Next Lens

DarrenToogood

JAMES CHARLES HARRIES
Name
Darren Toogood
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,

Saving up for a new lens however not sure on second hand prices. I currently have a 70-200 L for motorsport, however I am looking for something to cover 70 and under.

The 28-70 2.8 L has come to my attention, however I can't seem to find a second hand price for it - Has anyone got any idea on this?

On the other hand, the 24-105 4.0 L could be an option, however ideally looking for some quick glass like the 2.8.

What would you guys say is the wise option, and do you guys know the prices?

Not too sure about the prices! But if your after a lens that is a good general walkabout lens, people will generally tell you to buy the 17-55! That is of course, if you plan on staying on a crop format camera!

I have the 18-55 kit lens, however seeing how the sharpness is not there. I was considering the 17-40 L, but I don't tend to use wide angle like that very often...

Well the 17-55 is a million miles away the the 18-55 kit lens! it has a constant f/2.8 as well as IS and USM focussing! Trust me from personal experiance, do not dismiss this lens without thought to it!

In the mid 20-70mm range there are at least 6 possible lenses that you can consider.

Canon 24-70
Canon 28-70
Sigma 24-60
Sigma 24-70
Sigma 24-70 HSM
Sigma 28-70

all of which are f/2.8 constant aperture

Thinking about it i think you can check ebay completed listings for 2nd hand price!

Only looking for Canon L at the moment.

I think that only leaves you with a choice of
24-70
24-105
16-35
17-40

If you're looking for a decent range under 70 leaves you only with the two zooms starting at 24mm

Don't be a brand whore though, don't ignore other lenses just because they're not Canon or don't have a red ring around them

Actually, the 28-70mm is also L branded if it is really that important to you.

It's a constant f2.8 so gives you an extra stop of light over the 24-105

Back