Beginner Newborn photography lenses

Name
STEFANA BURSUC
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,
I am looking for a lens or 2 for nikon750 for newborn photography.
I did around 10 sessions with my crop camera and now decided to switch to full.
My budget would be around 1000€ because I am still at the beginning and don't want to invest a fortune.
A lot of suggestions i've had so far nclude:
sigma 50mm 1.4 or nikon 50mm 1.8
85mm 1.8
24-120 f4
100mm 2.8
I am thinking about a 50mm sigma or nikon and a 105mm sigma
Would appreciate a feedback on these ones and even new suggestions.
Thanks

Last edited:
I had a nikon 50mm f1.4 (the older version) on a d300. Found it was a nice lens.

If you are unsure, can you find a place to rent from and a willing subject to test them before investing money ?
Or a friendly photographer with one or two of the lenses who wouldn't mind sharing the lens - difficult in these times...

105mm macro might give you the option of macro shots and portrait shots (I still have my nikkor - older lens again, but I believe the newer ones have smoother af )

Any of those lenses would do the job, but my preference would be the 85.

If you're a beginner, then I would also advise that you stay well clear of shooting infants until you've gained more experience. Babies are very easy to photograph when they're asleep and cute looking, but when they wake up grumpy you've got a squealing, bad-tempered bundle of snot, sh*t and puke - none of which is very nice to deal with when they're your own let alone someone else's. :eek:

Good luck.

Any of those lenses would do the job, but my preference would be the 85.

If you're a beginner, then I would also advise that you stay well clear of shooting infants until you've gained more experience. Babies are very easy to photograph when they're asleep and cute looking, but when they wake up grumpy you've got a squealing, bad-tempered bundle of snot, sh*t and puke - none of which is very nice to deal with when they're your own let alone someone else's. :eek:

Good luck.
Yes I know what you mean. I've been doing newborn with my niece. Several sessions already but yes, it's still difficult.
But I have some experience in it, more or less.
Thank you for your response!

Reactions: Sky
Assuming you'll be shooting in a variety of settings, would it not make sense to get a general purpose zoom (24-105 or similar) to give you some physical leeway where you're shooting? You'd have more than enough IQ with your full frame sensor to allow for a bit of cropping if needed.

Is the 100mm f2.8 a macro?

I ask because macro lenses sometimes aren't the fastest focusing of lenses but that may not be an issue with a newborn as much as it could be with a fast moving toddler.

If it's not a macro... or it is a fast focusing macro just ignore me :D

I would suggest an 85mm would suit your needs well :)

Les

With that budget I'd look for a used sigma ART 50 f1.4 and a 100 macro. 50 for when you need a wider perspective and 100 when you want to get in closer without distorting features due to lens design.

I'd choose an ART 50 for the rendering - Nikon don't make anything comparable in F mount. While a 24-105 zoom would cover these ranges, image rendering will not be anywhere near as pleasant, nor will it offer adequate depth of field control.

Back