newquay crantock beach

Name
michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning

I just got back from newquay,managed to get a couple of pic,s one morning. Took them in jpeg and raw. But photobucket doe,snt seem to like the raw files? Now these shots are far from good but i would like to see if anybody could crop or try and edit to see what can be done. I don,t have a copy of p,s and i,v never had a go at playing around with images after they,ve been taken.
I binned a lot of the jpegs hoping i could post raw pic,s straight up, but obviously i,m playing up so i,l post a couple of jpegs till i learn where i,m going wrong.
crantock
DSC_0007.jpg

porth
DSC_0019.jpg

crantock
DSC_0002.jpg

Thanks for looking
Edit away i,m interested to see what can be done thats if you don,t mind?
And any help posting raw files would be gratefull .

All the best
mick

Last edited:
Thankyou can that be cleaned up? i really haven,t a clue what can be done on p,s?

Thanks mick

I'm not sure - I normally don't bother... but I would be interested to find out - normally a lens hood can fix it on the site.. but I'm guessing P/Shop could sort it - but I await comments on how... As you can tell I don't do editing :(

ok cool once again thankyou for your comments

all the best
mick

OK, now Im no expert but I like the look of the location, so heres a quick c&c:

1. too much space top and bottom, I can see you're trying to get the footprints to lead into the middle of the frame but maybe you need to try shooting it from down on the deck, change the perspective a bit...
2.Nice shot, but very dark. Try experimenting with it in Photoshop or Lightroom...if you shoot RAW you have more scope with PP
3. Get further down on the deck and shoot from there, too much empty space in top half of frame. Youve clipped that rock on the foreground. id say the shot has potential if you moved further over to the right and got more of the tidal water in the frame, let the lught play off the waer for a more pleaseing effect...there's just empty sand in the left hand side of the shot...

You cant post raw files directly, but its good youre shooting raw as theres much more scope for post production, things like white balance...
As to what you should do with the pics to mprove them, well i think you need to get a copy of something like Lightroom and then have a look at the effects some of the presets can give you (it comes with a bunch of presets that you can apply to your images for different effects, you can then export these to Jpegs)...:)

Hi Darrenb

Thankyou for comments all taken on board.
I will look into getting a copy of photoshop and have a go editing them.
once again thankyou

mick

I really like the textured skies in the first two. #3 perhaps needed to go portrait.

Raw files need to be converted. There is a list of free downloads in the processing section I think. You don't need PS. Worth shooting in raw even if you haven't yet got Photoshop, because you can go back to the images later and work on them.

If you are short of funds at the moment ref PS, download The Gimp. Free, and full of good features.

thankyou for your comments, i will try and find that software now.
Many thanks

Mick

Yup, good advice there, the gimp is free and its good....

If you know anyone who is a student or a teacher, they will be able to buy Adobe lightroom for you at a major discount - Adobe discount their products heavliy for educational use....unfortunately Adobe products a re a tad expensive, I think lightroom is about £200......PS is probably three times that!

However, there is a cut down version of Photoshop called photoshop elements....a lot cheaper and it's sometimes bundled free with scanners....

Oooh wow, this brings back memories. I went to Crantock for my summer holidays every year from the age of 4 to 18. Can't for the life of me figure out where you got the second image from, but 2 and 4 I know well. A long walk when the tide is out.

Oooh wow, this brings back memories. I went to Crantock for my summer holidays every year from the age of 4 to 18. Can't for the life of me figure out where you got the second image from, but 2 and 4 I know well. A long walk when the tide is out.

Hi Squawk
It is a beautifull place i love it down there espeacilly when the summer season has finished. The second pic has you stumped because its not crantock!! its Porth beach.

Yup, good advice there, the gimp is free and its good....

If you know anyone who is a student or a teacher, they will be able to buy Adobe lightroom for you at a major discount - Adobe discount their products heavliy for educational use....unfortunately Adobe products a re a tad expensive, I think lightroom is about £200......PS is probably three times that!

However, there is a cut down version of Photoshop called photoshop elements....a lot cheaper and it's sometimes bundled free with scanners....

Hi Darrenb

Thankyou for all your help. Your pic,s at brighton are stunning!!

Hi

gota copy of gimp yesterday, i must admit i don,t know what i,m doing with it lol. Anyway played around with it and here,s the results.

PorthDSC_0019.jpg

Thanks
Mick

Good start Mick - definitely woken the image up. You need to grasp how to select/mask different areas so that you can selectively apply PP. In this instance your original sky was great, but you needed to selectively lift the beach. You've lifted both, which means that you have lost one of the elements that made the shot so good, and you now have blown out areas as well.

Have a read through the tutorials section and you will soon get the hang of it. Photoshop, Corel PSP and The Gimp all work in very similar ways, and each has features that you prefer over the other. I use CS4, but still use the other two as well.

Hi horrocks

Once again your advice is great didn,t consider the sky!! thankyou i,m going to do a lot of reading and see how i can get my head around gimp. Thankyou so much for your help and advice!!

All the best
Mick

Back