Newborn Stand (Update with completed stand)

It's because the Americans use imperial sizes - 3/4" is 19mm, the closest pipe you'll get here (readily available) is 22mm.

Thankyou both, and hi Steve I hope you are well (y)

I had a quote from a plumbing firm and that was £58 for all the parts and then if I want cutting they charge £8.40 on top and I don't think this even includes postage. Which to me seems quite pricey for a bit of pipe!

I found some on Wickes for 99p which was reduced, and I emailed them asking for some help finding the correct joints to match, well they seem to have remobved the 99p pipe and I still haven't had a reply!

Yeah I realised their sizing was different to ours, which makes it even more confusing for me! :LOL:

Hey you - all well here thanks !
The difference between the wickes stuff and proper overflow is that the wickes stuff is likely to be thinner and more brittle..

You could try screwfix -

http://www.screwfix.com/p/overflow-...tracking url&gclid=CLHnyubumbQCFePHtAodEm8AFQ

Or Ray Grahams -

http://www.raygrahams.com/products/...4-215mm.aspx?gclid=CISVkunumbQCFbMbtAodtjYAEw

Cutting it is so easy - a junior hacksaw or a pipe cutter -

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/1508...ixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

It will take minutes to cut and fit together.
As for the price you quote - you must need an awful lot of fittings to reach £58 !

Glad to hear it Steve :D I hope you are all set for Christmas! Funnily enough I am all done and ready to go this year! :LOL:

Thankyou for the links, I will take a look at those. I had a phone call back from Wickes today and they have everything apart from these:

http://shop.dpsbargainbasement.com/3-4-Furniture-Grade-3-Way-Corner-PVC-Fitting-Connector-075-3W.htm

So I just need to find one of these in the UK and I will order the rest from Wickes. You are right they probably will be better quality, but as I am only going to clamp one blanket to it at a time I think it will be good enough for me!

Thankyou for the help ;)

It has and internal Dimension of 19mm, you would need to ascertain the external dimension as it is to fit inside a 21mm pipe

get down to a plumbers merchant in your area- they'll see you right and you could get hands on with the fittings to see if they suit your purpose would be my advice

Les :D

Thankyou very much Les :D

I have emailed the company selling the fitting I am after and they tell me it won't fit? They said it is designed for their poles (metal) , but I don't know if they are just telling me this to get me to buy something I don't want! :thinking:

Waste pipe over here is 32mm or 40mm, you can get it in push fit or glue type, it's about £3 a lenth from b&q and the bends and t's about £1.50 each. The problem you will have is the corner pieces, as they're not plumbing bits. our water pipe is 15mm or 22mm but it's not pvc pipe it tends to be very bendy and have a mind of its own, it's also a bit more expensive than waste pipe.

Bluetooth said:
Waste pipe over here is 32mm or 40mm, you can get it in push fit or glue type, it's about £3 a lenth from b&q and the bends and t's about £1.50 each. The problem you will have is the corner pieces, as they're not plumbing bits. our water pipe is 15mm or 22mm but it's not pvc pipe it tends to be very bendy and have a mind of its own, it's also a bit more expensive than waste pipe.

But overflow pipe is smaller, as Steve's post above.

Update:

I did it! No 3 way corners needed, just T connectors joined directly to corners! :LOL:

60057_10151308389609380_1350221237_n.jpg

154908_10151308389734380_1940940557_n.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's too late for Caelan'smummy, but you could also look at the electrical conduit tubing from electrical material suppliers.

This is also available in white with a similar range of fittings for corners, etc., and is also push-fit.

CaelansMummy said:
If anyone would like measurements to replicate mine I would be more than happy to message them :D

Does look super! Well done :) can I have details to try and make my own please :) thank you!

What a great idea!

How many lengths of pipe did you use in the end?

That looks like electrical conduit to me as I made one myself for a home made backdrop stand.As you can see from the last picture the slightest weight makes it bend and distort,mine collapsed, be warned

Sorry I haven't been online, I will message the measurements for those asking!

The frame is very sturdy, it does look bent but its because I didn't push the pipes in all the way for the quick photo! The support bars keep it very sturdy, without those it would struggle to hold one blanket!

Yeah they use the 3 way corners though which I couldn't seem to get hold of for some reason. The ones I ordered were too big so sent them back.

I like the longer pipes so get a nice depth of field really. This is why I did it so decided I may as well have some support beams.

So for the measurements folks!

You will need:

22mm overflow pipe x7 (come in 2 meter lengths in wickes at £1.03 approx each I think if memory serves me right!)

8x corner connectors
10x T connectors

Pipes to be cut as follows:

3x 100cm (These are the front, top and bottom support beams)
8x 66cm
2x 49cm
4x 44cm
2x 70cm (These can be a bit less if you like, background height dependent - I probably made it a little too high and may alter it)

4x 4.5cm (These are to connect the corner connector direct to the T connector)

I know his is an old thread and @CaelansMummy hasn't been in for a while but I'm trying to do the same thing and can't see her Pictures anymore to see how she connected the corners and t connectors together. Please come back!!!

Back