Next Camera My Final Three..

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys..
I will be getting a new camera next week and just wondered what you thought, I have set a limit of about £700 to include lens.
I have tried as many as I can and deleted them from the list for lack of lens, being to small, of even just too old, anyhow here's my choice of three.

I've used a 18-55 as a starting point to try and keep it fair.

!. Nikon D 90 lens kit 18-55 VR @ £699.
2. Canon 60 D lens kit 18-55 VR @ £760.
3, Pentax K5 lens kit 18-55 VR @ £699. after £90 money back

PS. There was a Nikon D90 lens kit 18-105 VR @ £651, But I think this has a cheaper lens fitted (??)
All these three feel great in my hands for ease of use and it will be a close call so what do you think?
I will be adding other lens at latter dates.

I would be grateful for any comments.

Cheers

Last edited:
The D90 is a much older design, not that it's suddenly become a bad camera. Personally I'd go for the Canon ( tilt screen, huge lens line up and more avaiable secondhand).

The K5 feels great to me and if the results are as good as the Nikon D7000 (same sensor) then it'll also produce stunning images, the Ltd ancake lenses look quite tempting as well.

The D90 is a much older design, not that it's suddenly become a bad camera. Personally I'd go for the Canon ( tilt screen, huge lens line up and more avaiable secondhand).

The K5 feels great to me and if the results are as good as the Nikon D7000 (same sensor) then it'll also produce stunning images, the Ltd ancake lenses look quite tempting as well.

Thanks for your thoughts and I guessed the D 90 is a little older..

+1 for number 2. The lens range alone is enough to swing to Canon. I've ttried 3rd party lenses on my 7D and 5DMkII but the best outcome is with the original Canon lenses.

Canon +1 have a look at the 50d its cheaper and a great camera! Depends of u want video or not ...

Again, another vote for the Canon.
This is not for the fact i'm a canon fanboy or anything like, I believe if the camera feels right, then use it, its the pictures that count.

However, here are my reasons:
*The D90 is older, the 60D is the latest in a line of quality cameras from the xxD range.
*There is more "used" camera equipment for sale for Canon and Nikon products, which is why I wouldnt get the K5
*ITS A CANON (Ok, slight fanboy moment ;) )

Any of them!! They are all much of a muchness, all good camera, it depends on what feels best for you and you like the look of. D90 is a cracking camera, I used to have one.

You will probably get people like me pushing Nikon, Canon users pushing Canon, and if there are any Pentax users here, they will push that. If you aspire to upgrade considerably in the future then you may want to place a bit more thought into lens lineup, bit for general stuff u cant go wrong with either.

Probably the K5 is the best performing camera, but for me I would want to stick with either of the big guns to make it easier borrowing kit from others/getting new kit. The good thing about the K5 is the vast quantity of older MF lenses on the market so depends what you would like to go with.

Probably the K5 is the best performing camera, but for me I would want to stick with either of the big guns to make it easier borrowing kit from others/getting new kit. The good thing about the K5 is the vast quantity of older MF lenses on the market so depends what you would like to go with.

Yes. That.

Whatever you go for out of those three, I doubt you'll end up having regrets.

Again, another vote for the Canon.
This is not for the fact i'm a canon fanboy or anything like, I believe if the camera feels right, then use it, its the pictures that count.

However, here are my reasons:
*The D90 is older, the 60D is the latest in a line of quality cameras from the xxD range.
*There is more "used" camera equipment for sale for Canon and Nikon products, which is why I wouldnt get the K5
*ITS A CANON (Ok, slight fanboy moment ;) )

Good point about the '' used'' equipment I would have to take that into account.. :)

Any of them!! They are all much of a muchness, all good camera, it depends on what feels best for you and you like the look of. D90 is a cracking camera, I used to have one.

You will probably get people like me pushing Nikon, Canon users pushing Canon, and if there are any Pentax users here, they will push that. If you aspire to upgrade considerably in the future then you may want to place a bit more thought into lens lineup, bit for general stuff u cant go wrong with either.

I will be getting other lens at a later date.. :)

I have the Canon 60D, personally I would try to barter with the shop, try Morris Photo, and go for a body and Canon 28-135 lens, superb kit.

