Newton rings

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
The last few rolls of film I have developed, when scanned they have loads of Newton rings, is this somthing I'm doing wrong or is it down to the fact that it's poundland film?

It's to do with the film touching the glass in some way or another. If the film is particularly curly it can happen... Could be that it's cheap film or it could be the way it has been developed, not sure to be honest.

Post up some examples and let's see if we can get to the root of the problem.

Going through the deepest darkest cupboards at my office I found some scanner cleaning fluid that touts that it helps to remove Newton rings as one of it's primary functions. This was a couple of years ago, and I can't remember exactly what it's called. If I have time tomorrow I'll have another look and find out exactly what it is. If I do find it you'd be welcome to collect it, but given my location I doubt it's really viable - it would be at least a 28 hour drive there and back.

cant find any that I have saved, ill rescan them in. From what I can remember the negs were quite curly. Strange it only happens with that poundland film!

It's usually down to the glass touching the shiny side of the neg, just use some anti newton glass and you should be fine.

cant find any that I have saved, ill rescan them in. From what I can remember the negs were quite curly. Strange it only happens with that poundland film!

I'm tempted to argue that this is could be a big big clue. I've never found any real bargains in photography - you get what you pay (through the nose) for in general.

Yea it's no surprise really, although when I had a roll developed at tesco months ago, no sign of the rings then.

erm I've scanned many different makes of film, but mostly used/use Boots/Tesco and Asda and have never come across Newton rings except when I did a test because someone said put the neg to the glass for some forgotten reason...but OTOH I've been using OOD film for ages, and just maybe the new Kodak colorplus may have a problem, but I'd be surprised.

erm I've scanned many different makes of film, but mostly used/use Boots/Tesco and Asda and have never come across Newton rings except when I did a test because someone said put the neg to the glass for some forgotten reason...but OTOH I've been using OOD film for ages, and just maybe the new Kodak colorplus may have a problem, but I'd be surprised.

hmmm, Ill try another roll and see what happens. Strange as it was the last three had a few images where they were present. Never had them before.

I've only ever had it when using cheap processing from the likes of Jessops/Boots etc where it gets run through rollers. Never had an issue with dip and dunk processing or "expensive" films.

Sometimes I use old bulk B/W film for testing out a new camera, and was just interested in seeing if there was anything on the neg etc, and have noticed at a few times.... drying circles because of slapdash work.

Back