1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. marcg868

marcg868

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    After a couple of ideas for lenses.
    Wanting to get into landscape photography
    And also after a longer lens for aviation.

Currently have the following
    Sigma 17-50
    Canon 50mm
    Canon 55-250 is

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Edit My Images:
    No
    What you don't like about on your Sigma 17-50 for landscape? I know is not ultra wide but it should do the job, unless you need wider then 17mm? I would invest in some filters for landscape. i.e 10 stop, grad filter etc.

3. andyred

andyred

Name:
    And
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Budget would help people offer good suggestions...

For Aviation, I'd recommend the Canon 300 F4 IS or 400 F5.6.

For more flexibility, the Canon 100-400 is worth a look, the mkii is well worth a look.

maarten.dhaese likes this.
  4. Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A really nice landscape lens option for your APS-C body is the Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

I bought this even though I had (and still have) the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

The latter was too heavy as a walkabout lens so even though the 10-18 is lighter, slower and somewhat plastic, it's IQ is very good. FWIW, the price is very reasonable. The fact it has Image Stabilisation is a bonus but stuck on a tripod it's easier to turn it off, useful on handheld shots.

This review is useful.

View: https://youtu.be/D4o4oMf3Av

The 10-22 has no IS but again not really an issue for landscape work, but it is a weighty beast! It's also over £400 so if cash is a problem then second hand is an option. I got mine off the forum and it does a great job.

If tou wat a fixed rime wide angle and happy to go manual then one of the Samyang range may prove interesting. I have the 14mm version which use mostly for star trails.

I tried thr Sigma 10-20 WA DC lenses but neither was as good as the Canon 10-22.

As for airshows etc I use an EF 70-200 L f/4 with a 1.4x TC

Bit of a handful but will do. If I was going to go further then I eould be lookung at the Sigma 150-600 Sport for it's weather sealing. It is heavy!

Good luck

Steve

maarten.dhaese likes this.
  5. marcg868

marcg868

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Budget £5/600 preferably new.
    Love a L lens but I'd probably get smashed by the wife. I like my 55-250 in is excellent for price, I just wish I had 50-100 mm sometimes.