Next Camera to buy???

What do you shoot?
What would you like to shoot?
Is low light performance a high priority?
Do you need loads of AF points?
What is your budget?
Why do you feel you need to make a step up?
What lenses do you have?
Have you budgeted for potentially needing new lenses?
Why is the rum gone?

i went from that to a 60d think newer model is the 70d but cracking camera

What do you shoot?
What would you like to shoot?
Is low light performance a high priority?
Do you need loads of AF points?
What is your budget?
Why do you feel you need to make a step up?
What lenses do you have?
Have you budgeted for potentially needing new lenses?
Why is the rum gone?

The rum is...always gone

At the moment i am the resident photographer in a local nightclub so low light photography is there

I have been offered a stand in job for a wedding photography company and i feel the 400D isnt a match for this, i might be wrong on that

I like to shoot anything really, from landscapes to portraits

At the moment i have a 50mm 1.8f, 18-55mm (kit lens) and 80-200mm

I dont know if a step up is needed, thats where you fine people come in, people with alot more experience and advice than myself

My budget at the moment is up to £400, could double that if i wait after october after my own wedding

Spend it on a used 17-55 f2.8. Basically a crop L lens and sharp as hell. Great for gigs, I shot most of mine using one.
Upgrading the body to something significantly better is going to cost a fair bit more than budget.
The lens will make an immediate difference and still be worth money if you go full frame in future.

I agree on upgrading the lens to something faster (ie f/2.8). The question I always ask when I think about upgrading or adding new gear is, "what am I missing?" or "what do I need the new equipment to do?" That helps me to identify a short list, it also helps the good people on here know which direction to pint you in.

After looking at what you've said you like to shoot, be prepared for people to suggest the Canon 6D. That jumped straight into my mind, it is very good for low light as you get usable pictures at high ISO. The downside will be that because it is FF, you will need to replace the 18-55 (or 17-55 if you get one) and f2.8 lenses for FF don't come cheap.

full frame would cost him a lot more as he would need new lenses too as the EF-S wouldnt fit.

Personally I wouldnt bother with a DSLR any more. I am selling all of my canon gear and going the Sony A7r route. I demo'd one for a couple of weeks and absolutely love it. I also had an olympus OMD m5 mkii for the week which is a micro 4/3rds camera and its fantastic! cheaper than any full frame canon too. the image stabilization in the body is incredible.

I agree on upgrading the lens to something faster (ie f/2.8). The question I always ask when I think about upgrading or adding new gear is, "what am I missing?" or "what do I need the new equipment to do?" That helps me to identify a short list, it also helps the good people on here know which direction to pint you in.

After looking at what you've said you like to shoot, be prepared for people to suggest the Canon 6D. That jumped straight into my mind, it is very good for low light as you get usable pictures at high ISO. The downside will be that because it is FF, you will need to replace the 18-55 (or 17-55 if you get one) and f2.8 lenses for FF don't come cheap.

There are plenty of fast FF lenses that cost very little; 24mm f2.8, 35mm f/2 mk1 or 2, 85mm f/1.8, a plethora of 50mm lenses (his 50mm will work brilliantly on FF).

It's only the zooms that cost a lot.

full frame would cost him a lot more as he would need new lenses too as the EF-S wouldnt fit.
He's only got one EFS hasn't he? And that's only the 18-55 (non IS as kitted in the 400d) which is about £50 worth!

A 6d with a 35mm f/2, he has the 50 and maybe an 85mm f/1.8 is a great FF, fast low light setup for not that much (body cost aside), especially if he buys used.

I think the 400d with even a fast lens might struggle in nightclubs.

With regards to mirror less systems, be aware you always lose a stop give or take of light due to the translucent mirror. Consider this if you do lots of low light work.

Last edited:
Some of the results I get from the 400d in the club are decent, but I know they can be a lot better, I'm just unsure if it's the camera or the lens I need to upgrade

Try some prime lens, it would open up a whole new world

on your crop its equal to aroun 80mm I think so quite a telephoto lens. I do love the 1.8, such a bargain lens and very sharp. I have one and the f1.2 and prefer the results from the 1.8!

Canon 60s and tamron 17-50 f2.8. You just be able to afford 2nd hand in your budget if you sell your 400d

Back