Newborn shoot - 10 days old

Name
Lauren
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

thought it was about time I posted some more images up here! Here are a few from a newborn session I did today.

1)
Kieran-1.jpg

2) I think this is my favourite
Kieran-2.jpg

3)
Kieran-3.jpg

4) don't normally include this kind of shot but this baby somehow managed to look cute while showing disapproval, I liked the wrinkles on his back :)
Kieran-4.jpg

5)
Kieran-5.jpg

6) trying out my new macro lens :)
Kieran-6.jpg

Would love to hear your thoughts,

thanks,

Lauren :D

PS: apologies for the majassive watermark, I think I chose the wrong one when exporting from LR :bonk:

i know totaly nothing about taking these sorts of pictures i love them i really like the first one not seen one like that before and the last again another one i have not seen before but i have to say No 5 is a blinking fantasic image love it

I like number 3 Lauren, it is very difficult with newborns, because they do not open their eyes.
I tried shooting some images today, and no matter what - matchsticks, superglue, the little so and so would not open his eyes.;):LOL:

#3 for me, its a cracking shot.

#6 I am not so sure about, I personally don't think 'up the nose' shots work.

I think they are all superb! No3 epecially :)

I love these, Lauren. The only thing that slightly spoils them is the pixilated watermark.

Lovely set, especially 2 and 5. Also not keen on the 'up the nose' shots, but love the rest of them.

Thanks everyone for the comments, really appreciate them.

I like number 3 Lauren, it is very difficult with newborns, because they do not open their eyes.
I tried shooting some images today, and no matter what - matchsticks, superglue, the little so and so would not open his eyes.;):LOL:

:LOL: this was a very sleepy baby, but I did get some shots of him with his eyes open. Didn't even notice I chose all sleepy ones to put up here. I think I'm drawn to the sleepy ones because they're only like this for a couple of weeks, after that you have trouble getting them to sleep at all :)

ChrisH said:
Cattle prod is supposed to work :D

haha, I don't know if I want to get that kind of reputation!

Harvey_nikon said:
#6 I am not so sure about, I personally don't think 'up the nose' shots work.
BooBear said:
Also not keen on the 'up the nose' shots, but love the rest of them.

Thanks guys, wasn't sure about those myself, but thought I'd put them in as something a bit different. Doubt they'll end up on anyone's wall! ;)

The23rdman said:
The only thing that slightly spoils them is the pixilated watermark.

Yep, my mistake. It was far too late last night to export and upload them again :)

Cheers,
Lauren

Lovely shots! Love the fabric (not to self, go get some more interesting stuff for my next shoot).

What lens did you use? Natural light?

I'm impressed with #5, I can never find a baby that wants to stay in that position for too long - much rather stretch the legs out!

Lovely shots! Love the fabric (not to self, go get some more interesting stuff for my next shoot).

What lens did you use? Natural light?

Thanks Ruth, I've got quite a collection of blankets now! You can never have too many colours :)

Yes these are all natural light, from a North-facing window a couple of feet away. The close-ups were using the 100L macro, the shots from above were the 24-70mm at 50mm (I forgot my 50mm prime :bonk:) and the full body shot was using the 85mm f1.8.

I'm impressed with #5, I can never find a baby that wants to stay in that position for too long - much rather stretch the legs out!

It took a couple of hours to get him to sleep in this position! Once he was gone he was totally out for the count though, no problem at all. If you catch them in the first 7-10 days they'll stay curled up. I normally prefer to have their hands and feet untucked but he was not letting them out :)

Really nice shots(y) #3 is my favourite.

I did my first newborn shoot on Saturday of my friends 2 week old. It was certainly an experience as she didn't really want to play ball. Got a few half decent images though and she's coming back for more this weekend.

My kitchen made a pretty good studio ;) I'll post some up when I get home this evening.

PS I'm using throws from IKEA. Loads of choice and nice and cheap.

Lovely set- really good!! I tried this for a friend recently and had little joy due to grumpy baby/parents, bad light, and visitors...

What is the processing on 2 by the way? it works really well..

:plus1: very nice, number 3 is a great shot.

Were these all natural lighting? If not I would like to know the setup used.

Dan

:plus1: very nice, number 3 is a great shot.

Dan

Already stated above all natural lighting in front of a north facing window.

Like them all especially #3.

PS I'm using throws from IKEA. Loads of choice and nice and cheap.

Yep, thumbs up for IKEA, BHS also good (y)

Darthchaffinch said:
I tried this for a friend recently and had little joy due to grumpy baby/parents, bad light, and visitors...

