simply likes to disagree with me... Even when she doesn't which is why i have accused her of flaming in the past, which yet again she has done. She is a moron and nothing less, the difference is I do not try and hide that in PMs only to be too stupid to see that it is a post. I will say it as I see it.

Last edited:
Again @UaeExile it seems you have not actually read nor understood what i have said

I don't think people are disagreeing with you for the point of disagreeing. I'm certainly not.

You said Lightroom wasn't for editing. But... I use it to edit. You use it to edit. Most photographers I know use it to edit. Adobe call it editing software.

This is a very bizarre conversation :D

No need to reply to this Andy. We're clearly on different pages and debating something that ultimately makes no difference to either of us.

That's my point we are not on Different pages. I have not said you can not edit in Lightroom. I have said that Lightroom is for much more than editing and is for full workflow. I am not sure what is confusing about that.

I don't think people are disagreeing with you for the point of disagreeing. I'm certainly not.

You said Lightroom wasn't for editing. But... I use it to edit. You use it to edit. Most photographers I know use it to edit. Adobe call it editing software.

This is a very bizarre conversation :D

No need to reply to this Andy. We're clearly on different pages and debating something that ultimately makes no difference to either of us.

I think he mean it isnt 'only' for editting

If you thin of Photoshop or Paintshop pro or GIMP - they are editting packages, because they don't do anything else - LR isnt an Editting package per se because it has other functions (which are or at least were its main purpose)

Exactly Pete. Lightroom has loads of features and processing is a very small part of what it does. The editing capabilities are enough for what most of us do in day to day but the day to day use goes well beyound that and the full workflow capabilities are whatb makes it great. Because it's main aim is workflow of course it is not as powerful as some of the dedicated editing tools but as it is not an editing package this is to be expected.

Back