Beginner Newcastle/Gateshead's Millennium Bridge At Night

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this on my new Nikon D3200, all feedback welcome as I'm new to this :)

16667967578_9401958e32_o.jpg

It's a nice shot, well composed, the exposure is about right and it's reasonably sharp. There are two small areas for improvement, I think. It could be sharper - are you suffering lack of focus or motion blur? - and night shots almost always look better when there is some colour in the sky e.g. taken in the so-called blue hour. That would have the welcome side effect of ensuring that the buildings don't vanish into the background.

Not a bad effort at all.

If you wanted to get all swanky (and assuming you had a tripod) you could try a long exposure so the water and reflection became smooth.

Also, others may disagree on the ethics but I would black out the luminous sign on the right as it draws the eye somewhat.

Take note of what Simon says about "blue hour" too, it does tend to work a bit better but you need to know your location as it doesn't last that long.

Blue hour good advice
Tripod very good advice
Slower shutter speed worth exploring when you use your new tripod.
Experiment with lots of different settings and compositions.

Good attempt. Try shooting a bit earlier and use tripod for longer exposure. Be prepared to spend time at the spot, experimenting with different exposure times. Make sure if you are using a tripod to set the ISO to its lowest value to bring out the best in colours.

As above, a good effort. If you step a little further back you can get the whole reflection of the bridge from either side, and a little earlier would mean that there is some light on the sage as well which tends to go black later on. The exposure is fine and at least there is no light pollution which turns the sky that weird orange colour. Not bad at all, and much better than my first efforts.

I like it as it is, other than the sign and railing in the foreground which could be cropped out or by moving a few metres. I really like the black background and I would have been very happy with this as my first attempt (or any attempt) with a new camera at night.

Back