For image quality, I'd go D90 - it's a FAB camera and produces nicer out-of-camera images than the 60D in my opinion*

Also, that and a 18-105VR is a great setup! Don't forget to check used prices though, some bargains to be had.

Cheers,
James

*Please don't ask me to back this up, it's a personal opinion based on having had access to both cameras. Take it for what it is, my opinion only!

I tried both the D90 and the 60D, I ended up splashing out on the 60D and haven't regretted it since. It felt a lot more comfortable in my hand and the flip out screen is a god-send!!!

I'm sure you'd be happy with either but for me the Canon won ;-)

Hope this helps

All good feed back and some good points, and no real bad ones..

Cheers so far..

Reading this thread, I would say its a toss up between the Canon and Nikon, again, I would still go with the Canon.

Go in to Jessops and have another handle of the camera, make 100% sure that you are buying something that you are happy with

For image quality it would probably be the Pentax, that sensor produces very nice results indeed. Good colour rendition and dynamic range. It's the same as the D7000 sensor, although the firmware will be different.

What about a s/h D300? A step up from the cameras on your list...

Last edited by a moderator:
Having tried all 3 I would take the K-5. Much better build, fully weather sealed with inbuilt shake reduction. Superb pancake primes (wish I could get some of those for my Canon 50D), 7 fps, superb high ISO and dynamic range to name just a few benefits.

The K5 also uses dng raw, which will open up on a vast variety of raw developers. As mentioned above too, the image stabilizer is in camera so any lens you choose will benefit from that. The AF also has more cross types.

I'm too late but please remember guys, no trading outside classifieds. It's a guaranteed way to get classifieds access removed.

If your not bothered about the video then find a 50d! Its bigger, built better and amazing. I only steped to the 7d for the 19 af points and better low end iso! Thats the only reason.

If your not bothered about the video then find a 50d! Its bigger, built better and amazing. I only steped to the 7d for the 19 af points and better low end iso! Thats the only reason.

I have to say, I do love my 50D and rushed to get one before they all disapeared when the 60D was released as its slightly smaller

I remember reading a lot of good things about that 18-105 VR lens...

If you want another opinion :shrug: the K 5's inbuilt stabilising system will pay for itself time and again when you buy lenses.
The Canon's swing out screen is a VERY BIG plus,I have one on a Canon bridge camera,and hey ,they are sooo! good for awkward shots.

The D300 is a great camera but the newer cameras are moving ahead with sensors.

What you will find is Canon owners will recommend Canon cameras and Nikon owners will recommend Nikon camera because thats what they use. You have set a price range and mentioned certain cameras within that range, the next thing is to see which is easier to access the menus for you not anyone else. The one other point to make is look at cost of things like spare batteries -flashguns-lenses before you decide.

Realspeed

Being a neutral (Sony Owner) out of your line up there is only one I'd go for and thats the Pentax, as someone has already mentioned there are oodles of great old Pentax glass out there to be had cheaply, on the downside if you ever want to change makes then prepare for larger depreciation of your equipment.

realspeed said:
What you will find is Canon owners will recommend Canon cameras and Nikon owners will recommend Nikon camera because thats what they use. You have set a price range and mentioned certain cameras within that range, the next thing is to see which is easier to access the menus for you not anyone else. The one other point to make is look at cost of things like spare batteries -flashguns-lenses before you decide.

Realspeed

I am a Nikon shooter but I recommended the K5 lol

So just as a line in the sand bench mark and the lens out of the box question.
Of my cameras listed and all set on Auto which will give the best pictures.

I Have a 50D and it is a smashing bit of kit, worth looking at with your budget i reckon. I still use my 40d regularly and that is a lot of camera for the money!

Well its sure given me something to think about.. at the moment I'm leaning to the 60D or the K5 but I will be going down to have another fiddle at Multi Media ( Comet /Currys) in Malaga this afternoon.

Paul, to be honest you 'should' be able to produce stunning images from any of these cameras, I would have swapped the 90 for the 7000 just to bring your choices up to date, camera 'feel' is a very important part of the choice, at the end of the day it's up to you, have you actually held any of them in your hands, if not that's the first thing to do, after that you may not need to ask any questions.
I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up with (y)

Ha, you posted whilst I was typing lol

Last edited:
Back