Wales Newport, rural car park, lay-by, fields, for car photo

Name
John 'Jack'
Edit My Images
No
I'm searching for a suitable location by myself, I almost forgotten and just realised that Talk Photography does have a section for us to ask others for help on finding locations.

So here I am, thought to ask anyway.

I'm booking a model for an outdoors photo-shoot, posing next to a Land Rover, out in the countryside around Newport. (In the event that finding a rural location is not working, an alternative option is to go for urban setting in Newport.)

It's just a general casual wear, pose next to Land Rover. I need a less busy main road, or minor road, lay-by or off road car park, with view to countryside. Say, no more than 15 miles or no more than 30 minutes away from Newport.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

I can think of plenty of locations around Tredegar/Ebbw Vale, but dont know Newport very well.

Cowbridge or Rudry common?

There is a disused quarry and a working one just north of Tredegar. I know them well from my mountain biking days and they are typical Land Rover habitat. The whole area really, has tons of opportunities. Take a a look at Duffryn Crawnon as well and the Brecon Beacons beyond. Chartist's Caves too, bit of a hike but not too bad, just watch the adders, although they'll be quite dormant just now.

The quarries have been used many times for filming, Doctor Who, The Talisman, My Mutual Friend, Blake's Seven, just to name a few.

I was born and bred there, it is spectacular and as well as grand landscapes, there is devil is in the detail.

Probably 40 minutes or so from Newport.

PS, wrap up warm this time of year.

Last edited:
There is a disused quarry and a working one just north of Tredegar. I know them well from my mountain biking days and they are typical Land Rover habitat. The whole area really, has tons of opportunities. Take a a look at Duffryn Crawnon as well and the Brecon Beacons beyond. Chartist's Caves too, bit of a hike but not too bad, just watch the adders, although they'll be quite dormant just now.

The quarries have been used many times for filming, Doctor Who, The Talisman, My Mutual Friend, Blake's Seven, just to name a few.

I was born and bred there, it is spectacular and as well as grand landscapes, there is devil is in the detail.

Probably 40 minutes or so from Newport.

PS, wrap up warm this time of year.
Trefil quarry was one that came to my mind, stunning place, theres the road over Tredgar mountain, and loads of place around Pontiscill reservoir.

Guys,

Thank you for your suggestions, but most of them are bit too far out of Newport. Takes at least 45 minutes to get there according to Google.

A quarry is not what I have in mind for my project.

I've got one location planned so far, St Julian, by the River Usk.

The photo-shoot is two hours, I need to vary the background, so I'm going to try say 50 minutes there, then drive to somewhere else, preferably no more than 10 minutes away.

I'm struggling to find a second / alternative place around the town of Caerleon, just on the north of Newport.

I dont know that area very well, is there somewhere with the transporter bridge as a background? (if it's still there)

Back