Oh no, I've had some grumpy babies! I find once they get past 2 weeks the risk of colic and other ailments goes up so much, I always try to get them in the first 10 days. Even if it takes three hours, they can usually be pacified :)

ShawWellPete said:
What is the processing on 2 by the way? it works really well..

Thanks! It's just processed in Lightroom, desaturated to -30, vibrance +14. Then split toning with yellow in the highlights, blue in the shadows. Use curves to lift the shadows away from the black point.

dan_yorkshire said:

Yes, natural light. I make sure the baby is just off to the side of the window, and at an angle to it, 45 degrees for most shots, parallel to the window for the shots from above. I like to get some shadows in the face, if you shoot with the window directly behind you they can end up a bit flat.

Thanks again everyone :)

love them all!

I have some new born twins to do in a few weeks, never done them that young before so these are really inspirational pictures for me. Hope I can get some that look this good!

Excellent. Adorable baby! I had to go see the rest on your blog, and ended up watching the slideshow. I really love the one at 00:28, where the mouth is puckered up. :)

What a lovely set - like 1 but my favourite two are 3 and 5, really stunning. Fantastic set and bet parents will be very happy.

What a lovely baby & lovely set. #2,3 & 5 are stunning!

I think these are really excellent. Often these type of shoots can end up being a bit cheesy imo but you have avoided that very well.

No 2 is great and personally I like the macro shot too. 5 is very striking also.

what kit did you use for these too pls LAuren?

Hi James,

these were all taken on a 5D Mk2. Head shots and close-ups with 100L macro, full body shots with 85mm f1.8 and shots from above with 24-70L at 50mm. Apertures generally 1.8-3.2, 5-5.6 for macro shots. ISO 1250 because it wasn't the brightest of days!

(Plus a beanbag and several blankets :))

Great job, Lauren. The lighting is just perfection and your posing is great. I am a fan of sleepy newborns too, but have had a run of wide awake ones recently. I prefer them sleepy because they just have no control over their limbs while awake and it's hard to pose them and even harder to get eye contact.

Anyway, really lovely set of pics, my favourite is the one with the wee sleepy smile!

H xox

PS I am not too far from you *WAVES* !

Great set for me. Pictures 1, 4 & 5 all day!!! (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
#5 is my favorite. #1 - I would prefer to see both tiny little feet in frame :) ALL photos are just PRECIOUS :) Thanks for sharing.
So after age of 10d - what is the "next best age" to take photos of babies? I read on some other thread that 1m is a big NO :)

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... too too precious!

love number 2...and 3... and 4....

and 1 and 5

not so sure about 6....

parents must have been delighted! You did such a great shoot :) LUVERLY!

Last edited:
Can I ask, how do you "find" your babies? lol.... sounds weird asking that! Iv done some friends kids but really want to start doing more....

So after age of 10d - what is the "next best age" to take photos of babies? I read on some other thread that 1m is a big NO :)

The cynic in me says whatever age the client's baby is! :LOL: But realistically, yes, around the 1 month mark is a nightmare. I've had a couple that age and colic and baby acne are a real problem. Also they're too old to sleep but too young to hold their head up, not great for posing.

The major problems are usually gone by 3 months. I'd say if I had a baby I'd probably want to document them at 1 week, 3 months, 6 months and 12 months. They'd be so different at all of those stages.

Azure said:
parents must have been delighted! You did such a great shoot LUVERLY!

I've only spoken to the grandparents (who organised the photoshoot), but yes, I think they love them :)

missemanuel said:
Can I ask, how do you "find" your babies? lol.... sounds weird asking that! Iv done some friends kids but really want to start doing more....

Well I've just started making arrangements to do some networking with local mother and baby groups, but so far all of my babies have come from people on twitter, old work colleagues etc. Putting shouts out on twitter was a great way to build my portfolio and I think it'll remain a good way to attract customers. I need to think carefully about how to get more newborns, because you really need to get to pregnant mothers, I haven't quite worked that out yet :shrug: any advice appreciated!

Well I've just started making arrangements to do some networking with local mother and baby groups, but so far all of my babies have come from people on twitter, old work colleagues etc. Putting shouts out on twitter was a great way to build my portfolio and I think it'll remain a good way to attract customers. I need to think carefully about how to get more newborns, because you really need to get to pregnant mothers, I haven't quite worked that out yet :shrug: any advice appreciated![/QUOTE]

Thanks,(y) yer i think i may look at making up some leaflets doing a drop, i live in toddlerville but just feel wrong stopping mums on the street and asking....

What is you? twitter addy, ill add you :)

Back