1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Okay Guest, it's coming up to the festive season. If you'd like to take part in this year's Secret Santa gift exchange, click the link below and speak to our resident Jolly Red Guy.

Dismiss Notice
  1. marcg868

marcg868

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    After a couple of ideas for lenses.
    Wanting to get into landscape photography
    And also after a longer lens for aviation.

Currently have the following
    Sigma 17-50
    Canon 50mm
    Canon 55-250 is

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Edit My Images:
    No
    What you don't like about on your Sigma 17-50 for landscape? I know is not ultra wide but it should do the job, unless you need wider then 17mm? I would invest in some filters for landscape. i.e 10 stop, grad filter etc.

3. andyred

andyred

Name:
    And
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Budget would help people offer good suggestions...

For Aviation, I'd recommend the Canon 300 F4 IS or 400 F5.6.

For more flexibility, the Canon 100-400 is worth a look, the mkii is well worth a look.

maarten.dhaese likes this.
  4. Hugh Jarse

Hugh Jarse

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    A really nice landscape lens option for your APS-C body is the Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

I bought this even though I had (and still have) the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM.

The latter was too heavy as a walkabout lens so even though the 10-18 is lighter, slower and somewhat plastic, it's IQ is very good. FWIW, the price is very reasonable. The fact it has Image Stabilisation is a bonus but stuck on a tripod it's easier to turn it off, useful on handheld shots.

This review is useful.

View: https://youtu.be/D4o4oMf3Av

The 10-22 has no IS but again not really an issue for landscape work, but it is a weighty beast! It's also over £400 so if cash is a problem then second hand is an option. I got mine off the forum and it does a great job.

If tou wat a fixed rime wide angle and happy to go manual then one of the Samyang range may prove interesting. I have the 14mm version which use mostly for star trails.

I tried thr Sigma 10-20 WA DC lenses but neither was as good as the Canon 10-22.

As for airshows etc I use an EF 70-200 L f/4 with a 1.4x TC

Bit of a handful but will do. If I was going to go further then I eould be lookung at the Sigma 150-600 Sport for it's weather sealing. It is heavy!

Good luck

Steve

maarten.dhaese likes this.
  5. marcg868

marcg868

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Budget £5/600 preferably new.
    Love a L lens but I'd probably get smashed by the wife. I like my 55-250 in is excellent for price, I just wish I had 50-100 mm sometimes.